• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:13 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Patch Ideas Proposal Thread

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, September 17, 2012, 06:12:58 pm

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on March 28, 2015, 09:08:45 pm
This all sounds very possible with FFTPatcher work + a few existing ASM hacks (Like roster size increase). The FFTPatcher is extremely user-friendly, I bet you wouldn't have much trouble getting this going.
EDIT: Except increasing JP gains and adding noses :P Can't do that with FFTP (unless you give everyone JP up, or move JP up, but that won't fix noses haha)

Well, then ignore the noses.  (damn...)  I already did have the idea to have the MC's initial Job have JP Boost as an innate, as well as a support ability to learn for when we would need to change jobs for more skills (Martial Arts would probably be the best idea for a second skillset; when isn't it? lol).

This should tell me I should start learning to code, but at this point in time, I'm not quite confident in it, even if FFTP isn't considered coding, and how user-friendly it is.  I'll need to look things up more, but in the meantime, one question: How easy is it to -create- a weapon, even if the concept is as simple as changing an existing weapon a bit?  I'm asking because I have an idea for an -ultimate- weapon (combine the damage of the Chaos Blade and effects of Excalibur into one weapon, which is essentially the main idea, but with slight tweaks, as well) for the MC, and I have no idea how easy/difficult it would be to include it.

Jumza

If you wanted to, for example, give the Chaos Blade the properties of the Excalibur (Innate Haste, Strengthen Holy) along with Chaos Blade's original properties (Innate Regen and proc Petrify) you would have to click a total of 5 buttons after opening the FFTPatcher.

Open FFTPatcher and create new PSX or PSP patch

1. Click Items tab
2. Click Chaos Blade
3. Click Item Attributes (on the Chaos Blade page, not the tab)
4. Click Holy under the Strengthen category
5. Click Haste under the Permanent Status category

Done.

When I said user friendly I meant it :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on March 29, 2015, 10:47:24 am
If you wanted to, for example, give the Chaos Blade the properties of the Excalibur (Innate Haste, Strengthen Holy) along with Chaos Blade's original properties (Innate Regen and proc Petrify) you would have to click a total of 5 buttons after opening the FFTPatcher.

Open FFTPatcher and create new PSX or PSP patch

1. Click Items tab
2. Click Chaos Blade
3. Click Item Attributes (on the Chaos Blade page, not the tab)
4. Click Holy under the Strengthen category
5. Click Haste under the Permanent Status category

Done.

When I said user friendly I meant it :P

o.o  Yeah, that would be easy...  Is it also able to change equip requirements (Ex. Remove class limitation from Onion equipment) and names of weapons, as well as a certain wielding capability (Fell Swords, for example, are 2H weapons; able to make them 1H/2H)?  Or as an alternative to wielding capability, able to remove a certain weapon from being available to enemy Ninjas to Throw?  Also, what about changing Treasure Hunt locations, treasures they give, and the chance to give it (Bravery-based to 100% chance) or is that labeled under ASM Hacking? 

Honestly, though, if it IS that easy, I think all I would need is an Event Manager or two, Spriters, and text overhaul, along with someone who can create a few special classes, if it's not available to FFTP.  Seems like it could be easier than I thought! (I mean from impossible to possibly doable)  Oh yeah, that and a memory wipe for myself, so I could fully enjoy the story unspoiled, but that's kinda pushing it XD

Jumza

You should download the FFTPatcher and explore it for yourself, you'd see that everything you want to do is basically possible using the one program, but I'll address your questions anyway.

I'm not sure how the FFTP handles the PSP exclusive items (like the Dark Knight / Onion Knight only weapons), if it can edit them or even see them at all. It is recommended that you edit the PSX version of the game, not the PSP one simply because more people have done work on it. In both versions though, you can set certain classes to be able to equip certain items in the Jobs tab.

You can change weapons from 2H to 1H and back again really easily, it's just a checkbox.

If you want to remove an item from throw, you have to remove it's item class from the skillset. If you don't want Ninja's to throw Chaos Blades, you have to remove Knight Sword from the Ninja skillset. If it's just enemies that you don't want throwing that kind of stuff, set their chance to learn (in this example, Knight Swords) to 0%.
EDIT: I'm sure there is a better way to exclude certain items though, I've never tried to do that before :P

There is a treasure hunt tab which allows you to edit the X and Y co-ordinates of the items you can get, you can find out the Co-ordinates by going to the map section on the site, it's got all of that stuff listed. You can also change the treasures themselves in this tab, and if you want to make it 100% to always get one item you can just set both (the lower chance and the higher chance) to one item.

