• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:41 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Valk's Projects: 2021 update (Trance) Terra, Fran, Main Vagrant Story cast +more

Started by Valkirst, May 23, 2014, 03:27:56 pm

3lric

Quote from: Nyzer on April 25, 2019, 09:07:31 pm
Technically you could use event commands and variables to get the unit's X and Y, and possibly use the same to move the unit...

Buuuut that's pretty complicated. And it would still require events to accomplish, it couldn't be an every-battle thing.

What?
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

X and Y coordinates are part of the Battle Stats. So... mayyyyyybe?
I dunno, it's not anything I've come anywhere close to trying. Yet.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valkirst

Floating or dancing to "Lord of the dance?"
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

3lric

Quote from: Nyzer on April 26, 2019, 12:20:42 am
X and Y coordinates are part of the Battle Stats. So... mayyyyyybe?
I dunno, it's not anything I've come anywhere close to trying. Yet.

Dont think it would be quite that simple, but ive been wrong before

Valkirst

It's amazing what a good nights rest can do for creativity.
Completed Sprites

CONMAN

This is looking really nice!  If you finish this, I'm using this for a final boss.  I've used altima 1 sprites in other slots and had only one issue- I think the special teleportation is coded to the original slot... I think.  Also I had repeated issues with using either altima sprites at the same time as lucavi sprites- the lucavi sprites would sort of glitch up their movement.

Valkirst

Thanks Conman, I think I am going to try and complete her as it's something aside from my usual.

edit: why isn't it animating!? 😭
https://gfycat.com/ClassicVibrantGander
This link doesn't animate correctly
Also realized the hands need to be more purple...
Completed Sprites

3lric

Because whatever you did made it only animate once before it stops moving lol.

It's not just the link, I viewed your post and checked the site it's linked at, only 1 animation and stops. Downloaded and then uploaded the file directly here, same thing...

Then I said fuck it and downloaded it directly from the link, and opened it on my laptop. Only 1 animation and stops.

(This is true for all versions of it that you uploaded, and I thought i was being alone in confused that it seemed like you kept uploading still frames lol)

Valkirst

lol Yeah usually runs on a loop, all of my uploads are like that. Otherwise, it would have to mean that I would have to add an infinite amount of frames for it to continue indefinitely.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Couple more images one is up her getting damaged and the other I'm going to replace the casting spell frame to fit her more

Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Completed Sprites

Valkirst

First Draft and inspiration
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Saturated the colors and added more detail... not sure if I should do anything more palette-wise since there is no one like this in game... still not done.
Completed Sprites

Blunderpusse

I think Fran's sprite has a tiny error. I think there are some misaligned pixels during the casting/channeling motion.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
"You sure are a keen observer of the obvious, kupo!"

Valkirst

Thank you so much for letting me know! What happened was where the hand met the ear the same color pixel collided making it look like its extended. I went and added a shadow to it so that when the hand lifts up it won't look like its blending into each other. I also went back and looked at some of the frames I updated frame 13 because she looked too scrunched up and weird and I updated frame 3C as well. 😉

Thank you for using my sprite!

update:
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Changed her up to align with the Sprite model, any tips, pointers, critiques? Also, 1 or 2? I'm partial to #1.

Also part 2 I have the shoulders that way to convey apprehension.
Completed Sprites

3lric

I like the version 1 eyes better. I do like the way this is progressing though. Good job man. Your portrait abilities have improved vastly since you first started on FFH! Just gotta get better about avoiding that pillowshading. It comes with time and practice though :)

Twinees

Hey Valkirst, Elric asked me to come out of retirement to take a quick look at some of your work, so I hope it's okay if I do a little bit of critique. Glad you liked my Lamia/Snake lady design btw.

Your very first draft is honestly probably better than the others/most recent, and I'll try and help pinpoint why.
If you take a look at the chin and neck for example, in each iteration her neck looks like it's building up a bit of gunk. Your first draft has a clean chin and jaw line, though it does need a slight bit more chin to neck shadow. It looks like you've tried to do that on subsequent updates, but you've gone a little overboard with it. The front of the chin has a similar issue where you've built on the area too much. A sharper and a less gradated version would work better here. The weird reflection around the side of the face and on the shoulder should go too.

Keep experimenting with the eyes and colours, I'd personally prefer if they were pushed further towards Vanilla though. Your reference image is good but I think you're focusing too much on the design's original eyes. It's more important to focus towards FFT eyes, then bridge the gap from there. Your Callo Merlose reference image particularly worked really well because the art style is extremely similar (pretty sure it's the same artist?) to FFT. But I think you have to reign it back a little here.

