• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:04:35 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Chrono Compendium hacking projects go down

Started by FFMaster, May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am

FaustWolf

May 13, 2009, 03:43:28 am #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
QuoteI recall something you or someone else wrote in the romhacking.net thread that you guys got through to SE Legal and confirmed it's genuine. But that's it? There was hints that there was more to the conversation than that, but no one has stated what was said specifically. Any chance you could enlighten us of this?

This is going to sound soooo ridiculous, but the admin who got through to SE legal was told not to discuss their conversation with others. We're hoping for some kind of official statement from SE though, so that people can have solid proof. Hugely sorry for now, but I'm not currently at liberty to divulge more than that.

In any case, looks like SE bit off more than they could chew with this one. It's literally everywhere now.

To clear up some misconceptions that have been floating around in the meantime, you can take a look here:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/ ... pic=7437.0

tithin

May 13, 2009, 04:48:14 am #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
@Faustwolf

Quote from: "FaustWolf"This is going to sound soooo ridiculous, but the admin who got through to SE legal was told not to discuss their conversation with others. We're hoping for some kind of official statement from SE though, so that people can have solid proof. Hugely sorry for now, but I'm not currently at liberty to divulge more than that.

You seem to be everywhere on the net dispelling rumours of this. Thanks for your dilligence at least. Be sure to let us know how it comes along.

QuoteIn any case, looks like SE bit off more than they could chew with this one. It's literally everywhere now.

I am not surprised. IPS patches have long been a staple of the romhacking community and very very very few romhacks have been slapped with a C&D (this is the only one that I'm aware of in truth). It sets a bad precedent, so I don't know how SE hoped to keep this swept under the carpet. Especially considering the scale and completion of the project.

In the interim, I'm gonna send you a PM :3

@Kuraudo

QuoteOnce again, not the principle I am arguing. The "feel" is merely what I think CC opinion should be if hypothetically Square did want it. My argument is that Square should at least honestly evaluate CC effort to see if they'd like it. If they are shutting down CC's production for money-grubbing issues, logically, they should evaluate that production for the same reason: money. I know this is contingent upon Square using logic, but maybe they already have looked at it and deemed it unworthy of thier time. If so, rock on. If not, suck it, Square.

I will be blunt seeing as you don't seem to be grasping my point.

Your opinion in regards to Square Enix's course of action is worthless. They have made their position clear. Perhaps they do not wish to pursue having an official release for concerns of quality? Perhaps they do not wish to further confuse the storyline? Perhaps they simply do not want any fan sequel to be done period?

Money is not always the underlying issue with these things, and you should stop thinking purely in monetary values as the reason for this being squished.

@Faustwolf

re; above. Don't take what I'm saying as a slight against the project, I don't know if you were directly involved or what have you, but you certainly seem to have turned into the spokesman for it.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

TRC

May 13, 2009, 10:20:50 am #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by TRC
Man this is some bullshit, fuck Square Enix. They wonder why people pirate their shit, fucking assholes don't deserve our money. Sending out C&Ds over a fuckin 15 year old video game. When was the last time they made any money off Chrono Trigger cartridges???

philsov

May 13, 2009, 10:31:29 am #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteWhen was the last time they made any money off Chrono Trigger cartridges???

Chrono Trigger DS, which joins the now vast family of ports which offer so little extra but still sell better than many original games.

>_>
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

TRC

May 13, 2009, 10:38:19 am #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by TRC
*Super Nintendo Chrono Trigger cartridges >_>

But anyways, after actually looking at the C&D, I do have to say it is worded rather suspiciously...

Kaijyuu

May 13, 2009, 11:57:28 am #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "TRC"*Super Nintendo Chrono Trigger cartridges >_>
"Why would I buy it on the DS when I can already play the rom on my psp's emulator?"