Go download the FFTPatcher!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on March 29, 2015, 01:55:10 pm
You should download the FFTPatcher and explore it for yourself, you'd see that everything you want to do is basically possible using the one program, but I'll address your questions anyway.

I'm not sure how the FFTP handles the PSP exclusive items (like the Dark Knight / Onion Knight only weapons), if it can edit them or even see them at all. It is recommended that you edit the PSX version of the game, not the PSP one simply because more people have done work on it. In both versions though, you can set certain classes to be able to equip certain items in the Jobs tab.

You can change weapons from 2H to 1H and back again really easily, it's just a checkbox.

If you want to remove an item from throw, you have to remove it's item class from the skillset. If you don't want Ninja's to throw Chaos Blades, you have to remove Knight Sword from the Ninja skillset. If it's just enemies that you don't want throwing that kind of stuff, set their chance to learn (in this example, Knight Swords) to 0%.
EDIT: I'm sure there is a better way to exclude certain items though, I've never tried to do that before :P

There is a treasure hunt tab which allows you to edit the X and Y co-ordinates of the items you can get, you can find out the Co-ordinates by going to the map section on the site, it's got all of that stuff listed. You can also change the treasures themselves in this tab, and if you want to make it 100% to always get one item you can just set both (the lower chance and the higher chance) to one item.

Go download the FFTPatcher!

Ok, decided to bite the bullet and download it.  Now I gotta ask.... where's the instruction manual, because I have no idea what to do...

I can understand a few things, but it mostly looks like gibberish to me

Jumza

Quote from: Zolias on March 30, 2015, 08:59:14 am
Ok, decided to bite the bullet and download it.  Now I gotta ask.... where's the instruction manual, because I have no idea what to do...

I can understand a few things, but it mostly looks like gibberish to me

It doesn't really need one :P It shouldn't be gibberish either, just open up the FFTPatcher program, go to the top tabs and select New PSX Patch or new PSP patch and go to town exploring all the things!

FFTOrgASM and ShiShi can come later, you should explore the patcher first

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on March 30, 2015, 10:29:16 am
It doesn't really need one :P It shouldn't be gibberish either, just open up the FFTPatcher program, go to the top tabs and select New PSX Patch or new PSP patch and go to town exploring all the things!

FFTOrgASM and ShiShi can come later, you should explore the patcher first

Well, I did some tweaking, and probably will need to get a clean iso to patch it and see how it runs with the changes.  Now this makes me wonder... if I got this much, should I just open a New Project Ideas thread for it?

Jumza

You could :) It would be wise to get a little work done before hand so that you might take some screenshots or videos and show them off to people, but yeah. Go for it!

Zolias

April 01, 2015, 06:40:34 am #68 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:49:27 am by Zolias
Quote from: Jumza on March 30, 2015, 04:38:40 pm
You could :) It would be wise to get a little work done before hand so that you might take some screenshots or videos and show them off to people, but yeah. Go for it!

Yeah, I thought about it, and I'm gonna play around with the program a little more to try and figure out things, and maybe to possibly add a damage formula in if it's not already in there, with the basic, understandable version of the formula being this:

Total Magic Damage = Spell's Power * Magic * (100-User's Faith)/100 * (Target Faith/100)   Best result: User's Faith = 0 (Athiest)  vs. Target's Faith = 100   

It's a combination of Netherseer and Skyseer ability formulas, in that order, that I think would work the best.  (if you check my updated earlier post under the Dreadlord tab, I bet you can figure out for what abilities)

Other thing I need to learn to figure out is how to get the proper sprite in for the MC (Probably would need help from an experienced spriter), and how to make another set of jobs for the MC to grow between 4 chapters outside of Ramza's Squire job, as I was thinking that the story I plan to make (most likely with other's help) takes place during Ramza's Story, where during a few battles or so, MC and Ramza will encounter each other.  Sometimes, Ramza will be a Guest; sometimes, they'll be enemies (as a way of helping each other get stronger, so those battles will have an important role in which enemies do not permanently die). 

