• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:53:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Changing Formation Sprites to 16bit [solved]

Started by yamish, March 16, 2020, 01:05:45 pm

yamish

March 16, 2020, 01:05:45 pm Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:54:48 pm by yamish
Using Graphics Gale. I have snipped my formation sprites from their spritesheets.  I go to All Frames pulldown menu, select Color Depth, select 4bpp.  I click the down arrow in the palette window and select to remove unused colors.  I save.  All this is done with GG running as administrator.  I reopen the image in GG without closing GG and see it still shows 4bpp.

I go to FFTEVGRP and attempt to import the formation sprite.  I get the error message that it is not a 16 bit image.  Back to Graphics Gale and it still shows 4bpp.  Close GG and reopen it and it shows the image back at 8bpp.

Am I missing a step somewhere or doing something wrong? Anybody have any insight into this?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: riggz raggz

Nyzer

March 16, 2020, 02:00:37 pm #1 Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:38:54 pm by Nyzer
Try just importing it with Shishi and see what happens.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

yamish

Quote from: Nyzer on March 16, 2020, 02:00:37 pmTry just importing it with Shishi and see what happens.

I always thought it was fftevgrp only for formations and portraits. I'll give this a go today and report back. Thanks for the heads up.

Nyzer

Shishi has had the functionality for a while now. I just updated Celdia's topic to say that at the start.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

yamish

Shishi wouldn't open my unit.bin and i didn't see it readily in when i opened the iso.  But i resolved the issue.

So you alter the image as normal: setting it to 4bpp, no dither, type A.  Then click the down arrow by palettes and removed unused colors.  Saving this will result in the issue I am having. Rather:
Choose to export the image with these options.
Type: Multiple Files (Combined File will not work)
File Name: doesn't matter
Prefix: whatever you want to name your file
Filetype: *.bmp
Alpha Channel: output as BMP
Trim: leave this unchecked
Frame options: leave this unchecked

This results in a bmp that is not preserving the color depth of the original file

3lric

Quote from: yamish on March 17, 2020, 09:54:18 pmShishi wouldn't open my unit.bin and i didn't see it readily in when i opened the iso.  But i resolved the issue.

So you alter the image as normal: setting it to 4bpp, no dither, type A.  Then click the down arrow by palettes and removed unused colors.  Saving this will result in the issue I am having. Rather:
Choose to export the image with these options.
Type: Multiple Files (Combined File will not work)
File Name: doesn't matter
Prefix: whatever you want to name your file
Filetype: *.bmp
Alpha Channel: output as BMP
Trim: leave this unchecked
Frame options: leave this unchecked

This results in a bmp that is not preserving the color depth of the original file

.... just open the fft image in shishi, go to other images, and scroll to unit.bin
  • Modding version: PSX

yamish

Quote from: Elric on March 18, 2020, 06:51:26 pm.... just open the fft image in shishi, go to other images, and scroll to unit.bin

I tried that after shishi wouldn't open unit.bin. Did a quick scroll twice and didn't see it, then remembered I saw an export option in GG and tried that. So basically my own impatience is why shishi didn't work.