• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:58 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Journey of the Five Battle Logs

Started by Jumza, March 29, 2013, 01:16:44 pm

Jumza

I got the ok from Elric to make this topic so,

Post your Walkthroughs, Playthroughs, Lets Plays, interesting fights, and anything that you think would go into a Battle Log here!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

3lric

Just finished watching this a few minutes ago, looking forward to seeing how well you do for the rest of Chapter 1

Jumza

March 29, 2013, 08:23:48 pm #3 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:34:11 pm by Jumza
I ran out of potions on Barius Hill...
And phoenix downs.

I'm glad I decided to do a practice run before recording a playthrough, because I clearly am out of practice :/ .

Also Lold at letter from the Bunansa's
"even though I was there, I feel I wasn't as useful as the others" (or something along those lines)
I'm glad Mustadio finally understands XD
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Barren

Quote from: Elric on March 29, 2013, 07:42:08 pm
Just finished watching this a few minutes ago, looking forward to seeing how well you do for the rest of Chapter 1

I will do my best from that point forward. After this weekend I can make the time to make another video.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Jumza

March 29, 2013, 09:00:34 pm #6 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:06:22 pm by Jumza
Unlucky Natures Wrath from a squid standing on a rock got Snake petrified in Zerikile Falls, it was actually a good thing because he had 1 hp left, and I'm low on phoenix downs.

*Next Battle*
Aw, I thought that chemist had shades on. Oh well, lets see how I do in Araguay...

Celdia

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on March 29, 2013, 08:26:45 pm
That fight's also fairly easy to lose control of, don't feel too bad.

There's a goddamned understatement. I'm taking a break from the patch after what happened there.

Been taking down some rambling thoughts as I've been playing and I guess this thread is as good as any to post them in with some editing for cohesion. I am going to place these in spoiler brackets for the time being, though anyone in this thread should really be prepared for spoilers.

I have gone out of my way to avoid reading spoilers of this patch for so many months now, including not playing the demo so just about everything in this is completely new to me. That said, I have seen a version of the opening event sequence before but that didn't stop me grinning from ear-to-ear watching it today. It is somehow better than I remember so I can only assume some more tweaks went into it since I saw it last. I about died when camera zoomed on the swords being tossed down. A simple cinematic detail like that just made the whole sequence stand apart from anything I've seen done with events before. Flawless work, easily exceeding anything from the original work.

Not a whole lot to say about the opening battle. Simple, straight-forward, effective for setting the tone and getting the Five working together. Looking around at everyone's skillsets, I think Smoke Break is my favorite skill. Snake's cigarettes are iconic and I think that this is the perfect way to include them as part of his kit. Aside from that, the Ultima/Altima skills made me smile. Going on record here to say I'm so glad you all decided to keep the PSX naming conventions in place for this.

Moving on, I enjoyed seeing the summoning of Cloud event again, even with the nice new camera pan ending it showing that it wasn't a perfect copy-paste of the original event. I love the older Ramza and Alma sprites and portraits. Unique poses for the formation sprites is a wonderful idea and I want to kiss whoever thought that one up. I don't know why I haven't seen that before when doing it seems like such an obvious idea now that I've seen it once. All these small details add up to a lot.

I didn't actually notice what room they were all making introductions to each other in until after the four of them leave to let Ramza and Alma talk alone. Amazing how a change in lighting can completely alter a room.

Second battle, I about died laughing when I saw "Geronimo!" in the pre-battle event. As for the battle itself...I was not happy. I must be on the RNG's bad side going into this or something because I got punished pretty bad. Also there came a point where I could not get to where Link had fallen, but Bart could, and did, and proceeded to raise him over and over again so the nearby Ranger could keep putting arrows into his Hylian ass. I think he wasted 6 Phoenix Downs before I finally got someone over there to do something about it. I came out of the fight with 1 potion and 1 PD before counting the War Trophies. I'll note that I used like 1 Potion and Bart used 2 PDs in the opening battle to kill skeletons. Nice as his portrait is with the little scar detail, I'm really beginning to hate Bart.

Now, when I saw her new sprite, I'd really hoped I'd be able to get a battle where I'd control Alma (or even having her actually join my main party for a while.) When I saw her, Rad, Lavian and Alicia in the next battle, I cheered. When I saw she had a fuck-off huge hammer for a weapon, I went squee. ^o^ And that was the ed of my happy. I thought the RNG hated on me in the fight before? I got completely fuckstomped here. I missed three 85% hits back to back to back, popped that AoE Defending skill and then watched Alma get wrecked after sucking up hits on 61%, 56% and 33% hit chances. Counting those, out of the first 8 attacks from the enemies, 5 were critical. I didn't even wait for the Game Over screen, I just hit Reset there. Go back into the fight, did not change my tactics and I completely wiped the floor with the enemies. They may as well have been made of paper for all the resistance they put up. Just goes to show how un-fun the RNG can make this game. With my mood only slightly improved, I pressed on.

