• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:30 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Monster Changes in Mercenaries (Assistance much appreciated)

Started by LastingDawn, September 20, 2009, 01:11:06 am

LastingDawn

Monsters are very different in Mercenaries...

A number of them can equip certain items, for instance...

The Minotaur can equip Clothes, Armguards, and Armlets.

Bombs can equip Helmets and Hats, because... well they're a giant head with arms, hehe.

Goblins are very versatile, they can equip Hat, Clothing, Shoes, Rings, and Armlets. These foes are not to be taken lightly.

Mindflayers can equip Robes, Staves, Rings, and Cloaks, definitely foes to watch out for (especially with their new reactions, but more on all that later.

The Bone Snatch is a relatively unique foe in Mercenaries, they can equip Swords, Shields, and even Bec De Corbins, their protective garb is Armor, Armguards and Cloaks.

Ghouls can equip Robes, nothing else.

Treants can only equip Rings

That's it for their equipment, because I made a grave error with Dark and Fire weapons most monsters have resistance to those two weapons, so it might not be best to use the newest Dark/Fire weapon one happens upon.

Also there are no longer subclasses of monsters, but I can easily still give certain ones their own skillsets, most of them were sacrificed for Bounties, (which will be talked about in another thread...) but regardles monsters can do with a rehaul of their current abilities. If you have any thoughts on what you would like to see rehauled (or perhaps new ideas for monsters to be put in) don't hesitate to speak up.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Wasabi

September 20, 2009, 02:01:13 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Humanoid Berserkers that can equip claws (and maybe axes, if they are still available to the player) and the berserker gear, but wih their own innate buffs? Not exactly original, but it's something that could really put a challenge to the player I believe.

And I believe Asmo made a Marlboro mage somewhere on the Sprite forum. I'd like to see that in action somehow. :3

MiKeMiTchi

September 20, 2009, 02:05:57 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
I wish there will be elemental monsters like flans, dragons, and bombs, for all elements, (+holy, dark, wind, earth, water)

Also, there should be mini-bosses for monsters, and their look would be like...
just they're bigger than their kind.

What's the limit for monster units, btw?
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

LastingDawn

September 20, 2009, 02:16:34 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I'm more or less talking about what we have, if anyone would offer a monster suggestion, I should hope they're ready to make it themselves. But I'm afraid that each class of monster only has a single class now, therefore the elemental bids are pretty much out, a lot of that is being taken over for Bounties.

Also, interesting you mention that Wasabi, the Berserker's are a group in Mercenaries, you get pieces of their set by accomplishing side quests dealing with them.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

September 20, 2009, 02:27:13 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Who should also consider the Blue Mage here. :P

LastingDawn

September 20, 2009, 02:33:14 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well mainly I'm asking for ideas on new monster skills to replace old ones and which class of monster it should belong to. If you can suggest a new monster (and prepare a sprite) by all means I'll accept it, though you may also suggest Blue Magic which is what this thread is also about.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

September 20, 2009, 02:36:05 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Haha. I wish I was good with these stuffs.

SilvasRuin

September 20, 2009, 04:14:11 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
What, no Behemoths?  I would like to see Behemoths with nods to the past games.  The strongest ones not only were capable of brutal physical attacks, but you would often see them throw around some Flares too, and their dying blow would be a nasty attack like Meteor.  So... I suppose I'll suggest a Behemoth concept.  Are the Monster Skill abilities going to be in this patch, or should we limit suggested abilities to three?

Heave - Powerful physical attack with a chance of instance death.
Flare - However powerful you think it can be without being totally broken.
Parting Gift - Essentially the same as a Bomb's Self-Destruct but with either Meteor or Cloud's Meteorain graphics and maybe some tweaks to ranged and power.

If you have Tonberries, all of them must have the ??? status.

Knife - Death
Poke - Very high damage
Karma - Ranged attack.  Damage = caster's lost hp.  This right here is why they need to have ???.  It allows them to get enough damage without dying to make this attack both lethal and frightening, especially if your party is swarmed with Tonberries.
The strategy to fight them would be to try and outrun them while focusing on only one at a time so that there is only one powerful Karma at any given time, making it easier to revive characters that will inevitably die.  To actually keep it a decent challenge, Karma might should have some hefty range to it so that a bunch of bows or crossbows can't annihilate them without effort.

Yeah, I'm wanting to make the monsters very, very powerful... but they can't be recruited, and I think the Tonberry concept is perfectly beatable so long as you don't have a Berserked character and don't have a lousy setup.

