• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:41 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Trying to get PSX Emulator to work with patched WotL

Started by CloakofShadow, December 04, 2021, 05:19:16 pm

CloakofShadow

Hello,

I'm relatively new to using emulators and getting them to work. I've used multiple different emulators like ePSXe 2.0.5 and PSX v1.13. I've tried going through the tutorials and working through the forums but I've had little to no luck trying to get this to work.

My current setup that I'm trying to work with is ePSXe since I've been able to get the furthest with that emulator. I know the ISO before the patch works because I've been able to get it to work with PPSSPP. No issues there. When I patch the ISO though and run it through ePSXe it goes to a black screen and then crashes. I went through several tutorials and settings but nothing has seemed to work so far. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :cry:  :cry:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

CloakofShadow

I've used PPSSPP. It's what I used before I patched the ISO. When I run it via PPSSPP after patching, it says "Could not load game. Failed to load executable: File Corrupt". I used ppf-o-matic to patch the ISO so unless there's something else I'm doing wrong, I'm not sure why PPSSPP is not allowing it to run.

nitwit

Let's find out if your rom is corrupt.

Use the Command Prompt Tutorial to navigate to wherever you store your roms while you're working on them, then run Get-FileHash to get IIRC a sha256 hash of your rom before and after you patch it, as well as the patch itself.

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12738.msg230115#msg230115

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/get-filehash?view=powershell-7.2

Get-FileHash filename.iso > filename_hash.txt

Also post the file sizes of your rom before and after you patch it, and that of your patch.

It's also possible there are other things you need to do to PSP roms to patch them, so you should repost this on like GBATemp forums or something.

Nyzer

CloakofShadow

Not sure how this will help but here's all the information as requested:

ISO pre patch: 005D9F0BEBB9C02E202485B349E1123FB0F9CE98825596ED750E7651540384E7   It has a file size of 409,056KB
ISO post patch: D00D9FF8986EB3A899DABFA16E4D8C84FE2513CEE98C34D1C4ECF871C268F0A3  It has a file size of 515,277KB
Patch file that I used: 7687511AF5E6C27343846B8D16CF3BD9851233E97D0DE0F83368188899315130  It's got a file size of 15,840KB.

As for what patch I'm using, it's The Lion War v2.021.

nitwit

Okay, now can anyone else who has sucessfully patched The Lion War v2.021 please do the ssame as CloakofShadow?

I don't know why, but some rom rips for disc based games have different hashes. Maybe related to the program used to rip it. You could try to acquire the rom through various means, verify that they have different hashes, and patch those roms. Whatever happens, post the filesizes and hashes of all you try, and whether or not they work.

Also don't post links to rom sites or ask.

My private messages are open if you need more help.

Nyzer

You can't just mix PSX and PSP stuff like this.

The Lion War is a PSX patch, not a PSP one.

So you're trying to patch a PSX patch to a PSP game, and then play the patched ISO on a PSX emulator... so, yeah, that's going to fail horribly.