• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:56:14 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Games that you despise, and some people love it.

Started by Shade, July 17, 2009, 09:52:16 am

DarthPaul

July 17, 2009, 08:15:35 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
QuoteThe worst offender of being overrated, I think, would be the Sims. It's a virtual dollhouse.

Funny I too hate the Sims yet I much enjoy Animal Crossing.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Bastard Poetry

July 18, 2009, 01:00:15 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
FFXII is my #3 favorite, right below FFVI and FFT.

I wouldn't say it's overrated at all, because a great majority of people in FF communities seem to despise XII. Coincidentally, a great majority of the population, particularly here in the US, is retarded and most of them think they've figured out the patterns of scratch tickets.

Also, the Kingdom Hearts games ONLY would have sucked if they didn't have bad-assed Disney worlds and characters. A bunch of sissy kids running around whining to FF characters would have been a collosal waste of money and time. A game that allowed us to revisit some of the greatest movies and characters of our childhood--well, my childhood at least, you damned kids--made the series amazing.

Nothing is cooler than hearing Donald Duck say "Oh no, it's Sephiroth!"

I hate the following games:

FFVIII

Other than that, I haven't played any Guitar Heroes or Haloes or S-Force Shooter Squadron-types or whatever. I don't like most video games.

Here are my gaming habits, in a nutshell:

75% = FFT

25% = NES classics, SNES classics, Genesis classics, Final Fantasies 1-12 (sans VIII, X-2 and XI) and the occasional Square side project. And the Bard's Tale. For the PS2. Cary Elwes did the voice of the Bard, and it was fucking hilarious.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Vanya

July 18, 2009, 01:54:07 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Hate FFXI. Don't like any game I'm forced to spend continual amounts of money on to play, and I especially hate games that pass themselves of as part of a series while blatantly not. I would have been ok with this game and with FFXIII if they either were titled FFOnline and FFOnline2 respectively or if they had a single player mode. Fuck Square and their incessantly milking ways.

That said I like FFXII overall, but I wasn't a fan of the obviously MMO styled gameplay. Also,  the point in the story where Matsuno left Square is so glaringly obvious that it sickened me. And the patch job they did to finish the game was just pathetic. This game could have been so much better. It's a damn shame Matsuno wasn't around to finish it.

FFVIII is another that I liked but could have been so much better. The story was just week and Squall's an asshole. I would have like a game staring Laguna better.

Other than that, I hate pretty much all sports games. It's like realistic driving games. They're fucking pointless. If I want to play realistic football or drive a realistic car I'll fucking well go out and play real football and drive a real car. Fuck there are even places you can go race for real. If I'm gonna play a sports game it better damn well have mutants, robots, and zombies in it. And, if I'm gonna play a racing game, my vehicle better damn well have weapons and go 900 mph.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

PX_Timefordeath

July 18, 2009, 02:22:37 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
You don't want to play as Kobe Bryant and score 100 points with him alone? But yeah at the forced money to play. A lot of MMOs are "free", but in order to do shit you have to blow about 50 dollars.

Kaijyuu

July 18, 2009, 02:27:32 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
For $15, you could buy two pizzas. Rent a couple movies. Or a month of playtime with an MMO.

You get quite a bit of bang for your buck with many pay-to-play services, assuming you enjoy the service they're offering anyway.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

July 18, 2009, 03:43:40 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Bastard Poetry did you just say you like Bard's Tale!? OMG how did we not know that we had this in common. Such an incredible under rated game. Plus fucking hilarious. Though I will admit it gets a bit hard and level grinding I think and thus I haven't beaten it...

FF XII is awesome and it is sad it didn't reach it's full potential due to the change in directors, but I think that only affected story. Kingdom Hearts has some really good spots and I have actually beat both of them so that says something only slightly relating to their difficult. Xenogears is an amazing amazing game.

Vanya I'm with you 100% on the sports and racing games. Ever play Rollcage or Rollcage II for the PSX?

Games I hate that others like:
FFIX: Only FF game I honestly dislike. Possibly only because any game that requires you to equip a certain weapon to get a skill is super unimaginative.

FFTA Series: Oh wait this game does that too, way to ruin an amazing job wheel system and JP points. Assholes.

There are more I will think of them later.
Current Projects:

Shade

July 18, 2009, 04:30:41 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
I neither like that system, I mean it just blow's ass.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Mental_Gear

July 18, 2009, 05:05:45 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
I played both Advance games and liked the Mission system. And nothing else.

Mental_Gear

July 18, 2009, 05:07:29 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
@Cheetah: I read about rollcage, is it good?

