• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:34:01 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Official Sprite Request Section (Rarely fulfilled)

Started by Zozma, October 04, 2008, 11:30:04 pm

soxbaseball0328

I was tinkering around with some portraits in graphicsgale and came up with a few I like.

Devil May Cry 3 Vergil

DMC Devil May Cry Dante (2013)

Devil May Cry 4 Nero

Iron Man

(See attachments)
Given they're not done yet, but any suggestions as far as making the sprites for formation screens and battle would be greatly appreciated.

Kagebunji

All the portraits are very flat. You should add in more depth and shades. Few tips before that though:
-always use existing colors from FFT sprites/portraits. That way you will be sure nothing seems out of place color-wise
-use a LOT of references, FFT style of portraits is rather hard to grasp, but references will get you there with time
-try not to make work from scratch too often. While it may be neccesarry in some parts, like Iron Man, try to minimize it, leave work from scratch for later, once you get used to the style
These three steps are the fundamental rule for making FFT portraits pretty much.

Good luck with your future works, and welcome to the site!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

soxbaseball0328

Yeah. The more and more I look at people's avatars and sprites I can tell they need more depth. I'll go through all the existing sprites to get colors already there, there's a lot to choose from. Shading is another. I'll go over the walkthrough I saw earlier. I think it was Smash's thread.

Kagebunji

You can also give this one a go, once you get used to the style. Very well made and explained
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9180.0

soxbaseball0328

studied a lot. The biggest pain is managing what you can with limited colors.

Bottom line, it does make a difference as shown below:
Before and after

Kagebunji

You still need to add in colors and mess around with palette. Hair is still flat, cause you didn't add any colors for depth. Try looking at Olan, his side hair is pretty much the thing DmC Dante has. To squeeze in colors, try mixing browns with darker skin tones, they are close on the palette to each other, and spriters often do that to save up colors and add depth. Also, the eyes are completelly off, that's what I was talking about my saying references, did you see any character in FFT with such eyes? These will stand out and look bad in-game.

soxbaseball0328

Reks

No, but he's gonna give you critiques whether or not it IS finished.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

3lric

Correct, as is Kagebunji's job as the Spriting Moderator.

Also, you should start your own spriting thread, so this doesn't continue in the requests thread.
  • Modding version: PSX

soxbaseball0328

Understood.

I was gonna request them, until I decided to start making them myself.

Since were on the subject. I don't think i saw anyone request Domon Kashuu of Mobile Fighter: G Gundam. So I'll throw a request for him.

He'd be perfect for the attacks that chants and screaming the name's of attacks before said attacks.

Balbanes

Can anyone make Ramza in Orlandu's armor? With different colors?

Zafire

Ones I want for the patch I am working on...

A new Lucavi that isn't used (Forgive me if there is one already, haven't found it).
A generic Ninja-esque sprite wearing tighter, black clothing (Need for Nightblade class)
And the one I need the most is Algus wearing Knight armor of any kind, with his face/hair changed to look less.."preppy"

I know I'm going out on a limb, but I'll hold my hopes high!

Can't wait to show my patch off in a month or two, it's really coming along ^^

Timbo

Once I'm done adding the alternate translation to the Lion War it's back to my monster expansion patch. For this patch I need full use of all of the unit.bin and worldfce files. Here is what I need. I need a custom formation sprite for Byblos that fits into a human sized formation file. This allows me to add Flans in addition to Lamias and Tonberries.
  • Discord username: Timbo

3lric

Byblos won't fit a human sheet. And if you shrink it it'll kill the image. If you change the sprite itself to fit a human formation the sprite have the be heavily edited

Timbo

Quote from: Elric on January 25, 2014, 11:29:47 am
Byblos won't fit a human sheet. And if you shrink it it'll kill the image. If you change the sprite itself to fit a human formation the sprite have the be heavily edited
Exactly, this is beyond my abilities. I need an entirely new formation sprite, not an edited one.

3lric

Yes, but what I mean is that then you will need an all new sprite sheet as well to go with the new formation sprite

Timbo

Why would I need that? Jot5 has formation sprites that differ from the sprite sheet. He just needs to strike a pose that fits in the box. I've used the flans dead sprite and the ghosts wounded sprite in older drafts of this patch. I'm sure a talented spriter could lick this one frame sprite in no time flat.

3lric

I'm well aware of what Jot5 has lol, those were human sprites, not monster sprites converted.

The easiest solution for you would be Xif's suggestions here:

[13:26] <@Xifanie> byblos needs to be shrunk by 2 pixels wide :v
[13:27] <@Xifanie> you can just curve the tail up and it's done :v

You're gonna be better off attempting it yourself though, since this thread is 99% NOPE
and 1% Heh, Maybe.

Timbo

2 pixels? Is that all? I came up with the idea last night and I've been thinking about it at work. I haven't even looked at the sprite yet.  If I would have known it was only a 2 pixel difference, I would have never made the request. Thanks Xifanie and Elric.

Diethe

February 07, 2014, 05:14:05 am #1339 Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:23:14 am by Diethe
I don't see that thread called 'What have you been working on?' so eh, dunno where to put this without making a new topic. Anyway, in my spare time I came across this linked in the site:

These are cool, but they're oversized and are a pixel nightmare. I guess you can add it to your database if you guys ever need sprites or sprite parts. I can't see the originals anywhere, so I've started trying to recover it pixel by pixel. I've started with Firion at least.

• Discord username: Diethe