I apparently have no life because I spent quite a bit of time reading through the Brave Story menu entries. With the letter from Byblos & Boco, I'm almost sad someone didn't edit the game font to put in a character to look like a chocobo print. Also, Ramza is only 18 years old? That beard makes him look a whole lot older. o.o   Also I was amused by how more people unlock under the People section as you read each entry. If this was a function in Vanilla, then my ignorance about the information in the Brave Story menus is definitely showing. As for the world map, I know I've seen the new image for it before, but seeing it in-game just really has such an impact.

I absolutely love the new Bar graphic. seeing everyone in the Shop and Soldier Office too is just great. +1 for whoever put those together.

Finally, Bariaus Hill. I laughed when I saw the lamia had a bitch-slap attack. Also it took me a couple of rounds to realize that Choco Cure had been changed in how it functions. That's nasty. I laughed again when the lamia fucking destroyed my party. Here's a screenshot of the fight after a second Discord. I tried to surround her and kill her. Didn't realize it was going to hit for more than half my HP on everyone. I do drop her but then Reraise triggers and she does it again. GG.

After that my will to try again is waning right now so I'm going to go do something else for a while and then come back to this. A few parting thoughts that I didn't put in my notes: the new sprites and portraits on everyone really all look amazing. Also the few skills I used that had visual effects had a feeling of modification to them. It's either that or I am just so out of touch with FFT that I've forgotten what most of the effects look like. Everything feels fresh and new again and despite getting my ass handed to me I'm having fun with FFT again. That is something I don't think I've been able to say for a long while now.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Jumza

March 29, 2013, 09:27:31 pm #8 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:36:22 pm by Jumza
I 100% agree with everything Celdia has said about... everything!
I love all the new graphic stuff (and I ended up squeeling more than she did I think XD) And I feel better knowing I didn't get pwned as much as she did.
To tell you the truth, when I saw that new title screen + the music + no intro video to skip, I started clapping, then awkwardly realized that you guys can't hear me.

Update on Araguay,
I lost, but it was an obvious mistake. This battle is by far the easiest of the patch so far, despite it being the second one I had to reset to, (I still need to beat it) the reason I lost was my forgetfullness. I neglected to re-stock my items as much as possible, so I had no form of healing other than wish :/ . (I still almost won though. If it weren't for the chemist with shock I probably would have)

RavenOfRazgriz

The RNG fucking HATES you, Celdia.

Holy SHIT. 

(Also, I will be making that last fight a little bit easier when we update for all the small bugs and typos everyone found, but that fight IS meant to be Jot5's Dorter Slums.  I'm sure you can get it without my update though, it's not terribly hard once you figure out what the enemies are actually up to.)

Jumza

That Rogue in Araguay with Jump+2 deserves acrobat or ninja status. I was chasing him around the map (so much move and jump, blegh) and he got to a point where he was at 7 height, and the rest of the 5 were at 2 height, cloud rushes up can't hit him with a braver because it would take too long, and so the Rogue jumps from his tall platform to 4 spaces away 5 height lower than he was, right behind snake and shoots him in the back, killing him. It looked awesome. Jump+2 was a good choice for this map XD.

Just felt like sharing that :)

Jumza

March 29, 2013, 10:33:15 pm #12 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:44:51 pm by Jumza
I hate random battles >.<
I had to reset when I got one in Araguay, had to reset when I got one in Zerikile. They're way too hard. The 5 just drop like flies. It's not too bad though cuz I like the new Game Over text.

Also, (I need to start adding spoilers to my posts, don't want to ruin the story for people, but I guess they should expect spoilers here idk...)
when Agrias did that little hop onto the rock at Barius Valley I died laughing, I don't know why, but it was just so funny.

RavenOfRazgriz

They'll be easier when you actually have a couple skills.  If you're running around with nothing but base job + Item most of the fights are doable but actually having some Wizards and Rangers and stuff makes things a lot easier.

Also, the side you unlock first on an area is obviously easier than the side you hit walking back :u

Jumza

Yeah, I guess I'll try to do some more randoms to get some new abilities on the 5 tomorrow, because Agrias Link and Ramza got their asses handed to them by Tesnya, (although Agrias nearly had him but then the enemy ranger got a double turn >.< managed to take her down with a crit).

3lric

Quote from: Celdia on March 29, 2013, 09:16:50 pm
It is somehow better than I remember so I can only assume some more tweaks went into it since I saw it last. I about died when camera zoomed on the swords being tossed down. A simple cinematic detail like that just made the whole sequence stand apart from anything I've seen done with events before. Flawless work, easily exceeding anything from the original work.

I'm glad you noticed, a lot of tweaks were done to the final version for every event, this is part of why it took so long to be released, with Raven and Xifanie judging my every event, we had to get everything to nearly flawless before calling them finished. :P

I think Smoke Break is my favorite skill. Snake's cigarettes are iconic and I think that this is the perfect way to include them as part of his kit.