Not the greatest excuse (fanboys will buy anything that's re-released), but hey.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

May 13, 2009, 12:19:46 pm #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
... Who owns a fucking SNES anymore? How the fuck can it affect the DS' sales.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Oblivion

May 13, 2009, 12:26:37 pm #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Zodiac"... Who owns a fucking SNES anymore? How the fuck can it affect the DS' sales.

This.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Dome

May 13, 2009, 12:28:22 pm #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Zodiac"... Who owns a fucking SNES anymore? How the fuck can it affect the DS' sales.
Me ^_^
Quote from: "Zodiac"How the fuck can it affect the DS' sales.
I Completely agree
Btw I'm so sad that they shutted down the project...
They can do it because of the copyright, but I think they should have taken this in a different way...
They could take some idea and make more money with very little work IMO

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Archael

May 13, 2009, 12:33:39 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I think this whole ordeal is Magitek in disguise.

Dome

May 13, 2009, 12:41:58 pm #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Voldemort"I think this whole ordeal is Magitek in disguise.
I will bypass the wordfilter because now it's needed a
xD

Asmo X

May 13, 2009, 12:50:17 pm #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X

From what I gather it's pretty much the same game.

Dome

May 13, 2009, 12:51:18 pm #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Asmo X"

From what I gather it's pretty much the same game.
Yes, they only added the monster arena like in DQ8 and an extra boss (And an extra ending)

FaustWolf

May 13, 2009, 01:12:10 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
Much agreed that the C&D was poorly worded. However, we do hope for communication from Square Enix soon. Like an official response to the uproar. Which would make the situation, well...official, finally.

Oblivion

May 13, 2009, 01:29:39 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20

lol.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 13, 2009, 01:37:49 pm #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "tithin"I will be blunt seeing as you don't seem to be grasping my point.

Your opinion in regards to Square Enix's course of action is worthless. They have made their position clear. Perhaps they do not wish to pursue having an official release for concerns of quality? Perhaps they do not wish to further confuse the storyline? Perhaps they simply do not want any fan sequel to be done period?

Money is not always the underlying issue with these things, and you should stop thinking purely in monetary values as the reason for this being squished.

Quote from: "Me"If they are shutting down CC's production for money
My statement allowed for other reasons beside money; if they are shutting it down for qualities sake, they should evaluate it for quality.  A,nd as I said, maybe Square has evaluated the game.  Maybe they had a few forumgoers and such checking CC out and deemed it not worthy of thier time.

You keep saying that it doesn't matter what I think Square should do.  I know this.  But that does not mean that I cannot express what it would behoove them to do.  To squash creativity and fans at the same time without even evaluating the situation for possible gain is unwise.

I am grasping your point, but you continue elicit things that I am not saying, and in return, I have to clarify.  And I am not enjoying clarifying because I feel like I'm just arguing with someone who wants to be right and win.

KazeKasano

May 13, 2009, 02:33:07 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano

Mine is still very much intact, and very much loved.
Many people still have a SNES.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

LastingDawn

May 13, 2009, 03:06:29 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "ehrgeiz20"

lol.

I don't mean to "shadow mod" but this is part of the reason the suggestion to make Spam and General into one comes up, please, make sure your posts at least have a reason, that post there is unacceptable in such a serious discussion as this. Remember this is General not Spam.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 13, 2009, 04:24:44 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Quote from: "Kaijyuu""Why would I buy it on the DS when I can already play it on my Super Nintendo or PSX consoles?"

Fix'd.

If you want to be a dick to square, find every Chrono Trigger SNES Cartridge and PSOne Disk and sell it on E-bay, Amazon, or Craigslist for the cost of shipping on the day before the DS game is going to be released.  Except your own, of course.

Kaijyuu

May 13, 2009, 04:47:53 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "death is the road to awe"
Quote from: "Kaijyuu""Why would I buy it on the DS when I can already play it on my Super Nintendo or PSX consoles?"

Fix'd.
Neither of those are handheld systems. Which is the biggest reason to buy it over the SNES, and second biggest over PSX (lag being 1).