• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:51:57 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

Choto

March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:33:56 pm by Choto
 Credit to Ryu for the original base sprite that was awesome to start with, and Smash for a recolored version.

Current Progress:

Panda_Tar

Good looking thing. If I was ever to use this, would promptly get rid of the tree-like monsters to begin with. Flans as much more FF-like than those trees.

Well done! :)
  • Modding version: PSX
Always interpreting the foul side of things makes you fouler still.

3lric

This is great Choto, i hope someone finishes it  :mrgreen:

Jon

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Choto

March 12, 2012, 08:55:10 pm #4 Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:32:41 pm by Choto
Well it is one pose, but once its refined to a satisfactory level i'll just copy paste it into other poses... I feel like that's not an overwhelming task. Those sites will serve as a decent reference though, thanks!

I mostly posted it to get suggestions from those with a much more talented eye for art, mostly because i dont want to go making other poses and then have to refine ALL of them. If anybody else wants to take a crack at it, can't hurt to have more examples.

Here's how he looks in game:

Eternal

Big Flan is big. I feel it should be smaller, myself.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Choto

I think I agree Et, Is there an easy way to do resizing in graphicsgale aside from the ol' click and drag?

Also, I tried doing a little bit of recoloring to fill the thing in with some color, while trying to retain the dark patches on the bottom a little bit... thoughts?

GeneralStrife

There was a smaller flan laying around somewhere long ago, more complete too. could have been ripped from FFTA though.

Mobius

Quote from: Choto on March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm
Lets finish this damned thing because its an awesome start. Here is where it was left off, I think Ryu made the original and then Smash offered a refined version, so I took his and messed around with it for a bit. Couldn't come up with anything that looked better in the end, so i'm posting it here for suggestions. Credit to Ryu and Smash, this is pretty much all their work:

Tasty.

Et, there could be two versions, big and small. Remember FFXII?
Or maybe even boss sized.

Anyone know or has a vid on how this idle should look?
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Lijj

March 13, 2012, 01:09:40 am #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:18:48 am by Lijj
If you finish this you are a hero.\o/
I like the shading on it.
I think the size is good as it is; it'll look bad if you resized it so you'll have re work it entirely if you shrink it down.

Jon

Much too big...

that's all I got to say.

Kagebunji

Nope, IMO this big sized flan looks badass. Plus it will give more place to add details to various frames, while a small frame would make it hard to put any details. Big flan, big win. I will have to make my Tortoises as big one day, too.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Pride

I completely agree with Kage about BIG flan
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Tea

Attached is a small preview I made using paint's resize and copy/paste tools of two smaller flans, and one bigger. I think the second one from the right is the most appropriate for a normal flan, but the original size looks more threatening. I'm imagening two smaller flans get spawned when the bigger one is defeated myself, and so forth.

Choto

March 14, 2012, 04:44:16 pm #14 Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:49:25 pm by Choto
That's a pretty neat comparison Tea :P

As for right now, I'm gonna continue with it the size it is... because its easy and I wont have to worry about resizing. I added another shade slightly less than the shiny brightest shade to give it a little more dimension, seems to be working well... thoughts?

I love how happy he looks ^_^

Lijj

Choto

March 14, 2012, 11:44:25 pm #16 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:18:48 am by Choto
K, I think i've settled on a coloration that is moderately complete, so on to poses!

Flan can now charge, cast, be damaged, and be critical

I'll keep a reference spritesheet up on the main post and add frames as I make them.

Any ideas for a good evade frame for a Flan? The bottom left small frame is what i was messing around with and didn't complete. I was thinking kinda like the bomb's smirk.. idk what else though. Anyway, here's the latest:

GeneralStrife

Yeah, A smirk with eyes closing would be good. Shouldn't be too hard either.

Atma

Sweet!  I was just thinking that FFT could use a flan monster and then I found ur work.  Super happy that you working on it.  Good luck, can't wait to see this finished.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Jon

You can have the attack frame and evade frame the same- have the flan stick his tongue out! :P