Over the 4 Chapters, Ramza will grow, as well.  You won't meet him in Ch.1, Ch.2 and Ch.3, he'll be in his mercenary-variant and have up to Steel; Ch.4, He'll have Shout and if you meet him past a certain point in the story, he'll also have Ultima.  Unfortunately, he won't be recruitable, since he's doing his own story (obviously) so he'll keep his Traitor Immunity (saw that in FFTP).  In fact, to keep away from being able to recruit enemy people, all jobs will have Traitor Immunity.  Btw, I'm also going to add this information to my main post through the means of the edit button.  Already added some before, but yeah... no Edit notifications, apparently lol

I can't say whether or not people would enjoy this game idea, as it's akin to a self-insert fanfiction, but I do want to make it as enjoyable and fairly close to the lore as I can (which unfortunately, I know little of), while adding my own twist.  So with this, I'm going to make a call for assistance eventually

Jumza

Quote from: Zolias on April 01, 2015, 06:40:34 am
I can't say whether or not people would enjoy this game idea, as it's akin to a self-insert fanfiction

I would say that most, if not all of the sites mods are just fanfiction (especially JoT5 :P).

You could probably ask an ASMer to help you out with that formula, whether they do it themsleves or if they help you figure it out. Formulas aren't too hard to handle as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to replace Ramza and his sprites / jobs with your main characters, and paste Ramza's old stuff anywhere else. If he isn't in your party for the entire game like the Main Character is, he doesn't need the special code in his job that allows him to grow throughout the chapters (also I think that's what you have to do anyway). Ramza could easily be made into a special character that changes throughout the times you encounter him.

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on April 01, 2015, 05:05:28 pm
I would say that most, if not all of the sites mods are just fanfiction (especially JoT5 :P).

You could probably ask an ASMer to help you out with that formula, whether they do it themsleves or if they help you figure it out. Formulas aren't too hard to handle as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to replace Ramza and his sprites / jobs with your main characters, and paste Ramza's old stuff anywhere else. If he isn't in your party for the entire game like the Main Character is, he doesn't need the special code in his job that allows him to grow throughout the chapters (also I think that's what you have to do anyway). Ramza could easily be made into a special character that changes throughout the times you encounter him.

To be honestl, Jot5 gave me the inspiration to go out on a limb and even attempt to try to make my idea work.  Also, I'd need a spriter to build the sprites for my main character before I'd be able to replace them with Ramza's.

I also am trying to figure out how to place human allies to be able to get them later (such as Mid Ch.2, for example), or if that's another program besides FFTP that came along with the download.  After all, there's going to be only 3 others, though 2 of the 3 are already in the game's code: Reis and Beowulf; will leave Beowulf mostly unchanged, though maybe with some slight alterations to his abilities.  After all, Beowulf seems like he'd join anyone who would take the Gollund Mines job, after all.  Obviously, Reis' Dragonkin job will have some alterations because she's one of your few units to be able to change jobs, and it seems kind of weak in vanilla.  If I could also find a way to give starting equipment to her (the 1st and only Minerva Bustier, some kind of perfume, and a Barette), she could be very useful. 

gatebuster202

Hi Folks, been a while since I've logged on. I had hoped to become an active and productive member of the community back in '12 but, life happened, (Fatherhood!) and so patching got put on hold.

I have seen some interest in a Fifty Years War Patch. While I am not the best in the writing department, or in the eventing, I am wanting to throw my hat in on starting a project, if the want is still there.

Thing's I'd like to do.
1. Original Story, with given lore. So, I'd like the main character to be Barbaneth. Covering his whole life, from his graduation from Gariland, and Early days in the war, to assuming the Head of House Beaoulve, to marrying and having Dyce and Zalbaag, all the way to his death in the last few weeks of the Fifty Years War.

2. Interactive Side Character. So we'd fight(like the Delita battles in WotL) as Orlandu and Dyce and Zalbaag. When we got to point's in the story where that would be appropriate. This could be expanded, but it would give us a feeling of fighting a long reaching, time spanning campaign.

3. Original Map. I profess to have not looked at map editing in FFT, but I expect to have to edit our map to put the battles mostly in Limberry and Zeltinna. Cities will be static, Forts minus Besselat will move and maps will be generously used where appropriate. (Yes, you will fight lots of fort battles.)

