• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT Arena: Item Discussion Thread

Started by PX_Timefordeath, July 13, 2010, 07:29:10 pm

Pride

79 Slots for equipment, I counted roughly 64 here. Not counting the few repeated (such as always: Reflect)
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Zaen

Yeah, there's definitely enough space. Looks nice, I approve. :P
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

FFMaster

I forgot Shields. I don't know if Ribbons should appear either, and should perfumes be equippable for Males?

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

The Damned

July 15, 2010, 10:07:21 pm #23 Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:27:40 pm by The Damned
Ribbons can stay dead IMO. And, yes, perfumes should be able to be equipped by everyone.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Zaen

Make 2 female only, 2 male only! Perfume and Cologne! Or... not. The Berserk one should be for females, though, if this happens.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

FFMaster

Dome

Some idea I threw in another topic

- Rainbow sword: High WP (15-20 maybe?) Has EVERY element in it (so if you absorb only one of them you absorb the sword damage)
- Poison sword: 5 WP, 30% evade, Makes the wielder immune to poison, every time it hits it casts the black magic
"poison" on the target (The black spell has AoE, so it can potentially poison more than 1 enemy at time if they are near)
- Blazing sword (Got the reference?) 8 WP, fire elemental, 0% evade, 1-2 range (IDK if it's possible to give 1-2 range to a sword) absorb fire
- Defender: 3 WP, 50% evade, Always protect and shell (Maybe only protect?)
- Rotten sword: 13 Wp, PA/MA +1, Always: Undead, poison, blind, draining effect of the blood sword on hit
- Cleric sword: 7 WP, 20% evade, heals on hit, always regen on the wielder

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

PX_Timefordeath

Quote- Rainbow sword: High WP (15-20 maybe?) Has EVERY element in it (so if you absorb only one of them you absorb the sword damage)

Hm... it's either going to be too powerful or absolutely worthless...

Quote- Poison sword: 5 WP, 30% evade, Makes the wielder immune to poison, every time it hits it casts the black magic "poison" on the target (The black spell has AoE, so it can potentially poison more than 1 enemy at time if they are near)

Nope, only hits the target, no AoE on proc'd spells. Anyways, the evade makes it way too OP.

Quote- Blazing sword (Got the reference?) 8 WP, fire elemental, 0% evade, 1-2 range (IDK if it's possible to give 1-2 range to a sword) absorb fire

I like 2 ranged weapons not spears, but FFM said it takes away frmo spears

Quote- Defender: 3 WP, 50% evade, Always protect and shell (Maybe only protect?)

The wielder will never die, wayyyyyyyyyy too OP.

Quote- Rotten sword: 13 Wp, PA/MA +1, Always: Undead, poison, blind, draining effect of the blood sword on hit

I'm not sure about this one, but I wouldn't use it for sure.

Quote- Cleric sword: 7 WP, 20% evade, heals on hit, always regen on the wielder

More healing items! But the EV and the Always: Regen on it makes it too powerful.

philsov

wizard outfit is supposed to give +2 MA?  seems to render wizard robe useless

edit:  Can any items that blocks:Dead please also block:death sentence?  It's an annoying move when the AI DS's someone, then ignores them, and then the unit doesn't even keel over.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

FFMaster

yes, good points. I'll buff Wizard Robe after the tournament. Also, anything that blocks Dead also blocks Death Sentence, effective immediately.

Melancthon

So I know you guys have been discussing how to keep the weapons balanced and varied enough that any given weapon has a chance of seeing action, and I had something of an idea.  The consensus seems to be that some weapons will always be outclassed.  What if you gave each weapon and armor a GP cost?  Each player would have a starting GP pool which they would spend to buy their weapons and armor (either a large pool for the entire party, or a small pool for each individual character).  Alternately, you could actually make the equipment cost JP and increase the players' starting pool accordingly.

On the positive side, there would be no need to make all the weapons and armors balanced.  Simply give the best items a prohibitive cost and make the players decide what is worth the cost.

On the negative side it makes for more complicated team-building, with players having to map out their equipment in much the same way they do abilities.

