• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:41:55 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

War of the Lions Tweak v2.52

Started by Tzepish, November 29, 2022, 02:53:23 am

Tzepish

Quote from: Pop on November 18, 2023, 07:48:38 pmI've just started playing but i had a small thought about knight swords:

As is, the Durandal is kinda just a better version of Save the Queen and Ragnarok
I think it might be neat to mess around with a new attribute eg
Durandal - Regen (general tankiness, give it to Agrias  ;) )
Valhalla - Initial Reraise (So you can die in battle)

Just so it has it's own personality; maybe make it a weapon for hybrids via MA boost or Faith status

These are good ideas. I've been doing this sort of thing on other equipment - giving them each a "reason" to exist. I might do something like this here.

Quote from: MiniEquine on November 23, 2023, 12:53:29 pmSince it sounds like you're working on the new version, do you know when that would come out?

Probably a matter of months. My todo list has gotten pretty low, but I'm still in the middle of the Aim/Charge revamp ASM (turning Aim+2 into "Blackout +2", etc.), and getting it to work with magic guns is very tricky. I'll also want to do a few playthroughs just in case I borked anything!
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: Tzepish

Think0028

Hi! Love the mod a ton, but one thing I just ran into that is slightly hosing me - Agrias's sword got broken during her recruitment mission, and I saved before realizing there was no way for me to get a sword. The Poacher's Den still requires someone to have learned Poach, which... no one in my team has. I can manage to make it work still by ferrying between Goug and Warjilis until I have enough JP from errands, but it's a little annoying - any way you can remove the learning Poach requirement? Thanks!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Furby

Hey, just found this hack, and am AMAZED that we're at the point where we have actual ASM hacking on the PSP version!

Question related to that more so than the mod in question: Would it be possible to modify the Rendezvous mechanic to allow for single player? I dove into your patch notes and like how you handled giving the Multiplayer items to the player, but I would still love to actually fight those battles!

LostPotential

After several days of wrestling with this and finally getting it running just to find the controls not working, I'd like to say you've all inspired me to create a new account just to share my frustration at such an great premise, so much hard work and time with what I'm sure is a great product, it all goes to waste when it's unplayable.

I'm sick with frustration at this point. Maybe I'm just too dumb to enjoy this. Doesn't matter either way I guess. Anyway good luck with your project and everything. I'm not longer holding my breath, or working bandaid fixes like pulling teeth, or getting my hopes up from off the floor again.

Tzepish

Quote from: Think0028 on November 23, 2023, 09:30:24 pmThe Poacher's Den still requires someone to have learned Poach, which... no one in my team has. I can manage to make it work still by ferrying between Goug and Warjilis until I have enough JP from errands, but it's a little annoying - any way you can remove the learning Poach requirement? Thanks!

Already done in the next version, but sorry it won't help you in your current situation!

Quote from: Furby on November 26, 2023, 11:46:31 amWould it be possible to modify the Rendezvous mechanic to allow for single player? I dove into your patch notes and like how you handled giving the Multiplayer items to the player, but I would still love to actually fight those battles!

Absolutely this is the number 1 thing I want for a future edition, but I'm not at all familiar with the code involved, so it may be awhile.

Quote from: LostPotential on November 27, 2023, 04:18:51 pmI'm sick with frustration at this point. Maybe I'm just too dumb to enjoy this. Doesn't matter either way I guess. Anyway good luck with your project and everything. I'm not longer holding my breath, or working bandaid fixes like pulling teeth, or getting my hopes up from off the floor again.

PM me here or on discord and I can help you get setup!

Nyzer

November 29, 2023, 12:40:02 pm #105 Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 02:46:13 am by Nyzer
It might be best to take a look at some of the ideas used in The Lion War. If you can port over the code that enables the unused Facts section of the menu, as well as the code that allows it to trigger certain events on a button press, you might be able to make it jump to the Rendezvous battles. Or even better, a duplicate set of them using the same script that allows you to pick custom squads for it. You should still be able to use the same encounter tables, too.

That doesn't solve the problem of awarding the gear offhand, but I'm sure there are other ways to make that happen, even if they're more crude. And who knows, maybe running the Rendezvous events would automatically jump to the treasure wheel.

MiniEquine

Hi there! My son is now old enough to start getting into Tactics (6, for anybody with kids it's never too early for FFT!). I had a few thoughts and comments since it's been a good while of playing through the mod:

1. My son really appreciates the height changes to the Monk Revive. Saved many battles so far lol.

2. You mention in the readmes the you need to use Valhalla to further modify the mod but I found out that wasn't actually necessary. Depending on what you change in FFT Patcher, you can generate a patch and apply it by only selecting the things you changed. I did find if you just apply the patch to every checkbox category the text bugs out a bit.