Kaijyuu

July 18, 2009, 05:33:08 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "Mental_Gear"I played both Advance games and liked the Mission system. And nothing else.
Much agreed. FFTA's missions > FFT's propositions. Everything else is either the same or worse.
  • Modding version: PSX

philsov

July 18, 2009, 12:06:35 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteThe worst offender of being overrated, I think, would be the Sims. It's a virtual dollhouse.

I actually liked it for a bit; but once I basically "solved" the game, it became a matter of just playing and going through the motions.  Rather boring, really.  But figuring out the solution is the fun part, imo.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

July 18, 2009, 01:10:55 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
@Vanya: As far as football games go the only one I play is Blitz 2. It is football without most of the retarded rules. Meaning half your team will be knocked out of the game for anything from a broken wrist to a collapsed skull. And if it racing we are looking at Midnight Club 3. Almost no realistic driving in that game. Want to make a left turn? Pop up onto your left wheels to change your momentum.  Other than that sports games are a pain in the ass.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Mental_Gear

July 18, 2009, 01:23:24 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Best sports game ever? Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. Four-aside footy + epic jumping cars = WIN

Cheetah

July 18, 2009, 01:36:56 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Mental Gear: Oh yeah either of the Rollcages are really good, the sense of speed is just mind boggling. Crazy hectic racing with exploding buildings and jumping 100s of feet upside down. Tis sweet.

FFTA's missions are very cool and definitely worth implementing in FFT...
Current Projects:

Vanya

July 18, 2009, 03:20:53 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I remember hearing about Rollcage, but I never played them. I'll them it a try.
My all time favorite is still Rally Cross (the first one, not the pussied out 2nd one!)!
The gravity in that game was just stupid funny and that's on the normal setting! The low-grav setting was just ridiculous!
And flipping the car back over after a rollover by shifting the passengers' weight back and forth was brilliant! LOL!
The best thing that game had going for it until Burn Out 2 was the suicide mode races with all your competitors going the opposite direction from you! Awesome crashes for the time.

The only recent sports game that was interesting to me at all was that Head Coach one since it isn't every day you get to coach a team.

I actually liked FF9 'cause it went back to basics in many of it's aspects.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

July 18, 2009, 07:39:47 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Kingdom Hearts II sucked a big one.  I loved the first one though.

FFIX was fun, but I'll never play it again because of the blandest main character ever: Zidane.  Vivi = Awesome.  Steiner = Cool Enough.  Garnet = Cool Enough.  Amarant = Cool.  Eiko = Cool Enough.  Quina = Fmeh.  Zidane = Fun Blackhole.

And as for FFVII, I agree with whomever said it was overhyped but not overrated.  That game is amazing, but with a million people trying to shove how great it is down your throat, most people walk into it with a sour stomach.  And I'm still waiting on someone's reasons why FFVII is not awesome (I think it was either SentinelBlade or PX_Timefordeath).

Gotwald

July 18, 2009, 11:45:09 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gotwald
FFTA2: The story was about how a kid had to have fun to solve all his problems. The story was worse and FFTA! Starting each battle with 0 MP. WTF. Hard mode isn't hard (unlike 1.3). WTF. That one time I missed 4 99% in a row and then the game got 3 15% in a row right after. The enemies not having to follow the law, even when it is super super gay, like the law is no missing and if you break the law you lose the battle, and you miss on a 99% chance. Or the mission where you have to target adjacent units or you fail, and then you crit so it knocks them back and you fail. Not starting with all jobs unlocked is kind of annoying, considering in 1.3 even if you unlock all jobs you still hurt yourself by being higher level. Finally, charmed units do not follow the laws, unlike in FFTA, and will go out of their way to break them.
-- Attention Citizens, this is the Computer. 2 + 2 now equals 3.9999238849009985. Please recalibrate your equipment.

My youtube Channel
My 1.3 Playthough (Complete)
My Final fantasy I Blind playthrough

SilvasRuin

July 19, 2009, 02:06:20 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I had a lot of fun playing FFVII, and that is what is ultimately the most important thing.  I'll admit that I thought Sephiroth was a fun villain to hate too.

Erm, I don't recall laws making you lose very many missions in FFTA2.  A vast majority of the time, laws can be completely ignored in that game.  The 0 MP is nothing when you consider the game added MP regen to everything.  You just had to plan your MP use more carefully instead of spam your best stuff right off the bat.  That or use some MP restorative setups to fuel your mages.The MP costs were dropped a significant amount to accommodate the change too.  The main story did indeed suck, but the side stories are some of the best side stories in the series in my opinion.  There was a larger variety of useful units than FFTA had, despite having a few stinkers of its own.  (Anything Seeq sucks unless you abuse reverse item X-potions.)  If you must complain about something, complain about the real issue, the time it takes to finally get some weapons in the store.  It certainly has its flaws, but it kicked FFTA's ass.

