• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 01:19:50 pm

Holy Knight Ramza gone

Started by TSnead2010, September 27, 2010, 05:46:56 pm

TSnead2010

hey, is it a long process to changing a spritesheets colors? cause i want to chane the color of one of the sprites i got off the custom sprites section

Zozma

its really easy if you know what to do
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

TSnead2010

what program can i use that would be easy?

TSnead2010

September 29, 2010, 11:07:46 pm #23 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:41:32 am by TSnead2010
what i want to do is change the armor and helm in the sheet to a silver color

Zozma

why cant you do it? all you need is graphics gale or gimp, its sooo easy...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

I have a better program than both Graphics Gale, Gimp, Photoshop or anything else, which works much quicker and perfectly. I could do this for ya T.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

TSnead2010

If u can that would appreciate it :)

TSnead2010

can you change the brown to silver in the portrait too?

Jon

Took longer than expected because Zozma was working only with 14 colors and I had to go in and add a 3rd skin tone. Also, I found a few minor mistakes which I corrected. But she doesn't look good in silver (Ramza's)...do whatever you like, take it or reject it...

TSnead2010

What about grey? I think that would look better, if u don't want to do that then ill stick with this one

Jon

I'm feeling lazy, take it or leave it. Or you can look at some of the wonderful tutorials on spriting and learn how to replace colors, which is honestly the easiest, easiest, easiest thing to do to sprites. Next would be head swaps, then arm swaps and then after that you are pretty much making a custom.

@Zozma: Sorry for messing up your excellent sprite, Z. I hate what I did to the sprite itself, but actually I like how the portrait came out.

TSnead2010

TSnead2010

Jon

That one program I mentioned? Well thats a secret, sorry. Even if I told you, it would be hard to figure out how to use because it is used for making online games. But to just change colors there are millions of ways, you can do it with Photoshop relatively easily, all you do is go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color and play around until you have colors you like. If you don't have PS, search google for free Photoshop CS2 download, you will find one quite quickly. Another way is to use Zodiac's palette editor, you can insert already existing palettes from other sprites. If I were you, I would use Photoshop, one of the best art programs out there.

TSnead2010

oh, and how do i fix portrait palettes??? i look at the tutorial and i get to a step and it says hopefully u already cropped a correct color of the portait but idk how to even get the correct palette in the first place

Jon

No, slow down, you got the wrong terms. A palette is the color in a sprite. The FFT sprites have a maximum of 16 colors. Therefore they have a 16 color palette. Cropping means to cut out the portrait or make one. Sometimes when you have a portrait, and its either a jpeg or a bmp off of the internet, the file gets a bit distorted and makes something like 256 color palette or more. I once had a 2100 color palette of in reality 16 colors. So in Graphics Gale, if the portrait's palette is over 16 colors, you need to reduce it to 16. Cropping a portrait is something totally else. You need to select the rectangular tool either in Graphics Gale or in Photoshop, make a box around the portrait exactly, and copy and paste it to its own file, of the same exact size. If this confuses or confused you even more, I can explain this stuff in even more detail if you like, but I hope this helps ;)

TSnead2010

i understood, i cropped the portrait out and made it a bmp file but when i reduce the color to 16 in gale it still looks distorted

Jon

Lol! That looks pretty bad! Thats probably not you fault. Here, I made it for you: