• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:19:54 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

silentkaster

Speaking of bugs, the decap proc from the battle axe also was evaded in a recent CT5Holy video. That would have to be addressed too since it's supposed to be unevadable (just the proc itself.)
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

Yea bugs seems to be unpredictable. At least with WKW's explanation in geomancy damage based on brave makes some amount of sense

Hopefully FFM (or anyone else for that matter) can iron out the bugs. Or use the geomancy formula brave as part of the new patch so that way if you want full on elemental damage you go for high brave and elemental boosting and evened out stats
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Kurosabes

Just found and watched the Decap thing, I'll explain. (You can watch it here too if you want)

Decap formula is set to Dmg_(85)% Hit_F(MA+255)%

Notice the Faith here. In this case, both the caster and target had Innocent, so their Faith was set to 0. That dramatically lowered the odds of Decap landing (31%). If only one of them had Innocent, the odds would still be 68% which is really low when it's supposed to be over 255%.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Andrew

I never would have imagined that it uses Faith in its formula.  Thanks for clearing this up, W. K. Wiegraf!

dw6561

Hey guys, I tested Counter Flood. I tested with a team of warpath Archers vs. Geomancers with Counter Flood and Iron Boots, on the map Inside of Limberry Castle. I figured that the type of geomancy doesn't matter because they all use the same formula, so I tested with Demon Fire instead. Here's what I found:

CF always did the same damage to the Archers no matter what their brave was, and CF did the same as normal Geomancy.

Both CF and normal Geomancy didn't act any differently against targets with Defense Up/Cherche, as expected.

Zodiac Compatibility is completely irrelevant since Reks's Chemist had neutral compat with both the geomancer and the mime.

In other words, it's probably a bug. Was frameskip being used by any chance? It might have skipped a calculation or check on the first turn. Or it could just be ePSXe doing it's weirdness.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Barren

October 19, 2015, 04:31:17 am #4466 Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:05:50 am by Barren
Just added a new team "Death Parade" TrueLight, if you would do the honors :D You know why I called my team Death Parade if you watch the anime

Made edits to the team to make it a bit more formidable
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Heroebal

October 19, 2015, 12:17:23 pm #4467 Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:24:01 pm by Heroebal
That was actually a pretty cool nasty/cool set up Reks. Luckily, the bards were able to target more than just the thief unit in the other two rounds too keep the thief in check somewhat enough for a win.

Congrats and good job on your first video recording Andrew!!!

Andrew

Thanks, Heroebal!  I'll be taking requests, everyone, so feel free to post them in this thread.  I'll be recording another match momentarily.

Mudvayne

:oops: Wouldn't mind seeing my newest team 'Nothin' Special' in action. Opponent is up to you.

Heroebal

That was some pretty nice damaging throwing knives too.

Mud I think you meant to have your third unit as a squire not geomancer. He's got heal/wish as first set of abilities.

silentkaster

If you're still doing matches, I just revamped Ride to Hell and would love to see them!!

Heroebal

Would like to see my newest team action "meat bone slash plus.....for the win!!!"

I'll be happy if they get off just one or two meat bone's in.

I think I'll check out the product WKW mentioned sometime. Thanks for putting the videos up.

dw6561

Well, that was full of item spam. Target definitely lived up to his name. Also, it was pretty funny when the time mage (who had projectile guard) stepped out in front of the squire to block the 100% shot from the archer on round 2. Was that just a coincidence?
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

silentkaster

I don't think it was a coincidence. While the AI isn't generally aware of reaction abilities, it is somewhat aware of evasion. Thus, the AI is more reluctant to attack directly when a unit is defending and will attack from side/back when able to do so. Because she knew she could probably be more apt to evade than the other unit, she stepped in front. I believe that's how it works in reference to that.

Heroebal

Shucks no meatbone slash  :cry:.. I think it could have happened 1 or 2 times if the reaction triggered. Nice back and forth in the first round. I thought I had lost that 2nd round too especially when my mage opted to go for rod whacks on stopped units (a high hp paladin at that) when she still had mp and faithed up death/frog spells available... :?

On a curious side note on a couple of the test runs I did with meatbone slash team on some of the longer maps like main street of Lesalia for example. A lot of the times my wizard will cast Death on one of the undead archers at the very first turn of the match, the female archers are still at full health and both teams aren't anywhere close to be able to hit each other yet.

Any reason why the AI would do that? I was thinking it was for just in case they get hit type of thing. But due to short charge, death usually goes off before the other units even get a turn.

silentkaster

October 19, 2015, 10:54:27 pm #4478 Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:02:23 pm by silentkaster
Quote from: Heroebal on October 19, 2015, 10:23:36 pm
Shucks no meatbone slash  :cry:.. I think it could have happened 1 or 2 times if the reaction triggered. Nice back and forth in the first round. I thought I had lost that 2nd round too especially when my mage opted to go for rod whacks on stopped units (a high hp paladin at that) when she still had mp and faithed up death/frog spells available... :?

On a curious side note on a couple of the test runs I did with meatbone slash team on some of the longer maps like main street of Lesalia for example. A lot of the times my wizard will cast Death on one of the undead archers at the very first turn of the match, the female archers are still at full health and both teams aren't anywhere close to be able to hit each other yet.

Any reason why the AI would do that? I was thinking it was for just in case they get hit type of thing. But due to short charge, death usually goes off before the other units even get a turn.

No meatbone slash indeed and I even had a unit with that reaction too! Unlikely on your archers since I had no ranged melee attackers, but I think there was at least once in the first round where your paladin could have triggered it on my samurai (I'd have to watch again, but I thought I counted one time it just didn't trigger. Could be wrong though.) Yeah, this team is just meant to troll and apparently does not like Stop. I think I might change the Paladin to a Monk and experiment a bit more. Stop wrecked me in Round 2 and 3...if my Chemist had gotten a successful charm in R3 I might have won but 'twas not meant to be. GG.

My only thought on that might be if you're facing a team with Lore, Wiznaibus, or something that hits from afar. We see this with Life Song, occasionally but rarely, where the AI will not use a damaging ability IF the ability's damage will be negated by Life Song. A good example would be Comet...where a Life Song will be going...a Life song + a Mimed Life Song, if it can go off twice before the unit gets a turn and after comet resolves, the AI will not use it since the damage will be almost completely negated.

So perhaps the AI is being proactive in trying to prevent the enemy from using these certain abilities? If the AI knows their enemy will get a full heal and negate all the damage done by their ability, it won't use it. Also, with Short Charge, the AI acts a bit funny on occasion (it may not recognize short charge, so it thinks that the ability will go off after instead of before an incoming attack, but this happens rarely also.)

Just throwing that out there...may not be any of that :P

Heroebal

^^That could be it, I test them again a little while ago against Headhunters in Mainstreet of Lesalia and sure enough the wizard casted death on my archer right out of the gates. I'm guessing it doesn't recognize the short charge and trying to prevent an incoming attack like you suggested. 

Yeah charm definitely turned the tide in that first round for sure.