4. New Jobs and Job Tree/ with altered skills. So, I like vanilla, but, this is a more military based campaign. so jobs will reflect that. More on this later when I have a final idea of what I'm trying to do. (I plan on creating a Vanilla patch with these new jobs balanced first. Once I have the jobs where I want them I'll finalize the events and such.)

5. Sprites. Sprites seem to be a bane of Patching. So, minus Balbaneth getting his own custom sprite, I will not wait on any other sprites to release the patches. New jobs will use removed jobs sprites and I'll request from sprites, permission to use sprites, but other then already made work, I don't want to wait on others for play testing and such.

6. Events. So, we have room in Vanilla for about 150 events and if I have kept up with things, we have maybe fifty more due to an extension. So that's two hundred odd events(Or more.) I'd like to tell the story in exactly 150 events. So whatever script I write, that's my limit for Barbaneth. Everyone else will share the other space and get a side story. I'm even considering a part one and two, with a division at Dyce and Zal taking up commands under Barbaneth. That'd double my event space and expand what I'm willing to put into the story.

So that's some goals. I don't want to put everything out there. I'd like to hope this interests people and they want to jump on board and throw me some assistance. I'll need help on the ASM front
(Still not exactly sure what that is. Aside from the ability effects formula/mechanics of the game.)

What I have done.
25% of the Story written, this is most of an outline with plot points. Now, I'll take influences/requests and input from my team(if they happen to come into existence.) Otherwise, I'd like to avoid receiving input from non-team members. (Not saying the community's opinion doesn't matter, it really does, but this keeps down avalanches of input without references to what we already have. We're working in 95% unknown territory, plot wise.)

Jobs have been re-planned. Requirements and Tiers of Jobs are changing, and a few classes that didn't see as much play will be removed, replaced, or re-purposed.

Items and Equipment. I have hopes for a overhaul of equipment to match the job overhaul. Most of this is on paper, but I'm playing with FFTPatcher. So I'll look at the limitations and see what I can do. (Little hint, Item, the Command... Might disappear, but the consumables will still have important uses.)

Anyway, feedback, tell me I'm crazy, too ambitious, ectra, now. Because I will go ahead with putting out some design docs and script samplers but the end of July if I see some support before then.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

3lric

Don't rely on support to make you do or post anything. Because speaking from experience you wont get support until you have either a shitton of viewables or at the very least something playable. You have to come into this realizing that we are a very small community and even less that actually do things. Those of us who do do things are working on our own things.

If that's something you can handle then I'll be glad to see where this goes. That's not to say we can't help you, as we do have a vast knowledge of how the game works and ways to do many things you many have in mind. The implimentation portion however will heavily fall on you to do yourself.

gatebuster202

Sounds good Elric, thanks for the reply. I think I can make the vanilla edit, balancing classes, redoing some events and scripting to pave the way for the Fifty Year War patch. At that point hopefully some of the braver people who enjoy that, will offer assistance with the project. I may only make a rebalance patch to vanilla with classes if I can't get some help. (I work in grocery, so free time is... Limited.) I have ambition and a refined idea of what I want as well as enough patience to see it though. I'll ask questions as I get stumped for sure. It wasn't a help wanted post as much of a gauging interest post. (Though I was asking for those who were playing with the idea of modding of jumping on board.)

I guess I'll make a post and put together what I have in planning, and completed on Monday.

Also, as one Father to another Congrats, on your little one!

Pride

Nothing you want to do is inherently impossible. Just requires time and effort in learning many of aspects of fft (event editing, world map editing, etc etc). Good luck and I'd look forward to something like this.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

gatebuster202

Thanks Pride. I was up til 3 or so this morning working out the jobs alone... SO I see what you guys meant. (The limitations on certain movesets wasn't clear. Until I had created fifteen unique classes.) Luckily, I can re-skin Squire, re-purpose Chemist. Ect.

Here is my post with the bare bones up: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10956.0

I think the rest of my morning will be spent trying to see what kind of give Samurai has in it's move set.

Havermayer

How difficult would it be in the PSP version to make the maps bigger? Is that at all possible? Nothing fancy, just larger maps. The current maps were made with PS1 limitations in mind, and are really small compared to even Tactics Ogre.

