• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:32:05 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

OPEN.LZW DTE error even though I didn't touch it?

Started by Valens, August 24, 2020, 03:06:19 am

Valens

So I was fiddling with the arithmetician job in WOTL, and decided to change it into a general magic class.

But when I use the text editor to change the job name/ skillset name etc and go to patch my ISO, I get an error message that says "DTE for OPEN.LZW has failed. ISO has not been modified"

Even though I haven't touched the text in this location. It doesn't seem to matter how little I change so it didn't appear to be a size issue and after reading the document about DTE's and how the bytes work, I'm feeling like I'm missing something because it shouldn't be a byte issue either?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Valens

Nyzer

Did you not use the Quick Edit tab?

And Tactext is known to be finicky. Sometimes you need to save the tactext patch, close Tactext, and reopen the patch.

Or if you're editing the PSX version, look for the Text Helper spreadsheet instead; it generates Tactext patches that are far more viable.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valens

August 24, 2020, 01:06:20 pm #2 Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:52:16 pm by Valens
Quote from: Nyzer on August 24, 2020, 11:51:40 amDid you not use the Quick Edit tab?

And Tactext is known to be finicky. Sometimes you need to save the tactext patch, close Tactext, and reopen the patch.

Or if you're editing the PSX version, look for the Text Helper spreadsheet instead; it generates Tactext patches that are far more viable.

I didn't the first attempt but I tried the quick edit just now with the same result. Also just tried saving and reopening and getting the same result. I'm editing the PSP WOTL version

I was reading through solutions here and can't seem to find any other form of solution besides deleting the kanji in that location, and I'm a bit hesitant to do that.

edit: ah okay, the problem might be that I was trying to reload a previously text edited ISO patch (changed Ramza's ch.4 Job name previously) so I'm gonna try a fresh patch and to save over the ISO I used

edit 2: Well, starting from a clean ISO and patching over my other ISO seemed to work. Unsure of what the job requirements in quick edits actually changes though, may have to redo and change the job description there as well?

Nyzer

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Talcall

Another problem (that I solved with tedious Copy paste) is that you may be trying to modify an already patched ISO. TacText is known to have several issues when loading an already patched ISO, though the wiki goes into little detail about it.
If you want to keep all the text changes, your best bet is to open a notepad, and copy everything into there, to copy it back with a new and fresh, unedited instance of FFT.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

RavenCurow

I find that with tactext if you open the patch directly from the iso it is best to save your edits as a fftpatch file and reload it from there to patch your iso. For some reason it doesn't like to work if you do it directly from the iso itself. Almost every time I do this it works as long as you have the space.
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?

Valens

Yup, exactly the issue I was having. Lesson learned, from now on TacText is a one and done kinda thing lol thanks guys