• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:29:05 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Old] ALL old topics created before the FULL release (Merged together!)

Started by Dome, December 05, 2010, 02:02:09 pm

Which one is the best, and why?

Ignore
0 (0%)
this
0 (0%)
topic
0 (0%)
!!!!!1111
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Joseph Strife

Ch.3 is done and here goes.
1) Not a single bug found here, great job! :D
2) At a reandom encounter, i charmed a chocobo, then it choco esuna herself and removed charm! :shock: this wasn't supposed to happen, i mean, when you charm someone teh enemy AI turns into Ally AI and it starts doing things to help you, not actualy fade you charm off. Anyways, i made her lost 1 turn with that, but lost 1 of mine too.  :|
3) It's the hardest chapter so far, it has hard battles from the beggining to end, Olan's battle wan realy anoying to get through and WTF is Velius?! I had to use lots of things that gave me magic evasion to get ást him, and his HP it like infinite, but the battle was cool, i had a hell of a luck here.

moving to ch. 4
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

GeneralStrife

are you sure the chocobo didn't use esuna on one of your teammates to cure them? That would explain the charm cure.

Dome

Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 07, 2011, 05:32:11 pm
are you sure the chocobo didn't use esuna on one of your teammates to cure them? That would explain the charm cure.

Also, don't worry, Ch3 difficult issues should have been fixed...or at least I hope xD

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Joseph Strife

Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 07, 2011, 05:32:11 pm

I am sure, she used it on herself alone.
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"

Dome

Quote from: Joseph Strife on July 07, 2011, 05:42:52 pm
I am sure, she used it on herself alone.

Wow, the AI cheats...maybe he didn't have anything else to do xD

Joseph Strife

Dome

Just want to let everyone know that tomorrow I'll be free, and I'll try to bumrush my patch work to release it ASAP xD

Joseph Strife

Quote from: Dome on July 07, 2011, 05:47:59 pm
Just want to let everyone know that tomorrow I'll be free, and I'll try to bumrush my patch work to release it ASAP xD

Just great!  :mrgreen:

Eternal

The AI will attempt to cure itself of Charm if it can. IIRC I saw Meliadoul do something like that once.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Joseph Strife

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 07, 2011, 05:53:09 pm
The AI will attempt to cure itself of Charm if it can. IIRC I saw Meliadoul do something like that once.

LOL, i never saw it before, frist time.

GeneralStrife

but thats a conundrum, how would the charmed unit uncharm itself if its charmed it cannot aid its team which curing itself would aid and adkflnsdfk;hsdfhsdfuwery hfsdjkldfsgd

MysticKnightFF5

Because charm is considered a negative status, and the AI is set to remove negative statuses.
It THINKS it's helping your team by removing the negative status from itself....

The Damned

(Geez, I meant to comment on this about a month ago. Figure I might as well start here on my "things I'm behind on replying to" list.)

I'm still not sure about using ALMA myself:

1. Move Over Surfaces: Perhaps call it "Solidify" and make give it some resistance to Ice rather than Water? It seems decent and coherent enough, though, especially considering how useless Move on Lava is overall by itself.

2. Any Ground: Perhaps call it "Terrain Awareness" or something like that given the immunity to Poison, though I suppose that's not taking into account the traps that sometimes accompany Move-Find Item panels. It seems like a decent enough combination, though.

3. Finger Guard: Would this be in addition to blocking all of Talk Skill? Or be a replacement of it? On the one hand, Finger Guard could use some more help in being useful beyond just screwing over an already arguably weak-skill set. On the other the, Finger Guard is arguably necessary to prevent Zodiacs and other bosses from getting their Brave destroyed and chance to React by Talk Skill or, far worse, screwed over by Persuade. Then again, I suppose even if that wasn't the case, Last Dance would still be abusive towards Zodiacs, so perhaps it's a moot point.

I guess it depends on what the statuses it makes one immune to are. We're talking about 1.3 Talk Skill statuses, right? Are we just talking about the negative statuses? Or all statuses like how normal Finger Guard doesn't give a damn about whether it's friend or foe? I'm imaging its the former, though immunity to Don't Act, Berserk, Death Sentence and Sleep seems a bit overpowered, especially since it would work 100% regardless of Bravery level. I can't say that I'd agree with that, especially since there's no equipment slot sacrifice.

I'm currently not sure what else ALMA can affect, but I'd say that as long as you're looking at Movements, the Jump +X and Ignore Height abilities need to be looked at as well considering how inferior they are to Fly and Teleport.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

Thanks for the reply...
And thanks for the name suggestions, I truly needed them!
Now...

1) Yeah, Ice would have been better, but I wanted them to make sense...you ignore water and lava, and so you resist water and fire attacks :-)
2) I put in the immunity to poison because that ability works in the swamps as well, and it would be stupid to allow the player to walk in those tiles without giving them an immunity, IMHO
3) Addition, IIRC (Yeah, 1.3 statuses)
I know it looks strong, but if you decide to use talk skill you forgo to use stuff like HP Restore, Damage split, Hamedo, Mp Switch...So, IMHO, it's not SO broken

Jump +1/+2/+3 are still there, they are usefull in some situations...move +2/+3 have been removed, and the same goes for teleport (Replaced with Fly)
I also removed most of the movement boost from item, making that Move +1 somewhat valuable...