Oh, and if you haven't already made plans for all the equipment already, how about giving certain monsters signature weapons, and the way to get those weapons is to steal them from the monsters?  I don't recall the Knife list of yours, but would there be room for a Tonberrion knife for this purpose?

EDIT:  Just checked.  I noticed the Cluster dagger is WP^2.  What do you think about making that the Tonberry knife?  I think it would fit the role well.

jimmyjw88

September 20, 2009, 04:54:48 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
This is interesting ^^
So, basically, its old monsters with new skills or new monsters? Also, is there any changes for Lucavi, Sir LD? Like that Bomb Lord made by Curu; I think that would make an awesome Lucavi or Boss where it will summon his minions, Bomb. Hehe ^^
I wish I good at this
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

September 20, 2009, 06:13:16 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Great ideas for monsters, Silvas! I agree that monsters should be very very powerful since they can't be recruited, and the party won't have access to their skills. (except using Learn from Blue Magic, but still can't get their full set)

QuoteAlso, is there any changes for Lucavi, Sir LD?

I salute you!

mav

September 20, 2009, 07:45:27 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
So with new subclasses, each monster is limited to one sprite and palette, right?

Anyway, monsters equipping items is brilliant! I dunno much about skillsets, but I'll start thinking of some (most likely drawing inspiration from some of the Final Fantasy games of yesteryear). Hopefully some more members will flutter by and drop their two cents.

Kagebunji

September 20, 2009, 09:32:49 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Maybe something like this:

Movers(those three floating, red balls)
Divine Ultima- In other FF they had normal Ultima, but in FFT normal Ultima is weak, so Divine Ultima is better choice IMO
Delta attack- how about casting Bolt 3, three times?
Giga Flare- Maybe give this attack the same range as Bahamut got?(if possible)

Sprite for them will be hard to do though
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

SilvasRuin

September 20, 2009, 09:52:27 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
If you're going to call it "Divine Ultima" you may as well just name it Eschaton.

LastingDawn

September 20, 2009, 11:09:26 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"What, no Behemoths?  I would like to see Behemoths with nods to the past games.  The strongest ones not only were capable of brutal physical attacks, but you would often see them throw around some Flares too, and their dying blow would be a nasty attack like Meteor.  So... I suppose I'll suggest a Behemoth concept.  Are the Monster Skill abilities going to be in this patch, or should we limit suggested abilities to three?

Curse my idiocy... ahem... well in any case monsters can have any set. Probably more then four abilities, but only four unique abilities to monsters.

Now for the monsters *currently* in the game, they are...

Chocobo, Goblin, Bomb, Cuar, Mindflare, Bone Snatch, Ghoul, Ahriman, Cockatrice, Treant, Iron Giant, Minotaur, Malboro, Behemoth, Dragon, Hydra, and a single unknown (mainly because I'm not even sure what to put...) Keep in mind though I made this before I considered the idea of multi-patching, the multi patch plan really frees up a few job slots for non-essential characters (Larg, Goltana, etc) all those classes can go towards something else.

QuoteHeave - Powerful physical attack with a chance of instance death.
Flare - However powerful you think it can be without being totally broken.
Parting Gift - Essentially the same as a Bomb's Self-Destruct but with either Meteor or Cloud's Meteorain graphics and maybe some tweaks to ranged and power.

Hmm, Heave is similar to Stab Up, isn't it? It just seems like Stab Up with a different name... having Flare as a monster only ability is pretty interesting and will be considered. Though what game is Parting Gift from?

QuoteIf you have Tonberries, all of them must have the ??? status.

Knife - Death
Poke - Very high damage
Karma - Ranged attack.  Damage = caster's lost hp.  This right here is why they need to have ???.  It allows them to get enough damage without dying to make this attack both lethal and frightening, especially if your party is swarmed with Tonberries.
The strategy to fight them would be to try and outrun them while focusing on only one at a time so that there is only one powerful Karma at any given time, making it easier to revive characters that will inevitably die.  To actually keep it a decent challenge, Karma might should have some hefty range to it so that a bunch of bows or crossbows can't annihilate them without effort.

Yeah, I'm wanting to make the monsters very, very powerful... but they can't be recruited, and I think the Tonberry concept is perfectly beatable so long as you don't have a Berserked character and don't have a lousy setup.

Oh, and if you haven't already made plans for all the equipment already, how about giving certain monsters signature weapons, and the way to get those weapons is to steal them from the monsters?  I don't recall the Knife list of yours, but would there be room for a Tonberrion knife for this purpose?

