• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Executing ability- change animation? - solved

Started by DERIDEX120, October 13, 2021, 09:50:06 pm

DERIDEX120

October 13, 2021, 09:50:06 pm Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:36:42 pm by DERIDEX120 Reason: Original too wordy
I have made a ranged attack ability. No matter what parameter I change the ability seems to always be executed with a punching motion. Is it even possible to change it to the charging sprite? Am I overlooking a parameter somewhere? (Ive set parameters in the animation tab and the action group tab to mimic "charge" to no success.)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

nitwit

Is the weapon strike flag checked? Have you compared it to other skills with the desired animation? What skill was originally in that slot, in case there is hardcoding?

DERIDEX120

Slot 0165- the first blank slot just after "parasite." Weapon strike is un-checked. looking at it, physical and magic attack boxes are also unchecked. I compared to the archer's charge abilities as thats the only set I can recall that uses the squatting sprite, but they seem to be coded differently. I'm beginning to think I'll have to settle for the punching effect or the raised arms sprite used by spells.

nitwit

Well if you use charge with no weapon it defaults to punching, given that charge iirc has weapon strike checked it stands to reason that there's something in the animations tab doing that.

Try different values in the animation tab, the different magic ones especially.

3lric

Quote from: DERIDEX120 on October 14, 2021, 06:18:58 pmSlot 0165- the first blank slot just after "parasite." Weapon strike is un-checked. looking at it, physical and magic attack boxes are also unchecked. I compared to the archer's charge abilities as thats the only set I can recall that uses the squatting sprite, but they seem to be coded differently. I'm beginning to think I'll have to settle for the punching effect or the raised arms sprite used by spells.

Try to mimic something aside from Charge and see if that helps. Charge in general is pretty wonky and hardcoded iirc

If it works on a different animation, or if it doesn't at least something can be ruled out either way
  • Modding version: PSX

DERIDEX120

Quote from: nitwit on October 14, 2021, 07:46:20 pmWell if you use charge with no weapon it defaults to punching, given that charge iirc has weapon strike checked it stands to reason that there's something in the animations tab doing that.

This was successful. I did some more digging in the forums and found a byte values list raven had written for someone years ago, also explaining which hex column meant what which was very enlightening. There were several duplicates for the crouching effect, so one of them was bound to work.

Byte 08 worked for me if its helpful to anyone reading in the future.
Thanks, everyone!

nitwit

Quote from: DERIDEX120 on October 14, 2021, 11:35:30 pmThis was successful. I did some more digging in the forums and found a byte values list raven had written for someone years ago, also explaining which hex column meant what which was very enlightening. There were several duplicates for the crouching effect, so one of them was bound to work.

Byte 08 worked for me if its helpful to anyone reading in the future.
Thanks, everyone!
Could you post a link to that list?

nitwit