3. With the optional mod that make the MP Regen act more like Tactics A2, I gave it an honest try but I think it needs additional help. I could (and might) just make the non-ASM changes on my own through FFT Patcher but if you were ever planning on revisiting the optional patches, I'd like to hear your thoughts on these points:

• In A2, there is a base 10MP generated every turn for each unit at the beginning of their turn. For the quantity of MP, I think the 1/8 of total makes sense but it is a fairly punishing amount early on, especially without many supplemental MP gaining abilities (e.g., Chakra, Seraph Song, etc.). Have you considered buffing either job or equipment MP values to account for this, preferably the low end? High level mages still go relatively unpunished as they could pop off every other turn and throughout the whole battle. This could be adjusted in FFT Patcher so I will give it a try myself, too.
  • Additionally, you don't gain the MP until the end of your turn, so it adds at least one extra turn of waiting before you can even start casting a spell, whereas in A2 you could at least keep casting Cure/Fire/etc. every turn, albeit at the cost of saving for more powerful stuff. Is there a way to make the MP gain happen at the start of the turn? I figure this would definitely be an ASM hack.
  • Enemies are very adversely affected by this optional patch, as they rarely ever utilize spells/abilities that regen MP for themselves, never mind for their allies (occasionally an enemy will have Seraph Song and use that but still, I only saw that in one battle with no mages...). Most times, all enemy casters simply die before the do anything impactful, so boosted MP values across the board (easier adjustment) might make battles less one-sided or secondary ability adjustments might give them options to help themselves.
  • Lastly, I've noticed, especially in conjunction with the above, that the player mages are simply advantaged over the enemy mages but still fall far behind melee characters. With MP regen, the relatively weak magic as it is, and the charge times, I still find it's less hassle to ignore mages and just build powerful melee. If the spells were instant cast also like in A2, that would go a long way in rebalancing the MP regen. As it stands though, it is unfortunately underwhelming. This, too, could be adjusted in FFT Patcher, so I might also try it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: MiniEquine

Danath

any idea on when 2.53 is being released? also I am having a blast playing 2.52 keep up the great work :D 
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Pop

Quote from: MiniEquine on December 20, 2023, 02:56:19 pmAdditionally, you don't gain the MP until the end of your turn, so it adds at least one extra turn of waiting before you can even start casting a spell
...and if you make a beeline for dancer the entire system falls apart; there's nothing the enemy can do against witch hunt xD

Paupau92

January 22, 2024, 11:22:10 pm #110 Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:08:04 am by Paupau92
Hello. Im pumped to find so many mods to this game that I have loved since childhood. Thank you very much for dedicating your time in making QoL mods to this classic game we all love!

If I may ask just one question, can you play rendezvous missions solo in this mod? And if not is it possible to play it with this mod by running 2 instances on 1 pc? Is the mod compatible with the lioeditor (I think that was it was called) to make multiplayer items able to be bought in the store (as well as tynar rouge)? Also, can I get more than 1 copy of the items so I dont have to use the lioneditor? And lastly, can I also min/max stats in this mod? Thank you very much and apologies if I have so many questions. I really love this game and thank you again for your effort in making this game that I love even better!

ReasonablySober

Just wanted to sign up and say thanks for all the work. I had no idea a modding community for this game existed. It's been my favorite game for 25 years and this is breathing some new life into playing it. Kudos to all.

Kaneki02

I tried loading this onto my steam deck and it crashed everytime I hit start to get past the intro cutscene. Any tips or help?

zefyx

I can't make it past the intro movie after inputting my birth date on Windows PC, I'm receiving blue screen Invalid Memory Access error. Any idea? I've already elected to ignore memory errors in PPSSPP.

Tzepish

Sorry, I've been away from this thread and the questions kept piling up!

Quote from: zefyx on February 12, 2024, 12:38:34 amI can't make it past the intro movie after inputting my birth date on Windows PC, I'm receiving blue screen Invalid Memory Access error. Any idea? I've already elected to ignore memory errors in PPSSPP.