I can understand why people like Final Fantasy VI, but I can't stand it, personally.  I like being able to complete everything in the game and to make characters meet their full potentials.  FFVI has at least one permanently missable character, lots of missable Gao mimics, several missable good items, and I've never bothered to even attempt to plan out Magicite use for leveling even though it bothered me.  That game is all kinds of frustrating for me, and I don't want to have to glue my nose to a guide to make sure I don't miss anything.  At least the summon materia in FFVII were pretty noticeable if you kept your eyes peeled.

I'm not sure which I dislike more though, VI's missable stuff or X's tedium.  Getting/making the ultimate equipment in X was annoying as hell (never could get Kimarhi's or Lulu's, and I never bothered to get good at Blitzball), and tracking down all the monsters to create the challenge fights could get rather frustrating.  That's just the optional end of game stuff though, right?  Except I rather disliked the rest of the game as well.  The equipment might as well not have been customizable as it was a pain to get enough materials for stuff until end-game.  The boss fights were all either monotonous or games of Simon Says.  Overdrive the hell out of them was the way to kill most of it.  It was only slightly creative when the bosses started banishing your summons... except then ALL OF THEM started doing it.  So much for creativity.  Other than maybe some of the challenge fights you had to create by catching monsters, the only boss that actually took some brain power was Yunalesca.  Fun fight.  The rest of the bosses sucked.

I liked FFX-2's class system.  Playing around with Dark Knights and Alchemists was fun.  Navigating Sphere Grids was not, I'll admit, but I tended to just stick with the grid that had my favorite flat bonus and then just keep them whatever class I wanted them using.  Sphere Break was entertaining after I got the hang of it.  I'll agree that the story and choices really didn't live up to its in-game hype.  The difficulty was sadly sub-par too, until you get to the Via Infinito.  It had its good points and bad points, like most things do in my opinion.  It didn't just suck.  For something to truly suck, it should be at the point of not being playable, like FFTA comes pretty dang close to with the three laws, jail, and robbing you of your (potentially rare or one of) items.

The Fire Emblem and Shining Force games do not live up to their reputations.  Don't misunderstand.  They ARE, good... but they have more than their fair share of overhype.  I would not rank a single one of them among my most favorite games.

If everyone is in a love-hate relationship with a game, does it count even slightly?  I can't help but mention Prinny.  I hate it.  I love it.

Aquilae

July 19, 2009, 02:41:00 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae
I agree, the missable stuff in VI is very annoying, and the rages are downright impossible to get. It is like they put the Veldt there just to annoy you. I haven't seriously used Gau because of that. I'm not really that much of a completionist, I wouldn't bother to get every item or skill in the game. I don't think you need Magicite bonuses, the high-end spells and Ultima Weapon already do enough as it is.
:gay:

Mental_Gear

July 19, 2009, 10:36:21 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Another thing - FF7 is well worth its PSN price, particularly because you can put it on PSP. Also, I wonder why I hate kingdom hearts but enjoy crisis core's combat when they're quite similar.

@ Silvas: I absolutely LOVED X's blitzball! One of my favourite minigames ever! Sphere break was really addictive in X-2 also. I don't know why but I couldn't stop playing it despite the fact it's really not at all profitable.

Would I be the only one thinking FF games are only hard if you 'make' them hard by equipping worse equipment, putting ATB speed to max, etc.? I only struggled at a couple points in X's story (Seymour on Gagazet mainly), only a rough patch in XII (rescuing Basch), and Crisis Core is quite easy. FFX-2, now...I beat all the final boss forms in 15 minutes, and Shuyin was piss easy. My girls had like 4K HP each and the most damage he could do to one was 500 with Terror of Zanarkand.

I played all Tactics Advance games and really liked Advance 2...I think that if square make another FFT they should keep the different races systems (having more jobs for each, needless to say), and the missions, and perhaps have most abilities learned via JP but a couple awesome ones per job via weapon learning. Having EVERY ability taught through weapons in the advance games was sometimes fun but your equipment choices were pretty much dictated by learning.

Some of the jobs were pathetic though. The Illusionists in Advance 1 were worthless, like 4 damage. And why the hell were all the archer abilities spread over 3 jobs?!