• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 12:48:07 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Completely muting music? I would like to rip sound effects

Started by IceManual, July 19, 2010, 05:39:57 am

IceManual

Hello users and goers of Final Fantasy Hacktics,
as the title suggests, I was wondering if there was a way to possibly mute battle music so I can rip magic and item sound effects.

And ofcourse if there was a way to do it I'd be willing to share the end result.

LastingDawn

"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Bowser Koopa

Sorry to dig up an old post here (well, it's semi-old anyway!). I REALLY appreciate all the sound effects that have already been ripped on the page you've linked, LastingDawn. I went through all of them and the sound effect that I've been searching for for years isn't included on that list. The main sound effect I'm looking for is Alma's MBarrier sound effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw5Z89IJtK8

Fast forward to about 1:21 in the video.

I'd love to have that effect as my phone's notification sound.

I already have FF Tactics ripped as a bin and cue file on my computer, but I'm not sure how to extract sound effect files. I'll have to research that more. But, if no further sound effects can be extracted from the game than what's been provided in LastingDawn's link, I guess there's no point in finding a way to access the sounds in the bin file.

If anyone could help me find that, I'd really appreciate it!

LastingDawn

Heh, nice name. Though I do find that strange... there is a code in "Little ASM Hacking Reference" which lets you mute the sound in the game (used in the more recent tourneys) You could get it through that, I could imagine.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Bowser Koopa

Thanks on the comment about my name. I custom made my current icon, but I wonder if I should draw and paint a custom Bowser FFT style avatar (the current avatar is a FFT-styled drawing based on a character I used to draw years ago). That could be kind of fun.

Anyway, I did find the page linked below after doing a search for Little ASM Hacking Reference. But, my god, man, this is all greek to me! I'm an artist, not a programmer! Hahah. I was hoping for something a little more noob-friendly. Like a program that allowed you to examine the disc and sift through all the audio files (music and sfx). It seems like such a program doesn't exist...not for sfx anyway. I know there are XA readers out there, I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=953

Anyway, I'll see if I can dig anything else up on this. Even if I were to disable music via an emulator with custom script/code running, I'd still have to play through the entire game all over again just to get to a situation which Alma's in. While I love FFT, I just don't have enough time to play through it all over again right now, sadly.

If anyone else finds out any info for me, please let me know! If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Bowser Koopa

Well, I was able to find this thread:

http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/behin ... games.html

I was able to gain access to a ton of TIM (image) files, STR (video) files, and only ONE (!) XA (audio) file throughout the entire FFTactics disc, which I think was the end credits theme. Talk about a bummer...

Sigh, I don't think there's an easy way to get sounds from the game.

-EDIT-

It looks like the only files that can be access by programs like PSmplay and PSX Multi Converter are located in the CD-ROM Drive\OPEN directory. What a tease, there's a \SOUND and \EFFECT directory on the Disc, but as far as I can tell, they're both inaccessible to these types of players. I guess my last ditch effort would be to contact Zodiac and see if he has any suggestions on what to do next (maybe a noob walkthrough if he has time, but I won't hold my breath).

Bowser Koopa

All right, with some HUGE help from Zodiac, I was finally able to get some results! First, the results:

http://bmoussavi.com/fftsounds/Final%20 ... arrier.mp3

Success! Finally got that bloody sound after years and years of searching. Pretty anti-climactic, but at least I finally have it.

I plan on writing a noob-friendly guide on how to rip sounds to help others. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think other tutorials -may- have been created that yielded similar results to what I wanted. Yet, I feel they still weren't noob-friendly enough to help me get what I wanted in the end. I'll probably post up a new thread for the tutorial. Thanks  Lasting Dawn and Zodiac for your help! MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Bowser Koopa

Okay, I've written up this tutorial that should hopefully help those in need down the road:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5703

I hope it's not too confusing!

Jon

You could always make a recording of sound effects (music and all) and then edit with Nero Wave Editor (thats what I do, works perfectly all the time). Heres what you do: you either record everything thats happening (including music) and stop the record once you heard the sound effect you want. Try to save the file as a .wav, .mp3, or .wma. Open it with the Wave Editor and then 'zoom up' on the sound you want. Copy and paste it to a new file and then with some practice and common sense, cut the music out. The Editor has built in tools for stuff like that. Hard part is to get your own custom sound files to play in FFT, but thats besides the point. The other way is to go onto YouTube and find a video that contains the sound you want. Copy the whole http.www.youtube/whatever.com and go to kissyoutube.com and download the video, then do the above steps with Nero Wave Editor. Hope this helps ya!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!