EDIT:  Just checked.  I noticed the Cluster dagger is WP^2.  What do you think about making that the Tonberry knife?  I think it would fit the role well.

Yes, there was a Tonberry sprites in the work but is it really high quality enough to go in Mercenaries? Granted one of our talented spriters could probably touch it up (which I would also like done with Exodus down the line...) Your ideas sound good, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them anymore then 1,000 - 1500 HP. Knife, Poke, and Karma all sound good. Though as for "set weapons" In Mercenaries equipment is Next to Impossible to come across, Steal X, no longer exists. It it always an uphill struggle, in Mercenaries, money is normally fighting against you, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a mission reward, for fighting Tonberries. 100 Damage guaranteed each turn might not sound like a lot, but in Mercenaries that's a rather high number.

Cluster sounds good to give to them.

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"This is interesting ^^
So, basically, its old monsters with new skills or new monsters? Also, is there any changes for Lucavi, Sir LD? Like that Bomb Lord made by Curu; I think that would make an awesome Lucavi or Boss where it will summon his minions, Bomb. Hehe ^^
I wish I good at this

Exodus is the only new Lucavi (I Can't add Lucavi willy-nilly, when there's a set 13 already) revealed so far. But I wouldn't mind adding in the Bomb Lord, but I would like to see her finished product first for it,  before I think about adding it.

Quote from: "mav"So with new subclasses, each monster is limited to one sprite and palette, right?

Anyway, monsters equipping items is brilliant! I dunno much about skillsets, but I'll start thinking of some (most likely drawing inspiration from some of the Final Fantasy games of yesteryear). Hopefully some more members will flutter by and drop their two cents.

To an extent... many of them can still have alternate palettes, that's not really a problem. Also as Mercenaries is a tribute to the whole series, more classic skills are definitely not frowned upon.

Quote from: "Kagebunji"Maybe something like this:

Movers(those three floating, red balls)
Divine Ultima- In other FF they had normal Ultima, but in FFT normal Ultima is weak, so Divine Ultima is better choice IMO
Delta attack- how about casting Bolt 3, three times?
Giga Flare- Maybe give this attack the same range as Bahamut got?(if possible)

Sprite for them will be hard to do though

Movers? Those little things in FFV that give tons of AP? I'm... not sure they're exactly proper foes...

Art of War

Kagebunji

September 20, 2009, 12:39:27 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
I thought Movers won't fit, but they were in few FF series, so I just threw this idea.

QuoteIf you're going to call it "Divine Ultima" you may as well just name it Eschaton.
What's wrong with "Divine Ultima"? If I recall correctly, it was named like that in WotL. Or do you like Ultima2 more o_O?

LastingDawn

September 20, 2009, 12:58:00 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Eschaton is the name they gave to Divine Ultima in FFXII, which was the reason he suggested that. But Ultima spells, along with Wish are special to me, they can't just be given without good reason. Ultima and its counterparts normally deals something in relations to Ultima herself.

Art of War

Bloodthirster0

September 20, 2009, 01:34:41 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bloodthirster0
from what I read around about mercenaries,it is not going to have lucavis,but Exodus,so changing 'em for big monsters like the Bomb Lord(by:Curu) would be a great idea

About the monsters,it would be awesome to put more classic monsters like Cactuars,Flans,Tonberry and etc,they can substitute the civilian sprites that arent used in game
Need something useful to write here

Dormin Jake

September 20, 2009, 02:24:25 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Some random ability ideas. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/ is a pretty good place for inspiration and cobbling together ideas from other games.  Not that I've REALLY done so.  Abilities unchanged from vanilla except where noted.

Chocobo -
Choco Cure
Choco Esuna
Choco Ball
Choco Meteor

Goblin -
Goblin Punch - physical damage with chance to cancel charging
Turn Punch
Magic Hammer - MP damage, 2 or 3 range (Magic Break formula?)
Frog Drop - low magic damage with chance to add Frog

Bomb -
Self-Destruct
Burn - a la Invoker
Flamethrower - 2 panel linear fire damage
Burn Wave - Spark, but doesn't heal the Bomb, so they're more likely to use Self-Destruct when critical

Cuar -
Poison Nail - physical damage with poison
Shock - Invoker
Life Drain
Blaster

Mindflare -
Dominate - add charm
Odd Soundwave
Aqua Rake/Aqualung/Aquabreath - moderate water damage
Freeze - Invoker
Mind Blast - random confusion/berserk/addle