P.s: What do you think about adding a support ability called "Regen" that gives you permanent regen?

The Damned

(Damn distractions. I had meant to get to a lot more things before I tried to force myself to go bed, but I guess I'll just have to get to them later on today when/if I get back in the afternoon.)

Not really a problem. Like I said, I meant to reply to this a while ago anyway:

1. Solidify: Oh, the resistance to Water still works and was sensible. It was merely a suggestion as alternative to Water given the name, but resistance to Water can still work over a resistance to Ice in a rational way.

2. Immunity to Poison: Oh, I was aware you gave the Any Ground combo immunity to Poison because of Zigolis--hell, I was going to suggest another special battle there since everyone else, myself included, seems to be doing it; that will have to wait until at least later today, though. Even if it seems perhaps a bit much to do for just one map (since no other map currently uses the "poisonous swamp" tiles), I don't really have a problem with it, especially since it shouldn't interfere with anything that I can think of--you'll still get Poisoned at Balk I IIRC--and it's only one immunity compared to....

3. Finger Guard: Oh, it wouldn't be broken. It would be "overpowered" (IMO), which isn't the same as broken. Everything that's broken is overpowered, but hardly everything that's overpowered is broken.

As for the comparisons you offer, well, IMO, all of those abilities need a nerf and I'd gladly argue that Hamedo & MP Switch shouldn't even exist or, at least, be accessible to the player. That said, it's your patch, so I'm not going to harp on that particular opinion.

Focusing back on Finger Guard, my problem with it is rather two-fold--I'm going to assume that it would keep its other functions of completely blocking all other Talk Skill beyond the 1.3 Talk Skills. The first problem is that the negative statuses it blocks are all rather debilitating ones that prevent action. By becoming immune to Don't Act, Berserk, Sleep and, to a much less degree between its time, the ease of resurrection and use of the "Death Sentence ignores Dead" fix (IIRC), Death Sentence, that pretty much means whatever unit equips it can only be prevent from acting via Stop, which is relatively rare (as anything but a proc), Frog, which only is slightly more common and Petrify, which is more common still but rather difficult to apply in most instances; I'm obviously not counting just killing the unit here for Dead "status" and I'm likewise excluding the wonky Blood Suck status, the pretty much nonexistent Chicken status and the action-dependent-interferences that Charm and, much more rarely, Silence can cause here.

By making Finger Guard immune to those four statuses, you also implicitly screw over Yin(g)-Yang Magic since the only threatening spell it gets left with is Petrify, which is slow, single-targeting and unreliable. I think MA-based classes not named Samurai have it tough enough as it is, really.

As for the second grievance, given that we're on the subject of immunity, I have to say that it with that many status immunities, it seems like it should be like a Support than a Reaction. It ends up being in the wrong category like Abandon or Weapon Guard, especially since it basically becomes Maintenance, except this time screwing over Talk Skill and Yin-Yang Magic rather than (original) Break Skill and (most of) Steal.

I could see maybe making Finger Guard block a couple of statuses or even just a really big one, like Sleep (especially since Mimic Daravon is the only multi-targeting ability Talk Skill has), but all four seems a bit much.

4. Jump +X: Good to know/be reminded about Teleport. I guess I can't say anything about still having all three of the (useless) Jump +X abilities around since I haven't looked at ALMA much yet. So "shrug".

5. "Regen" Support: Doesn't sound like a good idea, honestly. It completely gives the finger to Regenerator AND Distribute, further screw over Poison status (especially with the Any Ground change) and is rather unnecessary with Move-HP Up still around (since unlike Move-MP Up, it's not like that needs to be separated by sex/gender if you're keeping MP Switch around).

I'll try to be around later on today, but right now, I'm going to try to go bed. "Night" and such. (Apologies for any typos above. I just don't feel like double checking things right now considering.)

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

GeneralStrife

Now that the name has changed, your banner, and start screen's names are now outdated. They still say 1.4

Dome

I know :-)
But I want to focus on finishing the patch before fixing that xD

P.s: Today I will "Challenge" my last fight (Exam) and then I'll have one whole month free!!!!!1

The Damned

(Apologies for the delay. Between feeling unwell on Wednesday due to getting only two hours of sleep & not eating anything, having to a bunch of stuff on Thursday and finish laundry & that equipment list in Excel on Friday, I didn't get around to doing this like I said I would.)

So, I was listening to my Flaming Lips CD when this idea came to me (if the name that I'm going to give wasn't obvious enough), though it annoys me how much I'm suggesting with Martial Arts already when I hate that damn Support.

Yoshimi Battles the Grey Robots: Goug Machine City holds many treasures. However, there are some "treasure hunters" would use their knowledge of the machinery not to be better Ivalice, but to bolster their fortunes and positions. With the collapse of Bart Company still affecting the region, few have enough resources to combat it and even fewer have enough courage to. As such, Goug has dispatched the lone Monk Yoshimi to battle against these monstrosities and their owners in muck that is Zigolis Swamp. She could use some help:

Guest Immortal female Monk Yoshimi with Draw Out Secondary, