• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:41:56 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA Introducing the concept of weight WT (Solved)

Started by rrs_kai, September 21, 2014, 10:40:20 pm

rrs_kai

September 21, 2014, 10:40:20 pm Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:16:01 am by rrs_kai
I have two questions

1)I have posted ideas for a new mod in "New Project Ideas" (The guidelines state any idea that you personally intend to pursue be posted there). Should that topic be moved to "FFTA:Hacking" because its the FFTA board? If yes, how do I do that?

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10601.msg200975#new

2)I was balancing skills and equipment and came across the following scenario and am asking suggestions

---Scenario---
Doublesword and ranged holyblade (seventh heaven is buffed) are powerful and feel like no-brainers.

*edit* the questions blelow are no longer appropriate until negative speed on equipment can be properly displayed (it still works) so answer the new question at the end.

To append this I want to introduce the concept of "weight WT" from tactics ogre. This will be done by adding negative speed to equipment stats. I find that by giving a higher WT to katana/bow/greatbow/knightswords/maybe guns slows down the fast and powerful classes like Ninja/Sniper/Assassin/Hunter/Paladin and makes them glass cannons.
Thieves can totally dualwield daggers as they are small and light.

a)I only want to add WT to weapons just to give double sword/ranged holyblade a minor nerf. This also gives monsters nice little speed advantage.
b)I do not want to add WT to other equipment (like armour,hat,shield,accessories) as it just makes for not only tedious balancing but also makes the morpher even more uber (dont equip anything on him as he uses monster stats). It gives the monsters a greater speed advantage but that be done by raising their speed growth anyway.

I have decided to simply make Katanas much weaker but also boost magicpower and speed slightly. This should make ninjas and assassins less powerful and only be used for their speed. Also helps by allowing mages to be turned into ninjas for the debuffs and magic boost.
Likewise knightswords will be boosting DEF and RES with lowered attack.

Question: Will the above rebalance make double sword/holyblade less powerful?
Start your answer with a "Yes/No/Its not worth the effort" and then state your reasoning from the next line. Anything and everything is appreciated.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bcrobert

That topic is technically appropriate for either board since it's an announcement. Having a link to it works just fine for now, since the main idea is to make sure everyone who wants to see your topic sees it. But once you get deeper into development, demo releases, w/e you'll definitely want to have the more focused topic here so people can talk about your hack in depth. I think a mod has to move it for you?

As for WT:

It -could- help the problem, but it creates new problems. Remember how in TO you can totally go through the whole game with just a knife because speed? Speed is amazing. It would also require ASM hacking, and you'd have to come up with a mathematical basis for your WT to stat ratios. Which will inevitably be wrong until enough trial and error evens things out. I released a TO: LUCT rebalance hack a long time ago. It is very, very hard to get the WT system set up just right.

Tl;dr - It's not worth the effort.

EDIT. Naked Canopus. If you're a TO fan, I'll assume you know what that phrase implies.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on September 22, 2014, 01:57:26 am
It -could- help the problem, but it creates new problems. Remember how in TO you can totally go through the whole game with just a knife because speed? Speed is amazing. It is very, very hard to get the WT system set up just right.

Tl;dr - It's not worth the effort.

WT means negative speed (here).
In TO all equipment have WT. I am only adding WT to weapons, specifically more WT to dualwieldable/ranged ones and less to others. This is to reduce the speed gap between agile classes and tank classes. It know its stupid that a katana will have more WT then a spear but that's what I have in mind.

I released a TO: LUCT rebalance hack a long time ago.

Wow...is it a psp hack? If so, are tools available to hack skills and equipment in TO:LUCT.
Is your patch still available to play?

EDIT. Naked Canopus. If you're a TO fan, I'll assume you know what that phrase implies.

Infamous for single handedly breaking the game. Thankfully I wont use it when I start playing.

Darthatron

Actually I think items allow for negative speed values already. The issue is making it display in game, I think.
  • Discord username: Darthatron

rrs_kai

Quote from: Darthatron on September 22, 2014, 04:01:52 am
Actually I think items allow for negative speed values already.

Yes and it works. Tested with a short sword (-12speed). The game does show these values on character screen.

Quote from: Darthatron on September 22, 2014, 04:01:52 am
The issue is making it display in game, I think.

It shows fine when equipped but in the item menu it shows speed of 524.

Also, changing Montblanc's class only happens after the first fight. In the intro battle he is still blackmage no matter what. Possibly because he is an NPC in that fight.
If I added 3F-1xdamage to powerbreak/mindbreak it only does slightly above half of normal damage...wonder why? I will be testing more to find workarounds.

*edit* The main post has changed and reply to the new question.

bcrobert

Montblanc may actually have two versions of himself that are identical. Check with the enemy data for that first fight. There should be another Montblanc, flagged as a guest. His class will need to be changed there too. The two versions would be there to allow one that is playable and one that has a guest flag to control himself for that one fight.

As for the TO:LUCT patch, it was for SNES version. AFAIK it's still available but I've never found any English language tools for TO hacking. I actually did my little rebalance patch via hex editor. :/
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on September 23, 2014, 03:52:34 am
Montblanc may actually have two versions of himself that are identical. Check with the enemy data for that first fight. There should be another Montblanc, flagged as a guest. His class will need to be changed there too. The two versions would be there to allow one that is playable and one that has a guest flag to control himself for that one fight.

Yes, thanks, I did not look there  :oops: