• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:34:54 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

War of the Lions Tweak v2.52

Started by Tzepish, November 29, 2022, 02:53:23 am

Jlandejr

Hello! Just wanted to say I really, really appreciate the mod and your work on it. I never got to experience WotL originally because of the slowdown, and every time I tried to get it to work with a patch I was never able to. I decided to try it again as I recently got a Steam Deck, and your QoL improvements have made the game feel so fresh, thank you!!

I did have a question - is there an easy way to see the changes that were made? I tried to look through the readme, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I'm just curious where some of the rendezvous items are, and noticed that Nelveska has very different items. Anyways, thanks in advance!
  • Modding version: WotL

Remigod

August 07, 2023, 01:42:52 pm #61 Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:38:31 pm by Remigod
Cant get past first lucavi boss, any tips ?

Edit: the degenerator ? Patched ?

TEXASBOLD

August 21, 2023, 04:30:35 pm #62 Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:54:41 am by TEXASBOLD
Hi Tzepish,

First off, just want to say I love this mod!!  Absolutely incredible work!  I read through the entire readme doc and was truly impressed with all the gameplay and balance changes you've implemented.  Outstanding stuff.

Question for you.  After starting my playthrough, I decided to install some of the optional mods, namely:

1) Smart Encounters
2) Encounter Upscaling
3) Undead Always Reanimate

Encounter Upscaling is working great - no issues!  However, Smart Encounters doesn't seem to work at all for me.  I'm still getting into random battles (post-patch) even though I am not directly clicking on the "green" map-points (i.e. selecting the point beyond the random battle location).  Sometimes, when I do click directly on them, a battle will not initiate.  Ultimately, the game is behaving as though I didn't patch this in at all.  I tried re-patching a fresh ISO from scratch and the issue still persists.  Do you have any ideas as to what may be causing this?  Appreciate your guidance!  Thanks!

***UPDATE***
I realized I was loading emulator save-states from before that patch was added.  Loading a "save file" from the "memory card" within the game (or starting a new game post-patch) has now resolved the issue.  Thanks!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Tzepish

Quote from: Jlandejr on July 19, 2023, 11:48:25 pmI did have a question - is there an easy way to see the changes that were made? I tried to look through the readme, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I'm just curious where some of the rendezvous items are, and noticed that Nelveska has very different items. Anyways, thanks in advance!

There's a TON of documentation included so I don't blame anyone at all that doesn't find what they are looking for in there. I certainly don't expect everyone to read every word of it.

In the readme, Section E is the list of changes. Section F is the same list but with commentary and details for each change. You can also check the Spoilers folder, which has several files that detail things like where all the new treasure hunter pickups are!
  • Discord username: Tzepish

Tzepish

Quote from: Crouching_Liger on July 19, 2023, 03:16:03 amIf I patch my rom now, will I be able to continue with my save or will I have to start a new a game?

If you are before Chapter 4, then the only issue you will see is your lists of purchased skills will change. This is because I reordered some of the skill lists, so the skills you purchased before may coincide with different skills on the list.

This goes for equipped skills too. For example, I reused JP Boost's slot for the new Combat Casting ability, so anyone who had JP Boost equipped will now have Combat Casting equipped, even if they haven't learned it yet. Just unequip the skill if you find yourself in that situation.

If you HAVE started chapter 4, you may not be able to gain all the multiplayer items and missables, because you might have already collected the treasure hunter tiles or sidequest rewards that changed.

silenthill27

I don't post here very often, and I'm the type of person who prefers mods that drastically change balance, or introduce cool new sprites to amuse my goblin brain, and certainly never war of the of the lions version...but this mod is something else.

I'm coming up on chapter 3 and I've been having a great time. I probably play through tactics twice a year or so and like to try a different mod each time, I've never felt like a -this is the definitive version- but this mod comes really really close for my picky ass. Balance is really on point from chapter 2 on, and earlier access to the jobs that you want to get to play is great.

More then anything else, holy guacamole the documentation for this mod is out of this world. So detailed and well organized and presented. The mod author must do something like this for a living because it just looks so...professional.

Do yourself a favor and check this mod out. And anyone looking to build mods in the future...seriously consider using this as your base. Amazing stuff.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Tzepish

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I love hearing that you like the mod so much.

Quote from: silenthill27 on September 20, 2023, 02:56:20 pmThe mod author must do something like this for a living because it just looks so...professional.

