• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:32:55 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Should FFH have its own channel for mod videos?

Started by Eternal248, August 30, 2011, 05:07:13 am

Should FFH have its own channel for mod videos?

Yes
12 (63.2%)
No
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Tyler

August 30, 2011, 10:44:12 pm #20 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:44:38 pm by Tyler
Quote from: Wiz on August 30, 2011, 10:23:51 pm
Personally, I wouldn't make a playlist of X person's playthrough if it's not going to be completed with there being no indications that it's going to be finished. If people truly want their vids to get noticed, they should at the very least be committed to getting it done by showing consistency in terms of writing out an uploading schedule, when they'll be unable to work on it and such.

This is really crucial to a successful youtube channel. Definitely. People are more likely to subscribe and stick around/stay interested if the player/uploader is interested, interesting, and consistent.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: tylerf#3233

GeneralStrife

Wiz, droppin a knowledge bomb on yall's asses.

Dome

August 31, 2011, 03:34:49 pm #22 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:51:18 pm by Dome
So...everyone should upload videos on his own channel in your opinion?
Or Did I miss something*?

Anyway, since you directly answered to me
@Wiz
Red: I Never said the one who records the video must be the same person that uploads it

Blue: I know it doubles the amount of work (The maker of the video must upload it, and someone else downloads it/re-uploads it again to YT) but allows people who doesn't want to upload FFT stuff to their channels (Example: Me, because as I already said I applied to become a YT partner and I don't want copyrighted stuff on my channel) to make videos, which will promote FFH
About the second part...yeah, not much people finish what they start, I'm aware of that...

*If I did, please make a TL;DR version of your previous posts to explain

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

MysticKnightFF5

Besides, if it falls through, there are no negatives.
It's not like we're actually taking a chance here, and it seems pointless to be arguing about it anyways. If somebody has the patience to get a YT channel set up for it (naturally it wouldn't be mandatory to upload to if you make your own videos), then by all means, let them set it up. I see no reason to restrict them when the results of failing is we go back to how we were before this idea. Yet, if it succeeds, many good things could come of it.

Wiz

QuoteSo...everyone should upload videos on his own channel in your opinion?

Gameplay vids that feature someone else's hack to answer your question yes.

QuoteRed: I Never said the one who records the video must be the same person that uploads it

That's not what I'm referring to.

A

QuoteIn this way, whoever wants to play a mod but can't/doesn't want to upload such videos in his channel will have a place to upload them  :-)
(For example, I could make videos about CoP, Parted Ways, CCP, etc etc...)

B

QuoteOpen to the public? What do you mean, that everyone should know the password?
Lol

You argue in A that it's alright all individuals have access to the FFH channel because they "will have a place to upload them" instead of their channel in your own words. Now in B, you deny that you made that very suggestion and it's dumb to do so because the facts are right there and don't lie.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the discrepancy between the two statements. Although you replied to this question of FFM'S, you didn't give a valid response as to how it's more magically effective to ask a mod to upload your vid onto FFH's channel than to just do it yourself and I'll explain why.

Quote from: FFMasterSo why not just upload them to their own channel instead of having to send to a mod who then uploads? Sounds pretty fucking stupid still.

Your reply (summarized): "Because they'd have to put the vids on their YT channel, which they may not want".

Simple solution, if you don't want your main YT channel flooded with FFT content, make ANOTHER channel exclusively for that purpose and upload there.

E.G. "Wizdaddy714FFT".

I'm truly surprised that this didn't cross your mind. You yourself acknowledged that it "doubles" the amount of work through the use of mods to get vids up meaning more strings are attached, so why press this point when you know you're flat out wrong about having this opinion?

I'll put it to you this way, if John Smith said that he was going to play FFT Plus and do the story-mode only (Excludes Sidequests, DD, and all the custom randoms), and 3 months later, decides to fall back and abandon the idea after completing Ch. 3, what are you going to do? Leave the series incomplete? Or get rid of it because he didn't fulfill his promise. I sure as hell don't want to have my time wasted uploading his content only for it to be passed off as another member of FFH biting off more than they can chew.

QuoteBesides, if it falls through, there are no negatives.
It's not like we're actually taking a chance here, and it seems pointless to be arguing about it anyways.

