• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:51 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Solved] What triggers Ramza’s job change?

Started by Genghis Hank, December 14, 2021, 11:47:19 am

Genghis Hank

December 14, 2021, 11:47:19 am Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 06:55:08 pm by Genghis Hank
I've been working on a story mod on-and-off since mid-2015. One thing I've never been able to nail down is what is it that triggers Ramza's job change between chapters?

I've accounted for all variables in the end of chapter events, and none seem to be triggering this change. The only thing I've identified is that in the first event of Chapter 4 (Orlandu and Olan), there is an invisible Ramza with a unit ID of 3 with 'join after event' ticked. I've tried replicating this in other events but the change doesn't seem to trigger. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RetroTypes

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: RetroTypes

Genghis Hank

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

I actually tried multiple searches using a variety of terms, but was unable to locate the relevant information. Glad you could get your one-liner in though.

Nyzer

It's the third result for "Ramza change job" when I do a search so that's surprising.

Anyway, while that topic seems to have outlined some of how it works, it doesn't seem to have come up with a way to add more changes as it stands.

But with the newer event instructions, you can definitely change a unit's base ID/sprite/job (they're all tied together).

If it's Ramza you're trying to change, I'm not sure how useful that would be - the game over if crystal routine might be tied to his sprites, and the change to his Unit ID would cause issues in events past that point without all being edited.

To change a roster unit's current base Job in events, you'd want to do the following:

WorldUnitAddress(x00,x[Current ID])
SET(x0001,x00[New ID])
SaveAddress(x01,x0000,x00,001)

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jumza

There's also a new instruction, TransformUnit https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/TransformUnit if you want to go the event route that also does that!
EDIT: Transform does have other side-effects though since it de-levels and levels back up.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Genghis Hank

I guess I was being too specific with my search terms. The majority of topics I found were covering how to change Ramza to a Holy Knight (or other special class), rather than how to trigger the transformation from CH1 Ramza to CH2 Ramza.

Thanks both for your help. This helps me achieve exactly what I needed to do. I appreciate it.

Nyzer

Quote from: Jumza on December 15, 2021, 04:46:13 pmThere's also a new instruction, TransformUnit https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/TransformUnit if you want to go the event route that also does that!
EDIT: Transform does have other side-effects though since it de-levels and levels back up.

I can't believe I forgot about TransformUnit >_>
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown