• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:25:17 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

How life really began.

Started by CidIII, March 08, 2009, 11:42:09 pm

CidIII

March 08, 2009, 11:42:09 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009 ... 1&mbid=yhp

There's something to think about hmm...?
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Kokojo

March 08, 2009, 11:44:17 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
I WAS THE TURKEY ALL ALONG
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

CidIII

March 08, 2009, 11:45:06 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Fuck you, this is for serious conversation faggot.

I'm joking, sorry :(

But, seriously watch/read the article.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

March 09, 2009, 12:53:53 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Not to shoot you down Cid, but this has nothing to do with the origin of life; it's just an anthropomorhizing a explainable magnetic phenomenon.  However if this could address how amino acids form in a specific order to form a peptide which in turn would form together with other peptides in a specific order to form a polypeptide which would in turn form together with other polypeptides in a specific order to form a protein which in turn would form together with other proteins in a specific order to form DNA or RNA, then we have something on our hands.

These guys should look into that; if this magnetic phenom could cause that, then they have a legitimate claim to finding a possible origin of life.  But since the amino acids necessaary for the origin of life (carbon-based) are comprised of oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, and hydrogen which are strongly non-magnetic materials, this hypothesis, while being plausible, is highly improbable.

Someday we'll know how it all came together; science just hasn't figured it out yet.

CidIII

March 09, 2009, 02:47:14 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
I wasn't really saying that this was how life started, obviously there is more required for life than nickel.

And, who's to say that the first forms of life had RNA? There are simpler polymers, the first life form wasn't necessary as complex as life forms today. Amino Acids can form a peptide relatively easily, with the right materials and ideal conditions (which happen to be pretty damn close to that of deep sea vents).

I was mainly posting this with the thought of, well if something like nickel can move in such a way that it mimics the movement of living objects when something as simple as a magnetic field is provided, is it so far fetched to believe that somewhere along the line abiotic things suddenly produced life?

What this article showed to me was, the way life behaves isn't so "unique" as some think it is. If an inanimate substance such as nickel can naturally move and "consume" things in a manner similar to living things, then maybe life isn't such an impossible thing to create after all.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

March 09, 2009, 01:58:48 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I agree with most of what you have said, and am totally glad you posted the article, but understand my poignancy when your thread was named "How life reallly began".  I do appreciate your food for thought though, cuz' I dig on science.  I thoroughly enjoy intelligent conversation on scientific ideas.  

There was only one quote which I will dispute:
Quote from: "CidIII"Amino Acids can form a peptide relatively easily, with the right materials and ideal conditions.

Guided synthesis of a peptide is relatively simple, but not an unguided effort.  I'll get back to you on this, because I have to go look in a book to give you solid info.

AngrySurprisedFace

March 09, 2009, 06:35:03 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AngrySurprisedFace
Quote from: "CidIII"What this article showed to me was, the way life behaves isn't so "unique" as some think it is. If an inanimate substance such as nickel can naturally move and "consume" things in a manner similar to living things, then maybe life isn't such an impossible thing to create after all.

You forget that this nickel was aided by magnetic fields to even become one of those snake things.

I found the artical fascinating though.

CidIII

March 09, 2009, 07:34:49 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
No I didn't forget.