• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:23 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Editing special characters

Started by Mjolln, September 08, 2014, 02:04:58 am

Mjolln

Hi there!

I have a few questions about editing special characters like Marche, Montblanc, Ritz and Shara.

I'd like to make only one job available to them, much like Ezel and Babus. So is there a byte to add by hex editing to make it impossible to access the job wheel for them?

Also, I've read somewhere that there is a special byte that makes Babus and Ezel be considered as Nu Mou regarding laws and other stuff, though their race is "special". Would it be possible to add a byte to Montblanc, for example, in order to give him a viera job and abilities while still being considered as a Moogle?

Thanks!  :D

Darthatron

That's not how it works at all, actually. Which is why Ritz is treated as a Viera instead of a Human. This byte you're talking about for Babus and Ezel actually just makes them normal Nu Mou with a special sprite, but they lose their unique jobs.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Mjolln

Thanks for your answer!

Well, I was sure Ritz was considered as a human. Seems I was wrong.

And about the job wheel, is it a way to do it?

Darthatron

So I've spent the last few days on and off trying to get the job wheel for Ezel and Babus include the Nu Mou jobs and I just can't seem to get it work. :(

Mjolln

September 17, 2014, 07:52:42 am #4 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:06:08 am by Mjolln
Wow, it's a good thing to know. But a little sad about Ezel and Babus editing...

But, in fact, I'm interested to make it the other way around.

I want to make the job wheel unavailable for Montblanc. I've found a way to give him only one job. However, you can still use the job wheel to change his job, even if nothing happens when you choose a new job: Montblanc keeps its unique job.

I hope this makes sense  :|

Darthatron

Which Job did you give him? There's a check at the start of the job wheel code that checks if the unit is Cid, Babus or Ezel and lets them have only one job.

Mjolln

A new Moogle Job called "Redwings" for the moment, but the name will change. In fact, I use the place in the ROM I assume was meant to give Montblanc a special Job, much like Babus and Ezel. There are also the same places for March, Riz and Shara.

However, if the job wheel is tied specifically to Cid, Babus and Ezel, it would be kind of complicated to make it unavailable for other characters  :|

Darthatron

Well we can always change that code. I could look into it for you if you like.

Mjolln

bcrobert

Redwings?

So...does Montblanc suddenly betray you and join the Redwings? I would be interested in any excuse for Montblanc slaughter.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Mjolln

Ahah, Montblanc can be a dark character you know! Full of mysteries and able to betray you!  :D

But, well, in fact it is just because I use a name already in the ROM. The name will change!