Bone Snatch -
Ancient Armor - self protect, Sandstorm animation
Shadow Lance - linear dark damage
Hollow Sword - sword skill with chance to add undead
Deathbloom - cancel all status effects on target, deal 1/3 (1/2?) HP damage (Death formula)

Ghoul -
Cold Touch - ice damage, chance to add slow
Sleep Touch
Silence
Spirit Surge - Invoker
Dark Chant - Invoker
Phantom Cry - magic damage, add darkness, Draw Out aoe

Ahriman -
Gale - Invoker
Look of Devil
Death Sentence
Circle
Demi/Demi 2

Cockatrice -
Feather Bomb - wind physical damage
Beak
??? really not sure what else to do here
Monk's Radiant Claw?
Warder's Slice Tendon?

Treant -
Tranquility - heals MP
Shelter - adds protect and shell to surrounding units
White Wind - heals HP in Draw Out radius
Enchant - low chance to add sleep in aoe, or moderate chance to single target (whichever sounds better)

Iron Giant -
got nothing at the moment

Minotaur -
Snort - 1/2 HP damage to target with float, cancel float (death formula)
Tremor - Invoker
Ogre Run - Monk
Earth Rave - 4-hit earth magic damage, 1 range, 1 aoe, does not hit caster
Earth Heal - self regen

Malboro -
Engulf - Invoker
Goo - 2 range, 1 aoe, high chance of don't move
Lick - self or 1 range heal
Bad Breath - same, but adds all or nothing poison/addle/confusion/darkness

Behemoth -
Sudden Cry/Heave
Meteor - high physical damage in 1 aoe of caster, Meteorain animation
Dark Matter - high magic damage to single target, high range, long charge time
???

Dragon -
Tail Swing - same, but with 2 range instead of 1 (long tail!)
Fire Breath
got plenty of ideas for elemental dragons, but that's understandably n/a here

Hydra -
made all my Hyrdas elemental dragons, so currently at a loss

If nothing else, hope this at least stirs some creative juices!  Things can be greatly expanded upon I'm sure.

LD, with your multi-patching idea, monster abilities could be progressive in strength.  Like if the original Black Magic existed, you could have Bombs use Fire in chapter/patch 1, Fire 2 in chapter/patch 2, and so on.  That way abilities are leveling up along with stats!  So you really do have quite a lot of creative room here.

tl;dr - hello, hi!
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

LastingDawn

September 20, 2009, 03:10:27 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Dormin Jake"Some random ability ideas. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/ is a pretty good place for inspiration and cobbling together ideas from other games.  Not that I've REALLY done so.  Abilities unchanged from vanilla except where noted.

Indeed, the wiki is a great source, though sometimes it's not a bit exact... regardless it's good enough.

QuoteChocobo -
Choco Cure
Choco Esuna
Choco Ball
Choco Meteor

We'll hopefully get something for these a bit later, I know FFTA 2 Greatly expanded on their skills, if I recall rght.

QuoteGoblin -
Goblin Punch - physical damage with chance to cancel charging
Turn Punch
Magic Hammer - MP damage, 2 or 3 range (Magic Break formula?)
Frog Drop - low magic damage with chance to add Frog

Frog Drop and Magic Hammer! That is Classic! (Well not really... it's mostly based on the Baknamy, which if they were to retcon FFT, I'm sure they'd be Baknamy) But great ideas! Frog is a very rare status in Mercenaries and makes the Perfect Blue Magic.

QuoteBomb -
Self-Destruct
Burn - a la Invoker
Flamethrower - 2 panel linear fire damage
Burn Wave - Spark, but doesn't heal the Bomb, so they're more likely to use Self-Destruct when critical

Interesting... I'd already lowered the MA of monsters to reasonable levels, but perhaps it's not needed after all, espcially if we use te Invoker's spells as reference, good ida. Thoug Burn Wave is an odd one for me to fathom...

QuoteCuar -
Poison Nail - physical damage with poison
Shock - Invoker
Life Drain
Blaster

Hmm... Cuar's might need some help, other than their signature Blaster.

QuoteMindflare -
Dominate - add charm
Odd Soundwave
Aqua Rake/Aqualung/Aquabreath - moderate water damage
Freeze - Invoker
Mind Blast - random confusion/berserk/addle

Oh, I like this I like this a lot! This is good work. Dominate is very characteristic of the D&D Monsters they're based off of, and a great way to stick in AquaRake, now That is classic.