(Yes I do :-) )

Keelhaul Pete

September 26, 2023, 06:06:27 pm #67 Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 02:47:44 am by Keelhaul Pete Reason: Realized my mistake
Thanks for all the work you put into this mod, it's magnificent!

I didn't realize Poach needed to be assigned in order for the Poacher's Den to work. 🙃

Really enjoying this playthrough and all the balance changes!

Tzepish

Quote from: Keelhaul Pete on September 26, 2023, 06:06:27 pmI didn't realize Poach needed to be assigned in order for the Poacher's Den to work. 🙃

It won't be required after the next release :-)

bugnomore

Quote from: Tzepish on September 29, 2023, 03:01:55 pmIt won't be required after the next release :-)

Thank you for your patch, all the QOL are epic.
Do you plan on fixing the sounds to be on par with PSX?
And the biggest problem for me a native PSX player is the old English script of the PSP version is a very big headache, it would be fantastic if we could optionally switch to PSX script.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Tzepish

Quote from: bugnomore on October 07, 2023, 07:26:18 amThank you for your patch, all the QOL are epic.
Do you plan on fixing the sounds to be on par with PSX?
And the biggest problem for me a native PSX player is the old English script of the PSP version is a very big headache, it would be fantastic if we could optionally switch to PSX script.

I'd love to fix the sounds, but even the very top FFT hackers don't have a plan of action for this, and it'd probably take emulator modifications for it to even be possible, I'm afraid.

As for the script, it'd be a massive undertaking, and I think I'm more likely to do a WOTL Tweak for PS1 than to port the PS1 script to PSP.

IcePenguin

Hello Tzepish,

I recently discovered your mod and love what you've done with it. Very much so! I'll be playing this version from now on, haha. All the changes feel natural, it's fantastic! You are amazing for the years of hard work you put into making this. Thank you thank you!

There's a small bug I'd like to report, but not sure if it's unique to me since I haven't seen any reports about it. The iso I'm using matches the checksums you recommended, and I'm using the latest ppsspp on windows.  In that regard, everything is up-to-date.  Is this perhaps a known bug or something wrong on my end?

It's a minor graphical bug during combat but regularly occurring. The dark backdrop behind character profile pictures, HP MP CT, predicted damage and % chance, etc., quickly flashes on the screen after the ability animation finishes. Only the dark backdrop flashes, and it seems to only happen after using abilities that were affected by the PSP slowdown.

I did some experimenting with it. Applying the slowdown fix using FFTorgASM (v.497) on your patched iso fixes it, but I have no idea if it conflicts with anything else from your mod.

Anyway, that's all from me! I hope the information is helpful towards understand the bug.

This is the dark backdrop I'm referring to: (screenshot found using google)

Tzepish

Interesting. I haven't seen that myself, but it's good to hear that fixing the slowdowns with FFTorgASM fixes it, because I'm switching from Valhalla's version to FFTorgASM's version for the next release of WOTL Tweak. So whatever this is, maybe it'll just go away!

IcePenguin

That's great to hear, let's hope! What plans do you have for the next update? Since playing further, I have a question and some thoughts for you about a few things. The experience has been great so far, all the changes are welcomed improvements!

I'm currently at the battle when the party saves Boco in the woods. Is it intended that Boco can't be controlled? It's not a huge deal, but just curious about it since guest characters are player-controlled now.

This next one is a big request, but it's something I've always felt would improve party management. Have you thought about implementing a manual "sort unit" feature? (being able to change unit number) Having a way to sort them manually, without having to hire generics to reserve specific numbered positions, would be incredible! What do you think? I just had to get the idea out there, and to see what you think about it. I'll accept either way.  :p

Thank you again, Tzepish!

JioCrestfall

almost finished with the main game and loved the journey all throughout but i gotta ask; are you going to modify the multiplayer battles too?

also, no pressure but imma be watching this like a hawk waiting for the easier to mod version of this mod
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Tzepish

Quote from: IcePenguin on October 21, 2023, 02:13:09 pmI'm currently at the battle when the party saves Boco in the woods. Is it intended that Boco can't be controlled? It's not a huge deal, but just curious about it since guest characters are player-controlled now.

I've gone back and forth on Boco being controlled. It always felt weird to me when I had it turned on. I think because he's a monster, and he feels more like a "third faction" at that point, that it feels more appropriate to me that he's still AI controlled.

I realize there are similar arguments for Argath's first fight, but my fear was players would think the feature wasn't working if he wasn't controllable.

