• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:59:59 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Disgaea 4 Discussion - May contain spoilers

Started by RandMuadDib, May 19, 2011, 11:13:06 pm

Tea

How my complaints of Disgaea are all at the same time applyable to all the games listed I fail to see, as explained in my earlier post. Some of them apply to the games, but not all at once, except remakes.
If you think Disgaea games have a different atmosphere, different roles, different worlds to discover, or different adventures to be had, then yes, disregard what I said. I however, think the differences between those games mean far too little to justify a new game, instead of a patch of some sorts.

Pata Hikari

So what, a several hour storymode with dozens of new maps isn't enough to be a sequel?

Kaijyuu

October 28, 2011, 04:25:24 pm #22 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:27:27 pm by Kaijyuu
Depends how you look at it.

Generally, there are two reasons people play video games: Narrative and Gameplay. With a book or movie, a sequel just needs a new narrative. Games, however, are expected to reinvent the gameplay as well. The reason for this is deceptively simple: if you want more of the same, you can easily just load up the old game again. If a new game doesn't change up one or the other, it feels like you're paying for the exact same thing you already bought.

Still, people play games for different reasons.

If all you're there for is the gameplay, a new narrative and different set dressings aren't going to qualify for a "worthy" sequel. In essence, you're doing the same thing, just prettied up. That's more indicative of an expansion pack or DLC than a sequel.

If you're NOT there for the gameplay, or it plays a minor role to you, then yes, a new narrative and different settings will qualify quite well for "worthy" sequel status.

In Disgaea's case, they do change up both in the various games... just not very much. Story is different, but the setting is the same and characters have obvious counterparts in other games made by Nippon Ichi. Gameplay is tweaked, but you're still doing much the same you did before.
  • Modding version: PSX

Pata Hikari

October 28, 2011, 04:29:39 pm #23 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:33:41 pm by Pata Hikari
Quote from: Kaijyuu on October 28, 2011, 04:25:24 pm

If all you're there for is the gameplay, a new narrative and different set dressings aren't going to qualify for a "worthy" sequel. In essence, you're doing the same thing, just prettied up. That's more indicative of an expansion pack or DLC than a sequel.

Except you're not. A new game has new stages, new challenges, etc.

I play for the gameplay and I can tell you for a fact that Disgaea 3 and 4, let alone the earlier games, are quite different.

Quote from: Kaijyuu on October 28, 2011, 04:25:24 pm
In Disgaea's case, they do change up both in the various games... just not very much. Story is different, but the setting is the same and characters have obvious counterparts in other games made by Nippon Ichi. Gameplay is tweaked, but you're still doing much the same you did before.

Settings of the 4 Disgaea games

Disgaea 1: A netherworld in chaos after the Overlord dies, leaving no ruler

Disgaea 2:A human world cursed by an evil overlord.

Disgaea 3: A massive demon school where they teach how to be "evil"

Disgaea 4: A world with a corrupt government that the protagonist desires to overthrow.

Seem like pretty different settings to me.