QuoteBone Snatch -
Ancient Armor - self protect, Sandstorm animation
Shadow Lance - linear dark damage
Hollow Sword - sword skill with chance to add undead
Deathbloom - cancel all status effects on target, deal 1/3 (1/2?) HP damage (Death formula)

Now This! This is very creative, I love these ideas, but a few might need a little more assistance, then again... if Ancient Armor is free and instant it's... well it's very good, hehe. Shadow Lance is Great! And oddly makes me think of Dark Knight Cecil in Dissidia. A sword skill to add undead... I'm surprised I never thought about that. Now DeathBloom is an interesting one as well, but Death's Formula might not work as you think it might... It will only cancel and do damage, IF the target has those applied already. So it rips it from them and deals damage, which does give their name extra meaning... Definitely in love with this concept.

QuoteGhoul -
Cold Touch - ice damage, chance to add slow
Sleep Touch
Silence
Spirit Surge - Invoker
Dark Chant - Invoker
Phantom Cry - magic damage, add darkness, Draw Out aoe

Phantom Cry's pretty cool. Everything else is a bit simlar, though I do like that you gave them both Holy and Dark magic, that's pretty cool. Also keep in mind... Silence no longer exists, it's now Addle (horribly broken but... I'm doing my best to fix that) which makes you forget Every skill (It will get a CT to it eventually)

QuoteAhriman -
Gale - Invoker
Look of Devil
Death Sentence
Circle
Demi/Demi 2

A bit plain... let's see if we cant helpthe Ahriman down the line.

QuoteCockatrice -
Feather Bomb - wind physical damage
Beak
??? really not sure what else to do here
Monk's Radiant Claw?
Warder's Slice Tendon?

Not in love with this... the Slice Tendon is a nice touch though.

QuoteTreant -
Tranquility - heals MP
Shelter - adds protect and shell to surrounding units
White Wind - heals HP in Draw Out radius
Enchant - low chance to add sleep in aoe, or moderate chance to single target (whichever sounds better)

A support monster eh? Something that actually Looks like it will do it's job no doubt, should they also be given a revive spell as well (similar to 1.3)

QuoteIron Giant -
got nothing at the moment
We'll figure out something for this eventually...

QuoteMinotaur -
Snort - 1/2 HP damage to target with float, cancel float (death formula)
Tremor - Invoker
Ogre Run - Monk
Earth Rave - 4-hit earth magic damage, 1 range, 1 aoe, does not hit caster
Earth Heal - self regen

Snort is an interesting concept... but I'm not sure if Float needs to be more victimized then already is, but... it's worth a shot. Especially since so many of its skills are based around Earth elemental.

QuoteMalboro -
Engulf - Invoker
Goo - 2 range, 1 aoe, high chance of don't move
Lick - self or 1 range heal
Bad Breath - same, but adds all or nothing poison/addle/confusion/darkness

Hmm, Bad Breath is classic and is in FFT... but I think we should give them more, not sure what yet though.

QuoteBehemoth -
Sudden Cry/Heave
Meteor - high physical damage in 1 aoe of caster, Meteorain animation
Dark Matter - high magic damage to single target, high range, long charge time
???

Odd that you should mention Dark Matter, Dark Matter is the name of a status in Mercenaries which makes it so you can't be buffed at all. The only way to get rid of it is to set yourself on fire. Other then that... hmm... what else can be done with the Behemoth?

QuoteDragon -
Tail Swing - same, but with 2 range instead of 1 (long tail!)
Fire Breath
got plenty of ideas for elemental dragons, but that's understandably n/a here

Tail Swing is a nice addition, we'll have ideas for dragons in due time.

Hydra -
made all my Hyrdas elemental dragons, so currently at a loss[/quote]

Haha! It's no trouble we'll get ideas for them eventually.

QuoteIf nothing else, hope this at least stirs some creative juices!  Things can be greatly expanded upon I'm sure.

LD, with your multi-patching idea, monster abilities could be progressive in strength.  Like if the original Black Magic existed, you could have Bombs use Fire in chapter/patch 1, Fire 2 in chapter/patch 2, and so on.  That way abilities are leveling up along with stats!  So you really do have quite a lot of creative room here.

tl;dr - hello, hi!

That! That is a very interesting proposal... each patch would bring in a harder version of monsters, eh? Along with upgraded skills... it's not a bad idea, I really like it!

Art of War

Eternal

September 20, 2009, 06:42:41 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
In FFIV, Ahriman used Doom/Haste to speed up the enemy's ATB so they'd die faster. Perhaps we could make a move along that theme?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817