Has anyone thought about creating a new game script based on the best parts of the PS1 and PSP scripts? I think a lot of the PSP changes are silly. The translator just hates the letter "l" and "v" for names, so he ends up making the names very awkward. "Argath" vs. "Algus" for example. And the fake "ye old english" is very awkward.

gatebuster202

Havermayer, the FFT: Complete project has the current (and best) consolidated scripts (IMO). My project intends to use that as a springboard and continue eventing some scenes into the story that happened behind the scenes or would/should have happened. The archaic take on English conveys far more emotion then the crapish writing we saw in chapter 4, and all subtly was lost as well in the original.

I think FFT should sound like an Episode of Reign (on CW). Proper English with most everyone in the lens being educated nobility. FFT: Complete is really an awesome base patch though, so I'd give it a look first, then decide what you want.

As to the difficulty of increasing map size. I have no idea. We have, a few new maps in existence. (See Jot5's third fight.) But the thing I've noticed is that the community has clamored for new maps, yet those seem to be the hardest/ most time consuming visuals out there. My own limited knowledge of coding(Read: Non-existant) Would suggest that the numbers probably have a hard coded maximum, that most maps use, and I know no one has made a tool set for map edits. I think nothing fancy would have to be the name of the game if maps can increase. Large open fields and rivers/lake edges. Single mountains. Ect. I saw several replies to this question over the years, so feel free to look into the coding section, where better, more detailed answers can be found.

I personally, will be looking to add more maps that have been put into the game into the battle rotation. (The grave site, the interior of the Zeltenna church, the interior of Riovannes in the study. All great maps to continue the battles of the story in.) But these are smaller and of course, obviously doable.

Havermayer

July 02, 2015, 01:15:19 pm #78 Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:20:57 pm by Havermayer
For map size, there likely are hardware limits for the PS1 version correct? The Maps in Tactics Ogre are much bigger. In many ways, Tactics Ogre feels more advanced than FFT. I imagine it might be possible in the PSP version.

Also: what about increasing the amount of jobs available? It'd be really nice if we could re-create all the jobs and races found in FFTA and FFTA2. But you'd need something like 50 job slots.

For my other idea, would be to make a FFTA inspired jobs but working within the limits of the original game.

Male = Hume/Banga mix
Female = Viera/Nu Mou mix

If you make the bard and dancer class a second tier job, and then require every other job to get 1 level in it, you could effectively create a series of male only and female only jobs. That's the theory at least. I've never tried it. Is there anything theoretically why that wouldn't work?

I'd use the PSP version since it has two more job slots and two more unique characters to add. Unique characters would also have FFTA jobs that thematically fit them. Agrias could be a Paladin for instance. You could get a pretty decent selection of the jobs, a kind of "Best of". I skipped over Moogles since I never cared for them.

3lric

July 02, 2015, 05:52:57 pm #79 Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:01:07 pm by Elric
Gatebuster. FFT Complete just has the WotL script. Nothing new. (99% of us HATE the WotL script) Also, there aren't new maps in Jot5 Ch1 lol. I just edited that map to remove the chairs n such. You just normally wouldn't fight in it in Vanilla.

The only way you'd be able to do what you mentioned about adding in new events would be to completely restructure your attack.out and worldmap to remove setup events. Or wait for TLW.

You are not the first person to assume that there is no tool for Map edits, but there is. It's called Ganesha and has been around for over 5 years.

----------------

Havermayer, there are job slots to accommodate that, but definitely not sprite space for it. Also, No, you won't be increasing the size of those maps in the manner you are thinking. It is true that Xif can move stuff around to make for larger maps to be placed in or moved around (like she did for Jot5) but thats not the only issue. Have you ever even looked at Ganesha or how maps are made? Map making is easy, but setting up map palettes and cohesive textures to accompany them is horribly inefficient.

I can't say it is "impossible" to do what you are saying. Though given that I'm one of like 4 people who have ever even edited FFT maps, and that 3 of those people don't do so anymore, paired with what I said above, it is safe to say, its not going to happen.

Also, while I agree that the WotL script was horrible the names were not made by eliminating l's and v's. There is a pattern behind how it was done this is used IRL. Unlike the faux old english that is used, which would be improper to any era of the english language.