• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Any ASM tutors available?

Started by Talcall, December 27, 2019, 08:19:33 pm

Talcall

I understand this isn't something that comes for free, but i was hoping i could organise some sort of deal with whomever would accept. I would be more than happy to work on bigger projects with people! I have read through the thread posted elsewhere that many newcomers do not have the determination to continue, but i promise that i definitely do, and i am incredibly eager to learn ASM code with somebody, mostly because i don't believe i could learn the ins and outs of the language without initial guidance. If there's anybody available I would really appreciate, and help them with their own endeavours as 'payment.'
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

Talcall

I'm really trying to learn here but neither you guys nor your tutorials are exactly helping very much.
So I figure I'd expand on what i would like help with
i don't need help with the definitions of the code, or what hex/binary is, or what the ANDI operation does. I know how ANDI works. i need help finding things. i need help learning how to find what operations do what in this game, and how to look for specific things.

I understand it's christmas and new years, but i have seen replies to comments elsewhere in the forums since and frankly I'm insulted that you don't think i'm even worth enough your time to say "no"
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Glain

You would have more success asking more specific questions...

"What operations do what" and "how to look for specific things" doesn't exactly give much to go on.  What specific things?  The location of party data in RAM?  The location of the subroutine that levels a unit up in the game code?  For the PSP version, we don't have much of that mapped out.  That means this will be something of a pioneering effort, and you'll need to use a debugger.  You were already, seemingly, on the right track with that, using PPSSPP.  CWCheat codes might also give you a clue as to where certain values are in RAM (and those can be generated with FFTPatcher).  There are also a few relevant threads in the PSP hacking section.  I would think you would have at least looked at this one.

And what do you mean by "operations"?  That does read like you mean low-level instructions, as in arithmetic/logical operations.  If that's not it, what do you actually mean?  Again, we don't have most of the subroutines mapped out for the PSP version, at least as of yet...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

Quotefrankly I'm insulted that you don't think i'm even worth enough your time to say "no"

What would that accomplish, man?

It's not surprising that basically no one with this skill is interested in kicking off a discussion about why they aren't interested.

But if you really want to know why, I can give you a bit of insight. AFAIK, ASM is the single hardest skill to learn for modding FFT, and you're specifically looking to do something considered so challenging and (perhaps more importantly) so time-consuming that not even the top modders of FFH have been willing to dive into so thoroughly.

And as many people can testify, they've had a lot of poor luck even managing to help tutor people to competently edit events. And while there can certainly be a lot of complexity to that, the basic stuff isn't hard at all. Having a newly added character talk and move briefly during the event they join the party in is something that can be done in 20 minutes by someone who knows how - you'd spend more time downloading the tools and reading the tutorial. So how many mods have done this?

Watching people give up when they realize something is harder than Patcher work has been a common waste of time here.

If you want, you can try to keep acting entitled to the right to get help with something people don't actually want to help work on, or even fully understand in the first place, but it's not gonna get you the results you're after.

Or you can do like Glain said, and ask specific questions. "Please help me do this one thing" comes across as less of a time sink than "please help me do all the things related to that entire process".

3lric

Sorry, I will immediately go out and actively scold the 2 people who are even active on this site who know anything about ASM hacking, and make sure they write you a guide immediately for something that very few people ever learned and even less who are still around...

How dare they not want to talk about ASM when they are busy with their lives. And how dare the people who saw you post and knew nothing about ASM, not comment on something they knew nothing about...

For real man... everyone here has taken the time to 'learn' a thing on their own, with minimal help. In terms of difficulty with what we do here, if you were to rate it the way a turorial site does, we would not be at the green and easy level, we are talking about red difficulty levels with some of this stuff. So no, no one is immediately going to drop what they are doing, and hold you hand here...

I joined this site over 9 years ago, when it was still very very active, even then, i got no help with my projects until i proved i was competent enough to hold my own in what I was wanting to do. To the point of spending hundreds of hours working on event work, only to tear it all down and rebuild it again, several times over.

