• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 01:04:51 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Abilities Triggering Weapon Proc.

Started by Mysfit, September 07, 2012, 02:17:49 pm

Mysfit

I apologize if I'm asking something that's been asked before, but I couldn't find anything that mentioned something like this specifically. I was wondering if there was something anyone could suggest with regard to making abilities that are flagged with weapon range and weapon strike also apply weapon proc. chances as a normal weapon attack would.
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

I think I know what you mean, kinda like when Agrias or Gafgarion use their sword skills they swing their weapon, or when Knights do a Break technique. I could never figure that out either, I usually would just change one or two Holy or Dark Sword skills to whatever and change what they do specifically. Maybe there is a way, but that's just my two cents.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Mysfit

I actually mean something to the effect of a skill which considers the equipped weapon for its damage, but also considers the chance to trigger any spells attached to that weapon as well (e.g. Flame Rod which has a chance to cast Fire [spell] on hit). I know that there would be a great deal of ASM coding needed to graft that together; I'm curious if anyone could enlighten me on just how much and if it can even be done without breaking everything horribly.

RavenOfRazgriz

The main thing is that, as far as the game is concerned, "Attack" is a skill, and its "Proc" is whatever the Weapon Proc is on your particular weapon.  When you use a skill, even if you still use Formula 01/03/04/06/07, it has its own Proc/Element settings by default.  You would need your skill's Formula check its Proc through using the same bit of custom Proc code the Attack command does or simply use Attack Ability's Proc code itself, which, considering some Formula such as Charge, Equipment Break, and I believe a couple others already do something like this, is possible.  No one has actually bothered to do it yet, though, as most times people make Weapon Range skills, the things unique about them are the Formula and Proc.

Mysfit

I see. My intention is to at least attempt to add that particular check from the Attack command formula to a custom formula. Is there documentation anywhere of the ASM behind the formulas, ideally with some interpretation of how the different parts of it are supposed to behave? I'm not much of a programmer, but I'd like to become familiar with this.