• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

A letter of appreciation (7th year anniversary)

Started by Aiolon, March 29, 2020, 01:04:52 pm

Aiolon

HAPPY LAUNCH ANNIVERSARY JOT5

Hello, Elric and the other smart guys behind the development of JOT5. (I know most of your names but since im not entirely certain that i got all of them, i prefer to not mention them one by one since i honestly don't want to forget about someone and discredit them)

I would like to share a small, boring story with you!
7 years ago as i was browsing youtube a curious video of FFT with some odd stuff in it caught my eye. It was the Parted ways mod IRC.
As soon as i learned about this mod, i came to FFH for the first time and had some fun looking at the stuff you guys were creating here.
Lucky as i was back then, only a few days after i discovered this community, JOT5 launched its very first version and i, of course, went ahead and played it.

I was shocked and could have never, absolutely never imagined that one day i would be playing a game of my childhood but with Dante, Link and Solid Snake on it.
The first events, the way you portrayed each of the characters was incredible. I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to play and finish the respective games of each of those characters before JOT5 so i already knew what they were like and was honestly very curious to see how they got along with each other.
The moment the line "This sword looks like a piece of shit" dropped, i just knew i was going to love the mod and i was not wrong.

The first battle began, and it didn't take me long to notice that i was not playing the Orbonne or the Gariland fight from vanilla. I was legitimately getting my ass kicked but i managed to win  :cool: .
and so, after that horrendous victory, i went into the menu and studied each of the characters' skillsets. Excited, wanting to unlock them just to see what they look like and maybe pop a quote. I went ahead and fought the v1.1 of barius hill with the difficulty on: "Player must die" courtesy of Raven.

stuff happened, i won some fights, i lost some others, but wanting to continue and find out what was going to happen next, i had no choice but to get gud and win my way to the end. and i was of course wanting to see more but the little mod i had just finished left me very, very impressed and satisfied.

These days, 7 years after, as i got hit by nostalgia right after playing the predatory mobile crap that is FFBE:WOTV (wich i actually like)
I got FFT fever and decided to turn on my laptop and play some real FFT but... something was wrong. I noticed vanilla FFT bores me to death  :|
Must be because i have played and finished several mods and the fact i even made my own, but i remembered one in particular that was just "perfect": JOT5 of course. So i loaded it and BOY! i got just what i needed.

All in all. All i want to say is: THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this amazing experience! Having learned how to mod FFT i also learned how extremely time consuming, tiring and from a moder's standpoint: Overwhelming it is to make mod. its not the same when you know every bit of it, so the best part you get its not to play the game, but the praise you get from those who get to play it.

I couldn't bring myself to properly share the excitement and joy i got from this project back when it was hot and hype. I was very shy and back then, my English was nuts  :(  (It still is. But i've gotten better)

I have just finished another playthrough of this gem and i wrote this wall of text out of nostalgia maybe, but im certain this is not the last time i play it. Even if chapter 2 is never to come, i will forever treasure this slice of the cake.

Late Congratulations Elric.

With love and grattitude, from a random guy on the Internet  :oops:
  • Modding version: PSX
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

3lric

Quote from: Aiolon on March 29, 2020, 01:04:52 pm
HAPPY LAUNCH ANNIVERSARY JOT5

Hello, Elric and the other smart guys behind the development of JOT5. (I know most of your names but since im not entirely certain that i got all of them, i prefer to not mention them one by one since i honestly don't want to forget about someone and discredit them)

I would like to share a small, boring story with you!
7 years ago as i was browsing youtube a curious video of FFT with some odd stuff in it caught my eye. It was the Parted ways mod IRC.
As soon as i learned about this mod, i came to FFH for the first time and had some fun looking at the stuff you guys were creating here.
Lucky as i was back then, only a few days after i discovered this community, JOT5 launched its very first version and i, of course, went ahead and played it.

I was shocked and could have never, absolutely never imagined that one day i would be playing a game of my childhood but with Dante, Link and Solid Snake on it.
The first events, the way you portrayed each of the characters was incredible. I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to play and finish the respective games of each of those characters before JOT5 so i already knew what they were like and was honestly very curious to see how they got along with each other.
The moment the line "This sword looks like a piece of shit" dropped, i just knew i was going to love the mod and i was not wrong.

The first battle began, and it didn't take me long to notice that i was not playing the Orbonne or the Gariland fight from vanilla. I was legitimately getting my ass kicked but i managed to win  :cool: .
and so, after that horrendous victory, i went into the menu and studied each of the characters' skillsets. Excited, wanting to unlock them just to see what they look like and maybe pop a quote. I went ahead and fought the v1.1 of barius hill with the difficulty on: "Player must die" courtesy of Raven.

stuff happened, i won some fights, i lost some others, but wanting to continue and find out what was going to happen next, i had no choice but to get gud and win my way to the end. and i was of course wanting to see more but the little mod i had just finished left me very, very impressed and satisfied.

These days, 7 years after, as i got hit by nostalgia right after playing the predatory mobile crap that is FFBE:WOTV (wich i actually like)
I got FFT fever and decided to turn on my laptop and play some real FFT but... something was wrong. I noticed vanilla FFT bores me to death  :|
Must be because i have played and finished several mods and the fact i even made my own, but i remembered one in particular that was just "perfect": JOT5 of course. So i loaded it and BOY! i got just what i needed.

All in all. All i want to say is: THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this amazing experience! Having learned how to mod FFT i also learned how extremely time consuming, tiring and from a moder's standpoint: Overwhelming it is to make mod. its not the same when you know every bit of it, so the best part you get its not to play the game, but the praise you get from those who get to play it.

I couldn't bring myself to properly share the excitement and joy i got from this project back when it was hot and hype. I was very shy and back then, my English was nuts  :(  (It still is. But i've gotten better)

I have just finished another playthrough of this gem and i wrote this wall of text out of nostalgia maybe, but im certain this is not the last time i play it. Even if chapter 2 is never to come, i will forever treasure this slice of the cake.

Late Congratulations Elric.

With love and grattitude, from a random guy on the Internet  :oops:

This gave me all the feels. I know its been forever, but Jot5 is still being worked on. It's slow going and i cannot say when the re-release and Ch2 (pretty much a combo package at this point) will come out, since we've about finished the mining event, but still need to copy/pasta that for the wood gathering event, as well as then working on the farming event, which will be a pain. But we are still making progress :)

Thank you for sharing your story, you've made an old man's day.

3lric