• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:21:07 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

All Gria and Seeq abilities now 0 AP Soldier abilities?

Started by Shrikesnest, June 26, 2019, 08:48:07 pm

Shrikesnest

I am 99% done with a mod I've been plugging away at for about two months now.  I was doing a final playtest run before starting a writeup so I could upload it to the forums when I ran into an absolute disaster of a bug.  For some reason my Seeq and Gria can't learn anything; their abilities all show up as Soldier abilities and cost 0 AP.  I ran into this bug earlier when I tried messing around with which weapons teach which abilities, so I reverted to a previous version and haven't touched that sort of thing since.  I'm also 100% positive I didn't have the bug in my latest revision before this one.  What could have caused this?  Is it fixable?  I'd be crushed if I came this far just to blow up at the finish line...
  • Modding version: PSX
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!

Kuro

Soldier means their abilities aren't assigned to the proper job in equipment and AP 0 that you didn't assign race and free value in AP index to store progress. Probably the Soldier bug means you have been using Nightmare without the complete list of jobs. If you confirm this I can help you to solve it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Shrikesnest

June 27, 2019, 06:49:06 am #2 Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:23:17 am by Shrikesnest
Thank you for the reply, and oh my God, you're right!  I just checked the job list in my equipment nightmare module and it's lacking all the Seeq, Gria and special jobs!  I can't believe I didn't catch that before... the thread I downloaded it from said that the list in the OP had been updated, so I assumed it had.  Ah well, these things happen.  Where can I get an updated jobs.txt?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out myself!  Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.  I've attached the updated jobs.txt for anybody else who's stuck.

Kuro

From me, because I had that issue as well and I've been fixing the nightmare module so I can speed up changes with the editor. I recommend you to replace abilities as well since they don't cover some of unique jobs and stuff.

Feel welcome to ask whatever else you might need.

Shrikesnest

Oh, thanks!  I actually figured it out myself this morning, hahaha.  I'll gladly grab the updated abilities.txt too, though.

Shrikesnest

June 27, 2019, 06:34:05 pm #5 Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:09:59 pm by Shrikesnest
Actually, since you offered to help out, there's a few more things I've been unable to do.  A push in the right direction or conformation that they can't be done at the moment would be a big help.

1. Some single-target abilities such as Expose Weakness and Chakra soft-lock the game if turned into AoE abilities.   Is there a fix for that?
2. I'm interested in making Hurdy and Penelo's abilities affect all allies or enemies, like the OG Bard/Dancer or Illusionist.  Can this be done?
3. Is there a way to make specific spells ignore evasion or resistance?
4. Can anything at all profitable be done with the Tinker or Chocobo Knight?  Could I replace the Tinker skillset with AOE buffs that use something like the Steal formula, so they're free but get less effective with each successive use?  Could I teach the Chocobo Knight abilities from the Chocobo enemy skillset by putting it on gear?  Could something similar be done to give Blue Mages a couple rudimentary abilities on Sabers?  Anything like that?
5. Will I screw anything up if I mess with the AP costs of abilities?

I'll figure some of this out with experimentation over time, but my dev time is really limited and your experience on these matters would be invaluable.

Kuro

Glad to help.

1. I don't see an issue with the animations so if they soft-lock the game must be because you need to change something else. I'm using Chakra as an AoE ability with the radius of black magic. Make sure you have the flag of can Target Empty Tile checked, also that Target type is Normal.

2. I didn't touch Unique Jobs yet but it should be possible with the same animation. Just set All Units with Used with certain targets and in Valid target you can use either Ally, All or Foe.

3. Evasion yes, just make them perfect accuracy. Regarding Resistance, yeah, make them physical based xD Otherwise no, there is no known flag for it.

4. Mhm, I did too, my Tinker has a silence trap, AoE buffs to all allies, area or single target with the same animations.

5. Nope, you can do anything with them.

Check my mod if you need references. The editor is good but the list is quite obsolete it would help us a lot if we could update it because there are some properties or effects listed the wrong way. Like 0.2x current HP being 0.2x max user's HP. Just this is extremely confusing and sometimes you'll trip with bugs in your abilities, so test them all when you got time for it.