• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:12 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Mercenaries (Main Info Thread)

Started by LastingDawn, May 24, 2008, 03:17:02 pm

LastingDawn

June 27, 2009, 06:49:36 pm #460 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I know I haven't updated much in... well a long time but that's because there was a "random battle spritesheet limitation" hurdle that first had to be jumped if I wanted any of my random missions to succeed. I looked and looked but to no avail, then Zodiac started to help and we made some slight headway into other directions, but nothing with this random battle spritesheet limitation. Then while I was away today I come back to find that Zodiac fixed the problem! We were looking in the wrong place for the wrong thing! In any case Zodiac has solved it all and we are back on schedule! Feel free to continue with Random Missions and (as long as they don't go over 8 Spritesets...) I will review them and try to include them!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

June 27, 2009, 09:39:13 pm #461 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Great news Lasting Dawn! You will have to tell me later how it was finally done.
Current Projects:

ruwin

June 28, 2009, 04:37:01 am #462 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ruwin
I am thoroughly impressed by the level of detail in the storyline, class system and... well... everything in this hack. It's as if FFT has transformed entirely. I will refrain from downloading any demos until the full game is released, as I am far too impatient once given a taste of what's to come, but this is a seriously ambitious project and I applaud you.

LastingDawn

July 02, 2009, 04:58:18 am #463 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "ruwin"I am thoroughly impressed by the level of detail in the storyline, class system and... well... everything in this hack. It's as if FFT has transformed entirely. I will refrain from downloading any demos until the full game is released, as I am far too impatient once given a taste of what's to come, but this is a seriously ambitious project and I applaud you.

I could have sworn I replied to this... (also Grand avatar!!)
In any case, yes. It is a fully different feel from the original FFT, which wasn't initially the purpose, but eh... in reality it was inevitable. From the start I wanted a game of only Rad and Ramza, that would have been very difficult to make work, with the initial skills. "Abuse" is hardly a possibility. With only two units you can set, you must be careful and use all openings to your advantages.

Mercenaries aims to be a lot of things, it takes cues from FFTA, (Alicia and Lavian's sets are all but based off of their sills), FF4 (the ever changing party aspect of four always stuck with me), Vagrant Story (Mercenaries is in some ways an attempt at imitating a feeling of loneliness, though still being in a tight unit as Gafgarion's Troupe.) Not to mention taking blatant skill names, and basing Invoker, on the skills of the game. Though whether it succeeds in being any of these well... that's not my judgment.

Though once I do release the first patch (it might actually be a multi-patch sort of deal), in that case it will be episodic, in that regard. Each chapter, while connected is it's own contained story, which while having references and consequences of past chapters, really are a bit self contained.

Art of War

The Damned

July 07, 2009, 02:33:54 pm #464 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
It's good to see at least one of is still going, Lasting Dawn. It's been a while.

When you get the time, I'd like to ask you something with regards to Gambler (yet again).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

LastingDawn

July 08, 2009, 02:12:59 pm #465 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "The Damned"It's good to see at least one of is still going, Lasting Dawn. It's been a while.

When you get the time, I'd like to ask you something with regards to Gambler (yet again).

Welcome back! I had feared you left us permenantly, glad to see I was mistaken, so what was your question?

Art of War

beawulfx

July 15, 2009, 01:01:54 am #466 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
LD my good man, there's one thing I've meant to ask about Mercenaries. From what I gather Rad/Ramza are the only two characters that will be able to be modified by the player as they see fit, correct? While I am still in awe of all you are doing here the only concern/question I have is that you have so many creative jobs that look like an absolute blast to play around with and customize but only two characters with which to do so.

I may be missing something/totally off base there, but I guess it's not a slight on the game just the fact that I want to be able to enjoy and utilize all those classes because they look so damn fun! [for example, the bullets/gun combo still makes me drool]
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

LastingDawn

July 15, 2009, 04:15:55 am #467 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "beawulfx"LD my good man, there's one thing I've meant to ask about Mercenaries. From what I gather Rad/Ramza are the only two characters that will be able to be modified by the player as they see fit, correct? While I am still in awe of all you are doing here the only concern/question I have is that you have so many creative jobs that look like an absolute blast to play around with and customize but only two characters with which to do so.

I may be missing something/totally off base there, but I guess it's not a slight on the game just the fact that I want to be able to enjoy and utilize all those classes because they look so damn fun! [for example, the bullets/gun combo still makes me drool]

Hmm... this is a bit of a difficult question to answer... two characters avoids a lot of the "broken" combinations that can be done with a team. The name of the game, in Mercenaries is Adaption, Equip Change will play a part (hopefully a large part...) because there is no best armor, best weapon, it is all up to one's own preferences (except Daggers, they're pretty onesided). I am flirting with the idea of removing the growths so Ramza and Rad will always, be set to be either a magical or physical class, I don't want to make people feel as if Ramza needs to be one way and Rad another.