This site exists for people who are willing to put in the work, with the info we've provided across multiple different things we do in regards to modding FFT. Many people have taken time out of their days to make tutorials for their specific craft here on FFH, and you will not come here and demand that they do more. If you cant be patient and begin research and learning on your own, then you wont be happy here.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

Quote from: Portalenthusiast on January 01, 2020, 08:05:23 pm
I understand it's christmas and new years, but i have seen replies to comments elsewhere in the forums since and frankly I'm insulted that you don't think i'm even worth enough your time to say "no"

Ok, I could possibly help to a certain extent, though I have my own very unique style, but I've hardly done any ASM hacking in the past 3 years due to health and financial problems, and I've literally been dying for the past 5 weeks. I hope you're happy now! And don't think I'm pulling one on you. I'm very, very serious and possibly having a heart attack as I type this.

I also don't know anything about, or have any experience with WotL/PPSSPP/whatever. I already told you you'd essentially be on your own. I applaud your efforts so far, but that's about all I can do.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Talcall

The outburst, I can understand, was a bit much. I'm sorry. Life is no excuse given the two completely different circumstances and I should not have treated you all in this way.

Glain, by operations I mean anything with an OPcode in the disassembly and memory, like branching, jumping, logic operations and such. You can edit the bytes of the word with the operation to change the overall effect. That kind of stuff.
And to be more specific, i want to know how to find job and 'gender' (male, female andd monster) data. In the psx version. There's a reason I posted in psx hacking instead of psp hacking, and it's because I know not a lot of people here want to or know how to extently hack the psp version.

Nyzer, Again, I posted explicitly to the psx hacking part of the forum because there are people who know how to hack this version of the game. I understand the difficulty, and this is why I'm trying to ask for help because I know I can't learn myself if I have no basis. I'm aware it's way harder that ffpatcher and I haven't given up yet.
I'll be sure to take your collective advice on the singular question asking.

Elric, im sorry. I'm not exactly sure what to say to that. But I'm sorry. I honestly am trying my best to learn asm. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to go after the tutorials on the site, but I shouldn't have made an outcry like I did, it was childish of me.

Xifanie, I'm sorry I forced you to write that in your condition. I would never have expected you to write anything if you're literally dying.

I should have made myself clearer in all aspects of my initial posts, and I sincerely apologise to all of you for being so childish.
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Talcall

that being said, I've found what I'm looking for, and for all intents and purposes this thread can be marked as solved to avoid further toxicity caused by my end
"00125540 - 001255e0: Locks the screen that allows equipment/ability change if unit is Monster or Mime"
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

3lric

I appreciate your response.

You must understand, everyone who is still active on FFH, specializes in their own things and their own ways of doing said things. Also, to add to what Nyzer said, I've attempted to teach event editing to at least 10-15 people over the years. While this is nowhere near as complex as ASM hacking, and these people promised that they would stick with it and be dedicated to learning when they were able. Guess how many of those people are still around, or stuck around for more than a month or two? Nyzer, he is the only one. And while i am grateful to him for doing so, and that him and I have gotten to work together for many years now, it's also disheartening to know that maybe 8% of my work teaching people, was not wasted. If that makes sense. Even he though, started here at FFH doing very different things than what he does now (he is one of 2 head event editors for Jot5, next to me. Xifanie was going to do more as well, but her health won't allow it and I'm not going to push someone who i care for and have known for almost a decade.

We are a tight-nit group for the most part, and while we may come off harsh at times, all we really want is to see people succeed and get better at what they came here to learn, but we also want to see them stick around.

TL;DR, if we come off harsh, it's because we want you to apply yourself and enjoy what you are doing here. It doesn't mean we don't want to help, its just that there isnt many of us, and of those of us who are here, very few have the knowledge you are looking for currently

Glain

As an aside, if you're looking for specific data in the PSX version, we've documented a lot of it in the Data/Table Locations page on the Wiki.