Hahaha, you can thank Raven for that one.

Unique poses for the formation sprites is a wonderful idea and I want to kiss whoever thought that one up.

I was watching TV right before bed one night when this idea just randomly popped into my head out of no where,
and I thought the same thing once the idea came up. Why has no one thought of this before? We can use any image we want for those formation, so why keep the simple standing frames when we could do something that looks so much better?
Don't worry though, you don't have to kiss me, lol

I apparently have no life because I spent quite a bit of time reading through the Brave Story menu entries. With the letter from Byblos & Boco, I'm almost sad someone didn't edit the game font to put in a character to look like a chocobo print. Also, Ramza is only 18 years old? That beard makes him look a whole lot older. o.o

I'm very glad you read all the entries, maybe we should get a font edit for that :P
Also, did you also watch the backstory event? Be sure to check back from time to time
as new stuff appears, I'm extremely proud of how the bravestory turned out, and thanks
to Pride and Raven as well as several other members of the team that made this possible.

Also, Journey of the Five takes place roughly a year or so after Vanilla, the reason Ramza looks
so much different will be released to you shortly, if you haven't already figured it out yet ;)

As for the world map, I know I've seen the new image for it before, but seeing it in-game just really has such an impact.

I absolutely love the new Bar graphic. seeing everyone in the Shop and Soldier Office too is just great. +1 for whoever put those together.

For the worldmap we our friends Taichii and Mitchi to thank. As for the background images, this was Mitchi's entry
into Jot5, by just showing up one day with a shitload of custom images. I love ya lil buddy.

As for the problems in Barius Hill, Raven has nerfed this a bit since people seem to be having an issue from it,
but I assure you, once you pass that battle and can finally grind and such as you please, the game becomes much easier.
The beastmaster was another one of those "why not" moments of mine, and Raven kicked ass making it a reality,
however I probably choose a bit to early of an event for something so evil.

All in all, I'm glad you are enjoying it so much, the fact that I already know how critical you can be makes this mean even
more, and I'm sure I speak for the entire team when I say thank you and we hope you enjoy the rest of the chapter
as much as you've enjoyed the first 10% or so.

Quote from: Jumza on March 29, 2013, 09:27:31 pm
I 100% agree with everything Celdia has said about... everything!
I love all the new graphic stuff (and I ended up squeeling more than she did I think XD) And I feel better knowing I didn't get pwned as much as she did.
To tell you the truth, when I saw that new title screen + the music + no intro video to skip, I started clapping, then awkwardly realized that you guys can't hear me.

hahaha, Jumza you've shown sooooo much excitement for Chapter 1 and people like you as I've said before, gave me
a lot of inspiration to finally got this beast of a chapter released. It bring me much joy to see how positive of a reaction it is
getting.

Also the few skills I used that had visual effects had a feeling of modification to them.

I know you worked on some of the Jot5 skills for Raven so you will likely see those soon enough, I believe you were
the only one to work on them, so any other change would've been just messing with the stuff in FFTP.

RavenOfRazgriz

March 30, 2013, 12:39:21 am #16 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:00:30 am by RavenOfRazgriz
Quote from: Elric on March 30, 2013, 12:33:06 amI know you worked on some of the Jot5 skills for Raven so you will likely see those soon enough, I believe you were
the only one to work on them, so any other change would've been just messing with the stuff in FFTP.

This would be correct.

~90% of the unique looking animations were me just fucking with things to twist something that was in Vanilla into something that looked new.  The other ~10% or so are the ones Celdia sent me.  No one else has touched the Effect files otherwise.

Jumza

March 30, 2013, 09:15:41 am #17 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:24:31 am by Jumza
Did you make geomancy (natures wrath on the squids) have 100% status effects? Because this keeps happening to me. And it always happens every time.
Though eventually I managed to run into a rogue and a priest twice, and i got some free gil and items from those :)

3lric

hrm... Well I know that most monsters are suppose to Proc 100%. But this seems a bit wtf, lol. Raven should be able to answer once he wakes up, since he setup at the abilites and ASM's. I'm honestly not sure, but I would think that petrify should only at most be between 25-40% cuz 100% is FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT: He's fixing it right now, so hopefully he will release v1.01 within the next few hours.

There will likely be a v1.02 later tonight as well since i have some end chapter stuff to tweak. but that won't be until later tonight, since im leaving town for a little while to visit a Renaissance Festival

RavenOfRazgriz

Just Round Tripped a Squid in the face for about 5 minutes and couldn't replicate your issue with Nature's Wrath.  I only got Petrified roughly 20% of the time, which is the intended amount.  (Tested on psxfin.)  Double checked my settings on all these skills to be safe and those are also correct.

The only thing I can think of is that it's an error on whatever emulator you're using because there is some ASM involved in the proc chances of skills, but no one has ever reported that error before on any emulator.  :|