There is plenty to customize and play around with, I am guessing Knight will probably be a favorite class, I for one love the Dark/Holy Knight, mix they now represent, for those who love chance, there is always the Gambler, who is almost 100% based upon such. Yes, there is a lot of combinations, but it's not only jobs now but the very weapons and armor one will equip, I'd like to believe that there's a bit more variety in this game, then the original.

Art of War

SilvasRuin

July 15, 2009, 10:02:25 am #468 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I would suggest making their stat growths identical in all classes rather than removing growths.  Or is that what you meant?

I'd likely try and keep Rad magic and Ramza physical either way, whether you do so with the growths or not.  It would just be nice to maybe master a few skills from the other side without having the stats take a hit while doing so, even if it is a little hit.

LastingDawn

July 15, 2009, 12:34:24 pm #469 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yes, that's what I meant hehe, removing the growths altogether would be... odd... to say the least.

Art of War

beawulfx

July 15, 2009, 12:38:42 pm #470 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Thanks for the reply LD. I do see what you are going for a little more clearly now. It is a good idea and I think that being urged to adapt and change more often to suit the situation will be more fun than making a strong party and never really switching it up throughout. I guess it's just a matter of a little greed on my part. I see all these classes and I want to have them all at once, haha, that's all. Thanks for quelling my concerns, keep up the great work!

PS - Funeral is in serious need of some grooming. Those eyebrows are deadly.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Kagebunji

July 16, 2009, 02:42:48 pm #471 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
I lurked here for long time, and I have to ask you LD 2 questions. First one, will there be characters like Balthier or Meliadoul, and I thinked about replacing Agrias with Beatrix, if that's impossible o'course. Could you tell me please, will Cloud be in Mercenaries? If yes maybe You would replace him with Zack?? And finally the last question, how is the process going, when will you release it, oh and will it be playable on psp? Well there was more questions afterall (sorry for spelling, I'm learning english).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

LastingDawn

July 16, 2009, 04:00:38 pm #472 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Kagebunji"I lurked here for long time, and I have to ask you LD 2 questions. First one, will there be characters like Balthier or Meliadoul, and I thinked about replacing Agrias with Beatrix, if that's impossible o'course. Could you tell me please, will Cloud be in Mercenaries? If yes maybe You would replace him with Zack?? And finally the last question, how is the process going, when will you release it, oh and will it be playable on psp? Well there was more questions afterall (sorry for spelling, I'm learning english).

Oh, learning English? I'd say your English is better then about 50% of the people here already.

In any case, Meliadoul is a very small plot character in Mercenaries, Balthier will more then likely make an appearance in a sidequest, not sure where, but I'm sure he'll make it in somewhere. If you want to replace sprites, you should pick up Shishi on the main site's "Download" page, you can replace a lot of things. The only thing that might be wrong is that Agrias has a few evtchr's (special animations unique to certain units)

Cloud will (probably...) be in a sidequest, Zack will probably be as well, Sephiroth will make an appearance, but only as a combatant in the Lion War.

The process is slow-going, but I'm making good progress, a release is up in the air, as I plan to release it episodically, there is a version planned for PSP but I'll only deal with that after I've finished the PSX version completely. The PSP version is a bit more complicated.

Art of War

Kagebunji

July 16, 2009, 06:24:32 pm #473 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Yeah I'm from Poland, have 5 from english, I learned it all from games, and who said games are bad to us? Thanks for encouragement :D. Oh and I found already topic here about creating sprites so this won't help ;(. Anyway I hope you can help me LD ;)

Kagebunji

July 18, 2009, 12:04:49 pm #474 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Hmm, everything would be cool, if you would tell me how the heck you will run it on psx/ps1? You have a program or something? In my ps1 there is no usb enter, or somethin.

SilvasRuin

July 18, 2009, 01:48:34 pm #475 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
What?  Most people here use ePSXe, I believe.  You can use your keyboard as the controller and set which keys do what.

Kagebunji

July 18, 2009, 02:04:51 pm #476 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Do FFT must have some uber computer to run properly or no? Well I suppose instaling the whole ePSXe is hard, isn't it?

CT5Holy

July 18, 2009, 02:27:33 pm #477 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CT5Holy
Nope, no super computer required. A normal computer should be fine (ran fine on Windows 98 =P). Google ePSXe, download version 1.6 under 'Old Peripherals' in the Downloads section, then download the stuff needed to setup ePSXe (google for that, too).
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Kagebunji

July 18, 2009, 02:39:27 pm #478 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Thx, now all that's left, is waiting for Mercenaries. I must say, that this is the first site where users are so friendly and try to help you :) Umm I just found epsxe v.1.6 and is it possible to have only 280 KB??

beawulfx

August 21, 2009, 08:44:35 pm #479 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
This is so late in coming LD, but I finally got my new computer and recorded the last of the demo battles at Dorter! I could do the demo justice now since I can record such better quality videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9hB29tz2kg

It's an awesome fight, went way too smoothly because of Blade Flurry though :P