• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:02:22 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Is there a mod that makes it so special characters change outfits

Started by Foreman, September 26, 2022, 02:51:06 pm

Foreman

Basically I want a way to make the main characters have their outfits change when they change their job so Marche and Montblanc change clothes like the generic characters. I've tried to do it myself but I couldn't make sense of the tile editor
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Foreman

FlamingZelda

There isn't a way to do this currently. If you were to remove the special character status from march and montblanc when they're loaded into your party you'd get two vanilla units instead, but any story mission with march or montblanc would load in a separate march or montblanc with nulled stats. If you keep the special status, you keep the costume.

Leonarth

Like this?

I assume that's not what you meant, but the above is a 1 instruction change.
It is not very refined and it makes npcs with "no job" (like the barkeep) invisible, but other than that it makes the characters use the generic sprites for their jobs.

Anyway, if you mean you want several custom outfits for the characters then no tile editor is going to get that going for you. The code for it does not exist, but it would not be hard at all to implement, I simply never bothered because people are not making custom graphics for this game.

If you are down to make the graphics then stop messing with whatever tile editor you are using, switch to a regular image editor (I recommend Usenti, it was made with the GBA in mind) and simply edit the dumped graphics, respecting the palettes. If you do manage to get a set of custom clothes for the characters going then, like I said, making them work would not be hard on my end.

Here's the sprites, remember you also need to make sprites for when the character is in the water (which is a completely different sprite
ID): ffta_sprites.zip

PillsburyJoeBoy

I'd like to ask a question along these lines. Moreso just how to modify the default pallet used for special characters.
Ex: The default Marche in your party using the red or yellow pallet instead of the blue.
You see a pimp's love is very different from that of a square

Leonarth

Quote from: PillsburyJoeBoy on December 11, 2022, 10:03:44 pmI'd like to ask a question along these lines. Moreso just how to modify the default pallet used for special characters.
Ex: The default Marche in your party using the red or yellow pallet instead of the blue.
You can modify this by altering the table at 0x5273D8
The structure of the table is like this:
+0x00 Name ID
+0x01 Default job or something (it's hard to explain)
+0x02 Job ID
+0x03 Secondary job ID (for the second action command)
+0x04 Battle sprite ID
+0x06 Submerged battle sprite ID
+0x08 Battle sprite palette ID <- this is what you are asking about
+0x09 Extra palette to load (the special palettes totemas use)
+0x0A Unused?
+0x0B Portrait ID
+0x0C Portrait Palette ID
+0x0D Unused?

For example, let's say you wanted Montblanc to use the blue palette.
We take the character ID, 0x08, and multiply it by the size of an entry in the table, 0x0E: 0x8 * 0xE = 0x70.
We take the base address and add our result: 0x5273D8 + 0x70 = 0x527448.
We want to change the "Battle sprite palette ID" so we add 8 to that: 0x527448 + 0x8 = 0x527450.
So you only need to change the byte at 0x527450, and Montblanc will then use that palette ID.

There's probably a nightmare module for this, as well?

rrs_kai

Quote from: Leonarth on November 01, 2022, 04:42:32 amIf you do manage to get a set of custom clothes for the characters going then, like I said, making them work would not be hard on my end.

Here's the sprites, remember you also need to make sprites for when the character is in the water (which is a completely different sprite ID)
I took your sprites and made a Summoner repal with blue pants. Could you insert it?
Is the process easy?