• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:26:54 pm

Question about blank effects

Started by usckitty, July 22, 2011, 10:11:25 pm

usckitty

July 22, 2011, 10:11:25 pm Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:34:49 am by usckitty
Hi, everyone. NOOB here...with a question...I know, shocking! :shock:

I read somewhere here that the 0D formula if set to cancel statuses will fail unless the target has the status in question. Is there any way to get past that so you might have a skill that heals HP and/or heals status as well? Can the 0D formula heal Dead and other statuses together? I want a skill like the FFTA Sage's Raise skill...

I noticed in FFTPATCHER that when you go to the Jobs tab, there is a check box in the status effects box right above Crystal. I was wondering if I could maybe set everyone's status to Innate or more likely Starting and then have the skill in question also cancel that status effect. Maybe then, since the status would be innate on everyone and the skill would at least try to cancel that status, it might work?

Thank you in advance.

Glain

July 23, 2011, 10:44:07 am #1 Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:45:07 am by Glain
Not sure. There's also the option of hacking formula 0D. This will only work with the PSX version; don't attempt this on the PSP version. Back up your ISO if you try this regardless, as I really haven't tested this.

You could try patching this with FFTorgASM:

<Patch name="Formula 0D can hit when status not applied">
   <Description>
      Formula 0D can hit when status not applied
   </Description>
   <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="121F68">
   </Location>
 </Patch>

Basically, that's just removing the check that says "Did the status not get applied? If so, forget it!" (From looking at the ASM, this also seemed to happen if the target was undead?)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

usckitty

July 23, 2011, 03:41:55 pm #2 Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:16:25 pm by usckitty
Thanks! I'll do some testing in the next week...I was wondering if that meant that for the offset 121F68 in Battle.Bin, I could just edit it through WindHEX by inserting in 00000000?

RandMuadDib

I -think- so but am unsure. But glain already formatted it in easy to use FFTorgASM format for you, so why would you want to?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

usckitty

Quote from: RandMuadDib on July 23, 2011, 05:20:31 pm
I -think- so but am unsure. But glain already formatted it in easy to use FFTorgASM format for you, so why would you want to?

Ahhh, good point! Thanks for the help...I'll test my idea as well, but I like Glain's formula hack...It seems much more useful...So many things I want to do, so little time!

usckitty

I tried both my idea and the formula hack and well got something very interesting...With my idea of the spell canceling the blank status effect, the chance for success was 00%...and I think I saw Guarded when the spell actually hit the targets...

with Glain's formula hack...the results were a bit different...

formerdeathcorps

July 24, 2011, 10:41:20 am #6 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:35:15 am by formerdeathcorps
1) You can't remove an innate status.
2) Raise in FFTA did not heal 50% of HP if you were alive.
3) Glain, what you coded doesn't work because the previous routine actually sets evasion and a bunch of other things to zero as well.  Here's a fix:
   <Description>
   </Description>
   <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="123D2C">
   </Location>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="121F68">
    </Location>
 </Patch>

The above should work, but there's no guarantee it won't also affect other formulas.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Pride

July 24, 2011, 10:50:42 am #7 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:55:53 am by Pride
This should work... Changes which routine the formula calls. You can apply with fftorgasm.

<Description>
   </Description>
   <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="121F60">
     ad1f060c
   </Location>
 </Patch>

Edit: Oh, fdc already beat me to another way mine won't affect other formulas for what its worth.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: Pride on July 24, 2011, 10:50:42 am
Edit: Oh, fdc already beat me to another way mine won't affect other formulas for what its worth.

No, your way of doing it is better.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Glain

Yeah, Pride's version is the best.

I was going to say, if the status proc function 0x187eb4 didn't return the proper value in r2, you may still need to remove the check that I was removing, but I think we can get away with this as is, because 0x187eb4 seems to return the hit status bit in r2 (1=hit, 0=miss), so that will feed okay into the next check and we won't skip the part of the function we need to run.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

usckitty

July 24, 2011, 04:29:38 pm #10 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:29:59 pm by usckitty
I'll test them and post screenshots...Thanks, everyone!  :D

usckitty

July 24, 2011, 05:40:09 pm #11 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:40:30 pm by usckitty
Pride's ASM Hack works!

In action - target does not have any status effects...

target has Don't Act on himself...

usckitty

I was trying to add some of Dinosaur's awesome effects by replacing the 0 kb BIN files in EFFECT, but the ISO would not load past the Playstation screen. I was wondering if I had to replace the used files with the new ones...

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: usckitty on August 16, 2011, 01:34:24 am
I was trying to add some of Dinosaur's awesome effects by replacing the 0 kb BIN files in EFFECT, but the ISO would not load past the Playstation screen. I was wondering if I had to replace the used files with the new ones...

Yes.  You cannot increase ISO size without reallocating disk sectors.

usckitty

August 16, 2011, 02:15:24 am #14 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:42:11 am by usckitty
Ahhh, so I would have to replace old effects with new ones!~ Thanks!

usckitty

But one more question...Does it have to be the same file? For example, If I wanted to have Dinosaur's Zodiac-less effect, do I have to replace the Zodiac effect or can I replace oh let's say one of the Oracle's effects?

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: usckitty on August 16, 2011, 02:42:22 am
But one more question...Does it have to be the same file? For example, If I wanted to have Dinosaur's Zodiac-less effect, do I have to replace the Zodiac effect or can I replace oh let's say one of the Oracle's effects?

It's best if you replace the same file because the same file + a color edit = size of original.  Trying to import files of different sizes creates problems.

usckitty

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!