What falls through? This hypothetical second channel? If so, yes there is a negative/chance, it's called time is wasted for all the uploaders. Giving everyone access to this second channel's a bad idea, because that greatly increases the chances that it'll get deleted (reality is not everyone can be trusted).

QuoteI see no reason to restrict them when the results of failing is we go back to how we were before this idea.

How's asking them to upload to their own dedicated YT channel restrictive? On the contrary, linking to another user's vid through one main hub is a win-win situation for everyone in terms of promoting for both the host and partner/FFH and user(The higher the Vid View Count, the higher the chance of getting noticed on YT for all parties i.e. the user and FFHackticsTournament, which this hub already is if you type it in the search bar).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Tyler

I haven't really looked around much. Do we have a main YT channel for FFH right now? And if so, what is it called? Noticed FinalFantasyHacktics was shut down.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: tylerf#3233

RavenOfRazgriz

We should have a second Youtube Channel dedicated to mod content - but that content should not be large endeavors like full playthroughs.  Ever.  That content should be previews of various patches, showcasing of various tools made by the community, tutorials, etc.  When a video previewing a fully-released patch is made, the description can be edited to include links to playlists of various people's playthroughs of the game for people interested in those sort of thing, but it shouldn't be something the channel is about.

Tl;dr: We should have a second channel, but only for the purposes of tech demos, displays, previews, tutorials, etc. and not full-patch playthroughs.  If you want to do a full playthrough, either do it on your own channel or make a new one for it.

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wiz

And I say it's unnecessary.

If the channel was called "FinalFantasyHackticsdotcom", do you really think this exact conversation would be taking place right now? I have a hard time believing that you didn't bring this question up because of the YT channel's name.

I'll say it again...

Quote from: The current channel's meant to be a collaborative one linked with all info related to it.

Those who are subscribed and/or follow FFHackticsTournament who at the same time aren't active on these forums know that this channel functions the same way as FinalFantasyHacktics did despite what it's name leads you to believe. Hell, a patching tutorial made by me's already up + there's a couple other ones on my channel (Hex Editing, Spriting via Color Swaps), Wizdaddy714, I wouldn't mind putting up, but am not doing so because I fear my ass will chewed w/o asking permission first.

Quote from: RavenofRazgrizWhen a video previewing a fully-released patch is made, the description can be edited to include links to playlists of various people's playthroughs of the game for people interested in those sort of thing, but it shouldn't be something the channel is about.

You could also advertise other's channels on the main channel page (as in here) and direct people to it where it's in this type of a format (look under the heading "The Church of Jesus Grandma").

tl;dr: I see no reason why everything else shouldn't go on the existing channel because there's no compelling argument listing any cons about having only one hub.

As a side note, if people are concerned about too many people getting access (i.e. Password) to the channel for fear of a it getting deleted, a simple solution is to leave the account info into the hands of a dozen trustworthy people (even that seems like too many imo...perhaps like 7 or 8). Then, have everyone else post onto their YT channel (even if it means they create a separate one for FFT/Gaming content exclusively) and the vid will be linked into the corresponding playlist called "FFT Mod Tutorials", "CCP Promos", "CoP Promos" or w.e. For those that don't know and want clarification, playlists that comprise of videos from other people's channels are possible to make, meaning YT's all the more customizable.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenOfRazgriz

You're right Wiz, it is entirely a name thing, but proper and intuitive naming is part of professionalism.  Having a channel named "FFHackticsTournament" be the site's primary channel just looks lazy, and gives newer viewers a false idea of what the content scope is. 

If it's already being used as a catch-all, we don't particularly need a second channel.  Hell, I'd rather we only have one channel.  The name just looks unprofessional and is just overall poor for what's meant to be a "Hub" channel.  If YouTube weren't such bastards and allowed you to change your channel's display name, there'd be no reason to have a second channel.  As it is, it's just feels in somewhat poor form to have a channel advertising itself as being Tournament-focused but actually being the primary channel for everything.

There's really no other reason to have a second channel other than looking professional with our naming, since everything can be Playlisted to make all the various contents easily found anyway.  The naming issue is really the only reason I feel we need two - and that's for the sake of newer members / people finding us on YouTube / etc, not the people already here.