In either case it would add another level of strategy to team-building.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

logus

q: is it just me or is mythril bow obviated by ultimus bow 95% of the time? the only reasons I could find for mythril would be punch arts and elemental, but besides that, ultimus bow > mythril bow.

edit:same for oberisk and dragon whisker.

imo, just scratch mythril bow and oberisk.
S3 Official Refresh Spammer

Skip Sandwich

August 02, 2010, 09:25:52 pm #32 Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:45:19 pm by Skip Sandwich
okay, the current scheme for crossbows versus longbows totally shafts longbows

Range
equal on both sides

WP
Crossbow wins on pure WP, AND in effective XA because Longbow's partially speed based formula usually weakens them. OH and crossbows can be used with Two Hands for double the power...yeah...

Effects
Crossbows have a mix of 100% status and extra attacks, Longbows have elemental procs and damage, Crossbows win again just on the basis of 100% status AT RANGE with a HIGH POWER WEAPON

My proposal, Crossbows become re-imagined as small handheld 'bowguns' or dart launchers rather then huge armor piercing blistae (except for Gastrifitus), low damage, but used to inflict status at range.

Bowgun - WP 7 - Range 4 - 25% chance of extra attack

Night Killer - WP 8 - Range 4 - 25% chance of Blind

Crossbow - WP 10 - Range 4 - no special effect

Poison Bow - WP 8 - Range 4 - 25% chance of Poison

Hunting Bow - WP 8 - Range 4 - 25% chance of Don't Move

Gastrifitus - WP 14 - Range 4 - Earth Element, Forced Two-Hands

:EDIT: lowered proposed Gastrifitus WP from 16 to 14
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

FFMaster

All longbows have had their range increased by 1. I agree with the xbow nerfs, anyone else have anything to add?

EDIT: Front page updated longbows.

Kaz

the dancer cloths need to be fixed as well. Will giving them 0 WP make the AI not use them? 2WP is silly anyways. either give it some or none.  also always protect/shell on them is OP imo. I see that on the cloths and a few of the knight swords  :shock:
to hell with you mustadio haters

The Damned

Give them 0 WP will indeed make them wonky IIRC. They're actually fine as is considering they have minimal weapon, but can actually do damage. They were always meant to be evasive weapons before anything else and as philsov's team proved, while Dancers can take tank quite handily with that and (Mag.) Defense UP, I'd argue they actually need that to be effective since they really don't have much else with Nameless Dance, Last Dance and even Item getting nerfed.

The Knight Swords...probably need to change, but considering no one used them (surprisingly), it's kind of hard to say.

As for Crossbows, I agree with Skip Sandwich. 100% Poison on Poison Bow was OP anyway. Only thing I disagree with him is that Gastraphetes/Gastrifitis should be Earth-element, but I can see why he'd suggest that and it doesn't seem like a huge deal; Gastraphetes definitely needs to be Forced-2H, though I've always said that since vanilla. Night Killer (or Poison Bow, but not both) could maybe be Dark since I'd argue that we need more Dark attacks, especially since none of the weapons are Dark.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

the problem with cloths is more that the AI still likes using them (quite stupidly, imo!) on units when dance is better.  To this end, I actually suggest making them one range so the AI is even less stupid with them.  Maybe go down to 1 WP, too.  

100% Poison, by itself, wasn't too bad either -- its more that the AI frantically likes to cleanse it (at least, from what I saw) which is where the real lockdown occurred.  I like the new xbow scheme though.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

The Damned

Yeah, that's what I meant by OP: Basically if the computer has an ability that should cure Poison, they're pretty much guaranteed to use their next turn curing Poison even if they'll just get Poisoned right again next round. My first match is pretty much THE example of this because of Masamune not being Random flagged, so See No Evil spent precious time trying to Masamune himself repeatedly instead of using Heal (which he had used the first time) and died like an idiot.

Reducing Cloth range and WP seems fine. I'm still not sure why they were negating the Confusion of people they couldn't 2HKO. It's still a mystery....

CT5Holy

Knightswords are fine. Yes, Always: Protect/Shell is quite powerful, but they don't get shields. Shields are very interesting and useful in Arena and can be just as powerful.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

FFMaster

Spike Shoes is now - Band of Elements: Neutral: All Elements (done by being Weak/Strong against all elements). This is also implemented in the BETA110 patch.