• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:49:12 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Changing Infernal Strike's Animation Will Softlock the Final Battle

Started by BleuVII, December 05, 2019, 09:50:53 am

BleuVII

Hi guys, I just wanted to make a note of something here that took me about a month to troubleshoot and figure out.

Ability slot "00B8 - Infernal Strike" pulls double duty in the game. The ability data (ie - range, MP, formula) applies to Infernal Strike, but Infernal Strike's animation will always copy whatever you have in slot "00A4 - Duskblade". So if you change the animation for Duskblade, that will copy over to Infernal Strike. The animation slot for 00B8 is listed as "0C0 - Summon Angel", and it is the animation that Ultima uses for her movement. If you change this animation, the final battle will softlock when Ultima tries to move. From what I can tell, it's waiting to display the HP/MP damage, but since that value is null, it can't complete the animation.

The animation copying happens also with "002D - Sanguine Sword". That ability will use whatever you set as the animation for "00A5 - Shadowblade". The animation for 002D is "11F". I have not noticed any adverse effects from changing this, but to be safe you should probably leave it alone.
  • Modding version: WotL

Nyzer

Yeah, that's a known issue in the PSX version too. In TLW, that was fixed by moving those special animations to the Math Skill slots instead. I guess Square came up with a different sort of fix for WotL.

I'm pretty sure there are other skills that do have duplicate animations in the base game, such as the Monk and Goblin both having a Spin Fist sorta deal, or the way Reis has her own copies of the various Breath attacks IIRC - you could potentially move those around to take advantage of this hardcoded duplicate animation setup, if you wanted to add some extra animations.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown