• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 08:31:33 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Jon"I wonder how this would look in game
Try pasting walking poses and look. I like doing this with many kinds of sprites, not only FFT :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

I have a feeling that those will look pretty huge on the map. I dunno though. Interesting work so far, Jon.

Zozma

Quote from: "Kagebunji"
Quote from: "Jon"I wonder how this would look in game
Try pasting walking poses and look. I like doing this with many kinds of sprites, not only FFT :P

walking sprites... now, for example: in ff7, i could've sworn that the damn thing had only like 2 animated frames per angle when its legs moved.
but here, youll need 3 frames (technically) since the other 2 of five 2alking frames will be jus a reverse of the first two right?
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Yeah, I just tested it over the pig. It is a bit large, but not overtly; I can shrink him down easily enough. It needs to be exactly like you said Zozma, first the 2nd animation, then the 1st, then the 2nd again, ect. Then he moves with only 2 poses, looks exactly like the gif I posted earlier. His one leg is way too big. I forgot about the shadows. Maybe the pig isn't the best base, something larger like Worker 8 perhaps? But no one wants to get rid of him... Only one problem - I have to constantly test it in game. No biggie, just make Rad a pig at Orbonne. That first pose seems just fine, a bit large but you can almost imagine him in the desert somewhere. Screen shots:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

mav

Hahaha, he looks so hilarious in that scene. He's large, but in a comical way. Shrink him down a bit and you'll have a keeper. I won't gripe about the shading right now, cause it's not your prime concern.

Jon

Sure Mav, no problem. I can keep this one as that giant cactuar (forgot its official name) that appears in FF8 and does Kerplonk (funny I remembered his move, probably the wrong name too). Oh snap! If I make the cactuar a little more upright, I could make that giant cactuar replace the Altima angel at the end of the game. That would be so awesome to see in game, haha this idea just gave me an idea to test out...more on the way!

Jon

I remembered his name. Check out a messed up floating Jumbo Cactuar ( I don't know which flag turns the float off...), also on the sprite sheet itself the eyes and mouth are 2 colors, but notice here how you can see the background through them, thats what happens when you mess with the big monster sprites. Why did the shading get messed up too? Well either way take a look:

GeneralStrife

thats uh....uh....interesting..

Asmo X

It looks creepy and weird, which is ok, but you have to remake ALL the sprites in the same style. go!

Kagebunji

Yeah, Asmo is right, but it is not a surprise :P. I will post some screenshots of what I wanted to do...maybe.

Jon

I sorta hit a nasty snag, I don't think Shishi can display the movement of the Uribo pig family, therefore it will be extremely annoying to do the cactuar. This doesn't mean I am quitting, so don't worry, but all y'all aren't going to see him complete for a long time. I was hoping to finish him before my 23rd B-day too, aww well, if anyone wants to see it in game, here is the sprite sheet up until now (for over the pig of course):

Kagebunji

It doesn't work not only on pigs, but on all monster sheets, I once did a topic in help section to ask if there is a way, but no one other than LD gave a shit, and so it remained unanswered. I wanted to contact Melon about it, but he is dead for a very long time by now. Shit...

Lijj

That was my original concern here 2 frames into 5 will look of.. I suggest just making him fluid
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

I really am starting to hate working on the Cactuar. I love the little creatures, don't get me wrong, but this constant testing is making me crazy. I think I should just do the poses and test them as a gif file in Photoshop, and someone else can figure out how the poses are on the sheet itself. Hell, this should be a community effort anyways, the Cactuar is legendary. I can't think of a monster that is cooler than the Cactuar to begin with (not bosses - they don't count). I'm sorry that I am so lazy, and haven't done too much yet, but from now on I am only going to paste the frames and the gifs, otherwise I am going to go nuts.
@Lijj: You are absolutely right, the frames look kinda funny with only 2 poses (even though thats how the Cactuar is). I could do more poses if y'all want, no problem.

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Jon"but this constant testing is making me crazy.
Oh stop blabbering, I am doing this too all the time, you aren't the only one working on moster sheets, you know? :P

Quote from: "Jon"and someone else can figure out how the poses are on the sheet itself.
I advise using a monster sheet that you are familiar with, Believe it or don't, Pig and for example Bull Demon sheets are all the same.

Don't quit, it is painfull yeah, but the efforts will pay off.

Lijj

Yeah Cactaur's really cool! So just take a break and finish it later or something... Looks like fun but the testing etc. sounds rough. I'd just use a human base to get some animations so they can be tested in Shishi's then repaste them back to the pig or whatever later.
Does anyone else support the Idea of a 5 frame version for Tactics?

Jon

I am gonna take a small break with Cactuar, don't worry everyone, a monster this epic won't stay quiet long. Actually, making the Cactuar on a human sheet sounds brilliant, didn't think of that. 5 frames would be better looking, but would destroy the complex image of the deep Cactuar. His to so called "simple" movement states are what make up the essence of the creature, so yes and no, yes to better fluid motions, no to the destruction of everyones little side kick to be. Right now I am working a bit on a Castlevania patch, I got the title screen working and the "Azalam" text to change, but as for sprites, I have no idea who should play the role of the main Belmont vampire slayer. Should it be a guy or girl (considering there never was a girl Belmont yet I think) and how should it look? Any ideas will help me, because right now all I want is to get maybe 1 whole event finished. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it :mrgreen:

Edit: I think I might go off the 1 man solo army idea and have 3-4 characters in Castlevania, and one of them definitely has to be Lijj's female samurai, but maybe with a head swap, dunno about the others yet.

Lijj

That's sounds neeat an FFT Castlevania chapter. Eternal was saying how cool a Simon Belmont Sprite would be not long ago in chat. There is a very well done Alucard by Kyosoukee in the custom sprite section. And You can use my girl Samurai as a base for sure.

Jon

I will use Dracula spelled backwards for sure. And I changed my mind, this has to be a 1 man solo game, meaning if the main character is female, then it'll be the samurai. Was thinking of swapping the head totally for the female archer and making a custom portrait. Dunno yet, but I'll keep updating whatever I create. Also, my Dark Knight would make a decent vampire boss or something, and I once changed Agrias's blues to Balk's blacks and it looked good. Thats 2 more vamps besides Dracula.

Edit 2 before 1 (I know its weird): Can someone teach me how to change weapons? I don't mind then if the weapon is gone for good. I need to make a whip...getting rid of something useless like Carpets or Bags makes sense. Please, someone teach me! I wanna learn, I do, I do!! :mrgreen:

Edit: Here are 3 hero type ideas. I used HK Ramza because Delita is hardly used in FFT battle and I thought it would be cool to actually make use of his sprite more or less, Celia with teal colors and an archer portrait, and Kletian recolored by me to look cooler imo, and he also is only used twice in Vanilla. I have a Kletian wearing the Dark Knight helmet as well, same color as the armor. And I decided actually to leave Lijj's female Samurai alone, it looks just fine. Lemme know whatcha think, sorry for being cheap with the sprites, they are bmps btw, seem to look okay enough for on here:

Mando

September 24, 2010, 02:30:28 am #579 Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:13:04 am by Mando
Added:

I finished the issues with the FF7 Cid sprite.

Credit goes to JP that originally made the portrait and the incomplete sprite.

I merged there separate sprite pallets into 1

Jon got it working in shishi for me and placed the portrait properly.

I recolored the pixels to work well got rid of misplaced straps hair that was in the wrong spot.

Here it is now usable works fine too

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!