Quote from: IcePenguin on October 21, 2023, 02:13:09 pmHave you thought about implementing a manual "sort unit" feature? (being able to change unit number) Having a way to sort them manually, without having to hire generics to reserve specific numbered positions, would be incredible!

I would love to do this, and in fact Valhalla comes with a script that does this, but it's buggy. I've been slowly making my way through the Valhalla ASM to decipher it so I can write my own versions or fix them, so this is on my list, but not for the near future.

Tzepish

Quote from: JioCrestfall on October 22, 2023, 10:44:08 amalmost finished with the main game and loved the journey all throughout but i gotta ask; are you going to modify the multiplayer battles too?

I have no plans for changing those battles, but heck, you never know. I might get bored some day (or someone may give me a compelling reason to make changes there?)

IcePenguin

Quote from: Tzepish on October 22, 2023, 08:58:20 pmI've gone back and forth on Boco being controlled. It always felt weird to me when I had it turned on. I think because he's a monster, and he feels more like a "third faction" at that point, that it feels more appropriate to me that he's still AI controlled.

I realize there are similar arguments for Argath's first fight, but my fear was players would think the feature wasn't working if he wasn't controllable.

I would love to do this, and in fact Valhalla comes with a script that does this, but it's buggy. I've been slowly making my way through the Valhalla ASM to decipher it so I can write my own versions or fix them, so this is on my list, but not for the near future.

Your logic is sound in regard to Boco. A human unit makes sense to be player-controlled with monster units still acting on their own. The fact that you put thought into it makes me appreciate it more. This gives me an interesting idea. Orators being able to give player control for monsters.  :p

I'm glad the manual "sort unit" is something you are interested in. When it happens, it happens. It's no trouble. At least someone has started it despite it being buggy. That's great news! Hopefully, disassembling their code goes smoothly and it's not too complex. It does seem like it would be a huge undertaking, though, so if you do ever get around to it I wish you luck!

Quote from: Tzepish on October 22, 2023, 08:59:15 pmI have no plans for changing those battles, but heck, you never know. I might get bored some day (or someone may give me a compelling reason to make changes there?)

Maybe hunts? This would only be compelling depending on how much you yourself enjoyed hunts in other Ivalice based FF games. Quick, single player missions where you hunt a specific monster (powered up version) in a specific location. As for rewards, maybe a 100% chance to get the rare poached item for that monster. When I first played War of the Lions back on PSP, my first thought when I saw "Start a Mission" and "View Available Missions" in the Tavern was hunts. I was so excited and then immediately disappointed by it being locked behind multiplayer. Haha.

It doesn't need to be complicated. Something to do besides the main story would be a welcomed addition in my opinion. Helping out the local villages of Ivalice with their monster problems sounds like the perfect task for Ramza and friends.

IcePenguin

I finished the game! Took about 47 hours. Overall, it was a huge improvement to the original game, and this will definitely be my go-to version in future. Excellent work you've done!   ;)

I'm gonna talk about a few things in the mod, things that stood out (good or bad), because I loved the mod so much I just want to talk about it, haha. There are a few things throughout the game that I feel could be improved. Nothing too serious, though. It's a short list, as nearly everything you have done was perfect! This mod breathed new life into the game, while staying faithful to the original game.

Excellent:

• I love all the changes you've made to the jobs/requirements/skills. Combining a lot of the passive skills was a great idea, and it made me use them more often! (e.g. Armor + Shield and Bow + Crossbow)
  • Reducing the grinding was a big improvement. Especially for Chemist! Also, I feel enemies used items a whole lot more during the game as a result. Very cool!
  • Ramza's default job being renamed was a nice touch. Good choice and job descriptions!
  • Discovering that Ribbon on the rooftop was brilliant! I got a good rush from that, and it took me quite a while to complete the battle while successfully collecting it. Good times!