The ear is particularly strange, it almost looks like it's on the bottom or side of her jaw. There's no real cut off point around the jaw line for FFT ears, the side of face sort of blends into the start of the ear. The ear is also pretty small, FFT characters generally have notably sized ears. You'll just have the issue of them looking Elf-like if they're too oversized.

The face placement worked well in your first draft since the hair took up a reasonable space down the bottom of the portrait. I think since you've removed it in the recent version, it's looking a little strange being able to see a lot more of her body. I think it'd be best to add the front hair back in or move her whole face down a little bit to hide more of the body.

The hair needs work, it's just a little bit pixel-y. I guess first off would be suggesting to keep a fairly regular outline where the hair connects to the dark grey background. One of the hair strands underneath her chin doesn't have an outline at all for example, and the one to the direct left of that hair strand has an irregular outline. It's kind of hard to go into anymore detail with hair since it's weird to explain but just try and sample the best references you can from existing portraits.

Colour wise, all I can really suggest is to start with FFT Vanilla colours and work them towards the original design rather than the other way.

Hope that helps somewhat, good luck! 

Valkirst

Quote from: Twinees on May 10, 2019, 06:03:26 pm
Hey Valkirst, Elric asked me to come out of retirement to take a quick look at some of your work, so I hope it's okay if I do a little bit of critique. Glad you liked my Lamia/Snake lady design btw.

Your very first draft is honestly probably better than the others/most recent, and I'll try and help pinpoint why.
If you take a look at the chin and neck for example, in each iteration her neck looks like it's building up a bit of gunk. Your first draft has a clean chin and jaw line, though it does need a slight bit more chin to neck shadow. It looks like you've tried to do that on subsequent updates, but you've gone a little overboard with it. The front of the chin has a similar issue where you've built on the area too much. A sharper and a less gradated version would work better here. The weird reflection around the side of the face and on the shoulder should go too.

Keep experimenting with the eyes and colours, I'd personally prefer if they were pushed further towards Vanilla though. Your reference image is good but I think you're focusing too much on the design's original eyes. It's more important to focus towards FFT eyes, then bridge the gap from there. Your Callo Merlose reference image particularly worked really well because the art style is extremely similar (pretty sure it's the same artist?) to FFT. But I think you have to reign it back a little here.

The ear is particularly strange, it almost looks like it's on the bottom or side of her jaw. There's no real cut off point around the jaw line for FFT ears, the side of face sort of blends into the start of the ear. The ear is also pretty small, FFT characters generally have notably sized ears. You'll just have the issue of them looking Elf-like if they're too oversized.

The face placement worked well in your first draft since the hair took up a reasonable space down the bottom of the portrait. I think since you've removed it in the recent version, it's looking a little strange being able to see a lot more of her body. I think it'd be best to add the front hair back in or move her whole face down a little bit to hide more of the body.

The hair needs work, it's just a little bit pixel-y. I guess first off would be suggesting to keep a fairly regular outline where the hair connects to the dark grey background. One of the hair strands underneath her chin doesn't have an outline at all for example, and the one to the direct left of that hair strand has an irregular outline. It's kind of hard to go into anymore detail with hair since it's weird to explain but just try and sample the best references you can from existing portraits.

Colour wise, all I can really suggest is to start with FFT Vanilla colours and work them towards the original design rather than the other way.

Hope that helps somewhat, good luck!

Holy heck, Twinees! Thank you so much for taking the time I had just come on to post an updated version which dealt a little bit with what you said. So this is pre-your great advice, the jawline had been bothering me and since you pointed out, even more, it's more pronounced how bad it is lol. The thing is is that I made some of her body lines sharper but I didn't apply that to the face. You're right though when it came to the eye I was really trying to be more faithful to the art style than to FFT and that's a little backwards. I will definitely take your advice about repositioning the whole image downward a little because I agree it's a little awkward. Thank you for the advice on Merlose as well and you're right it's actually the same artist Akihiko Yoshida, I'm gonna get on it as well. Thank you again for taking the time like I said. Your custom sprites were always an inspiration.

Completed Sprites

Valkirst

First of all, I want to thank Elric for getting Twinnies for helping out. I meant to say that before and I meant to. Aaaaannd yeah my early portraits were derp incarnate 😅

So here are two versions taking into consideration what he said... hopefully lol

The hairline needs work

aaannnd update new TT sprite
Completed Sprites