There seems to be an alternate ISO floating around out there. Make sure your base ISO is the US version, and run it through a tool like hashcalc to make sure the hashes match the following:

MD5:    18d1169cefed2d5ed77a599694f2f871
SHA1:   5120ff66f78cfd31f6e90d8ef4be8200eca563f7
CRC32:  0d6a3d9f

Quote from: Paupau92 on January 22, 2024, 11:22:10 pmIf I may ask just one question, can you play rendezvous missions solo in this mod? And if not is it possible to play it with this mod by running 2 instances on 1 pc? Is the mod compatible with the lioeditor (I think that was it was called) to make multiplayer items able to be bought in the store (as well as tynar rouge)? Also, can I get more than 1 copy of the items so I dont have to use the lioneditor? And lastly, can I also min/max stats in this mod?

You can play multiplayer missions in this mod, yes (in multiplayer). Make sure both players are running the same version of the mod so you don't get out of sync. I think you can use two instances of PPSSPP, but I don't know how.

LionEditor (the save data editor) is compatible, and you can use it to put multiplayer items in your inventory or in the poachers' den (including multiple copies). Multiplayer items otherwise cannot be purchased in regular stores (which is why WOTL Tweak makes them all unique "discoverable" items in the campaign).

Stats can be min/maxed using levelup/leveldown tricks, yes. Using Onion Knight for leveldown will reduce the amount of stats lost, for further min/maxing. The next version (v2.60) though will make it so leveldown penalties are halved, so you can min/max quickly with any job.

Quote from: MiniEquine on December 20, 2023, 02:56:19 pmWith the optional mod that make the MP Regen act more like Tactics A2, I gave it an honest try but I think it needs additional help.

It totally does. The next version of the mod will have spellcasters start with 25% MP instead of zero to help with this. Also, even though the mod has gone through several rounds of buffing spellcasting, I agree it's _still_ too weak compared to physical attacks and have been considering even more buffs.

Paupau92

Thank you very much for your response! Min maxing is certainly easier now. Thank you for that :)

Khatmar

Hello, I just made a profile to comment on this thread, I recently finished my first ever playthrough of FFT and I did it with this mod. I just wanted to say that it was extremely fun! I loved it very much and I am looking forward to other playthroughs :)

Naledge

Another post to say thank you for all the work you've put in to make this awesome mod. Xcom Long War 2, Tactics Ogre One Vision, Fire Emblem Immortal Sword, modded Skyrim. This is right up there with some of the best game mods I've played. Really looking forward to whatever you're next update is going to look like. Also, credit to you for writing one of the most thorough notepad writeups I've ever seen.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

celestialheathen

Just completed the game using your mod. Want to say thank you for your hard work. It was a great way to enjoy a classical game.

I especially liked the lower job requirements and lower JP costs of skills, so more jobs are easily accessible and less grinding needed; Faster CT for magics and skills; More balanced special characters to the point that Ralpha and Cloud are more enjoyable to use; Broken and stolen equipments can be brought back; Move find-item always on and jobs have innate ability to make them more unique.   

Some suggestions I have: I finished the game around lvl 65, and by the end it still felt too easy. Maybe an optional hard mode patch in the future where story enemies match your lvl and more frequent appearance of advanced-job enemies (like samurai, calculator) during story mode; Some skills like Beowulf's Vengeance or Byblos's Manaflare seem overpowerful, even though they are situational; Some jobs like Geomancer and Orator still feel not worth the time even with better equipment choices.

Tzepish

Quote from: celestialheathen on March 27, 2024, 08:50:47 pmSome suggestions I have: I finished the game around lvl 65, and by the end it still felt too easy. Maybe an optional hard mode patch in the future where story enemies match your lvl and more frequent appearance of advanced-job enemies (like samurai, calculator) during story mode; Some skills like Beowulf's Vengeance or Byblos's Manaflare seem overpowerful, even though they are situational; Some jobs like Geomancer and Orator still feel not worth the time even with better equipment choices.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm adding all these to my notes for consideration!

I'd love to do a Hard mode, just gotta think of the best way to do it without adding tons of work for myself. For example, I don't want to have maintain two separate patches - one for normal mode and one for hard mode (I used to do that for encounter unscaling, and it sucked having to make every change twice. Eventually I figured out a way to do it in ASM so that I'd only have to maintain one patch. Maybe there's a similar solution for Hard mode).

Some ideas I had:

* Add an extra unit or two to each battle, but somehow flag them to only show up on Hard mode (repurpose some unused flag to represent "hard mode only" unit)
* Increase all enemy unit levels by some value, like 2, in ASM (and adjust the XP formula accordingly so you don't just levelup faster)
* Reduce the number of units the player is allowed to take into each battle by 1.
* Some combination of all of the above.