Suggestions:

• After Agrias and Ovelia leave the party at Lionel Castle in Ch2, Agrias remains in party as a guest. (she should be with Ovelia)
  • Dragoon should have innate Ignore Elevation. The essential nature of a Dragoon is to ignore it.
  • Arithmetician's Soulbind should be a Dark Knight ability, it just makes more sense that way.
  • In Terminus (Midlight's Deep), it was quite disappointing to find only Elixirs. The whole dungeon was such a thrill finding all this incredible new loot, just to flatline at the very end. Maybe put 4 of the best items from lower sections of Midlight's Deep in Terminus? Stuff like: Dhanusha, Ribbon, Chaos Blade, Zodiac Spear? I was hoping for a 3rd Ribbon, heh. :p
  • I like that you moved Genji Gear. Stealing from Elmdore was too soon for such good equipment. However, I didn't like that it was just free as a battle reward during the Aliste sidequest. Perhaps make us steal it from Aliste now? It took effort to steal it from Elmdore, but it felt very satisfying!
  • Orlandeau was nerfed a little too much. I see what you were going for, so other characters didn't become obsolete, but I feel he was lacking too much. Not really sure how you could improve it, though. Maybe add a couple of the Dark Knight abilities?
  • Honestly, that's all for suggestions. Everything else felt natural and much improved over the original!

Request:
  • Would you be willing to add an optional patch that changes all Treasure Find locations in every map? This is more a personal request as the original locations are just too well known. Being able to hunt for them without any idea where they are would be super fun and definitely more exciting!
  • Optional patch to remove monster breeding, and add breed-only monsters to rare random encounters.

Thanks again, Tzepish! Let me know what you think. :)

Tzepish

Quote from: IcePenguin on October 26, 2023, 01:59:01 amSuggestions:
Request:

Great minds think alike my friend - I've already done some of these suggestions. Per-suggestion replies below:

1 re: Agrias leaving the party - It's intentional that she stays on the formation screen because one of my other fixes (Guest characters are no longer "reset" when they join you for real) caused a new problem: If you left Agrias with subpar equipment (or nothing), then you may not be able to win the battle when she returns (since you fail if she's KO'd). Keeping her on the formation screen allows you to tweak her equipment if you encounter this situation (this is also why I keep Rapha on the screen before her rooftop battle).

2 re: Dragoon innate Ignore Elevation - Interesting idea. I actually think it makes less since in the next version though because of another change I made. The upcoming next version of WOTL Tweak revamps Dragoons so that their Jump attack is improved by their Jump score, so they actually have a reason to use the Jump+ abilities instead of Ignore Elevation. I actually like that the player has to make a choice now. (If I hadn't made this change, I'd agree with you that they should have Ignore Elevation innate, because it's a no-brainer)

3 re: Moving Soulbind to Dark Knight - it does make a lot of sense, because it's a "play with my HP" ability, so there's interesting gameplay potential. Hmmm. I already made a change to Soulbind because "halve all my damage" is pretty overpowered, so in the next release it no longer reduces your own damage (but still deals half back to your attacker). This makes it less interesting for the Dark Knight after all. I'll have to think on this. I think your suggestion here has more potential than my nerf, but it's still going to have a problem with balance.

4 re: Only Elixirs at the bottom of Midlight's Deep - this is intentional because I felt it was a bummer to get the best equipment on that floor but have nothing left to conquer with it. So now that you can have everything by the end of floor 9, all that's left is using it all against the final uber boss. I _could_ replace it with rare but not unique equipment though (like Ribbon, or maybe the four perfumes), to make it more satisfying.

5 re: Genji Gear as a sidequest reward - your complaint is that it's "free" after the Aliste quest, but from my perspective this isn't free - you need to discover and complete the side quest! It's a super late quest, and the genji armor just makes a ton of storyline sense (and mechanical sense) to be awarded here. I don't intend to make anything unique a required Steal, because then it becomes "missable" equipment, which is against one of the goals of the mod (no missable equipment or spells).

7 re: Orlandeau nerfs - I agree, I did go a bit too far, and this isn't the first time I've received this feedback. I'm gonna give him a slight boost in stats. Note though that he now starts with Dark Knight levels, and he has the best HP by far, so he can become an absolute killing machine (again) with Vehemence equipped while taking on not much risk.

8 re: Optional patch for changing treasure hunter tiles - Cool idea, but this is not easy at all to do. Since these locations are changed in FFTPatcher, I'd have to maintain two versions of the patch, updating and testing them both for every change. I actually used to do this with the Encounter Unscaling change until I found a way to do it with ASM, and I don't want to go back to that misery :-)

9 re: Optional patch to remove monster breeding - already done. I guess I forgot that there are breed-only monsters. I did add the three flavors of Pig to rare battles at Dorvaulder Marsh... if there are other breed-only monsters, I'll make sure to add them somewhere!

10 re: "Hunts" - I would absolutely love to make the Rendezvous missions into single player "hunts". Your thinking is completely aligned with mine. It's just a programming challenge and I've only scratched the surface on the multiplayer code.