• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 10:29:04 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

need a question answered about text editing in fft

Started by fftDamion, March 10, 2011, 01:15:03 pm

fftDamion

hello there ive been fooling around with the programs to try and create my own version of fft , im not even sure i posted this in the right spot however like most of you i am a die hard FFT fan and would like to  make my own version to do this i need to edit speech text and class names and what not but i cant find in the text editor where the edit text in events would be located sorry if im not making any sense but could someone please help me out thanks guys

Eternal

Event text is handled with a program different from TacText. In order to edit event dialogue, you need the Event Compiler/Decompiler and CDMage. Simply extract TEST.EVT from the ISO using CDMage, use the Decompiler with TEST.EVT in the same folder, make your changes, recompile the event, and reimport TEST.EVT.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's kind of a lot to take in. :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

fftDamion

lol well i have an idea of what you were talking about but i dont know for sure lol so i will let you know how it goes keep looking to this forum just in case i run into problems if you dont mind?

Eternal

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

fftDamion

alright so i downloaded the files and extracted but when i go to used decpiler or compiler they both say file not found and dont work, how do i fix that so i can edit events

Eternal

TEST.EVT and the compiler/decompiler need to be in the same folder.

fftDamion

sorry i transfered the thread by accident, is there a chart i need to referance or can i somehow translate it to english to see the text to edit?

Eternal

I'm confused by what you're asking. What exactly is the problem?

fftDamion

heres an example of what im seeing when i open the file to edit text is this normal?

// __________________________________________________________________
//| Event Script x002 | Event Offset: x004000 | Text offset: x0048F9 |
// ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offset(x00004000)
//Remove the previous line if you wish not to override the offset in CONFIG.INI.
Text(x000008F9)
//Remove the previous line if you wish text to compile directly after instructions.

{7C}()
{58}()
{01}()
{00}()
{00}()
{E5}()
{34}()
{00}()
{59}()
{01}()
{6D}()
{00}()
{00}()
{5F}()
{02}()
{00}()

Celdia

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

fftDamion

close im looking for something similar to that, i just wanna edit the text in the events so i can make my sprites say what i want them to, im not ready for animations yet

fftDamion

like idk how to find what im looking for atm but an example of what im trying to do to test this is get sepheroth at the church to say something like "i will never be a memory" or something completely made up like "welcome to hell cloud" you know what i mean?

Eternal

If you scroll down enough in the events, there should be text. Just look for it with Ctrl+F.

fftDamion

thats hitting control f and searching event? or text?

Eternal

fftDamion

do you remember off hand what event the begining of the game is called?

Eternal

fftDamion

ok that does help now i just need to know how to find them cause when i hit control f it says cannot find, and all i see is message code

fftDamion

is this what im looking for? //INSTRUCTION SECTION END -  TEXT START
//Message x01
{{E3}08}{12}{3D}{2F}{38}{27}{28}{{F8}}
{{E3}00}{12}{FA}{27}{2C}{27}{31}{93}{37}{FA}{28}{3B}{33}{28}{26}{37}{FA}{3C}{32}{38}{FA}{37}{32}{FA}{29}{2C}{31}{27}{{F8}}
{38}{36}{FA}{2B}{28}{35}{28}{3E}{FA}{0B}{38}{37}{DA74}{FA}{2D}{38}{36}{37}{FA}{2C}{31}{FA}{37}{2C}{30}{28}{D9B6}{FA}{FA}{FA}{{F8}}
{11}{28}{35}{28}{37}{2C}{26}{FA}{{E0}}{DA74}{{F8}}
{2B}{24}{31}{27}{FA}{38}{36}{FA}{37}{2B}{28}{FA}{36}{37}{32}{31}{28}{3E}{{FE}}

//Message x02

if so what do i change to make it show text?

Eternal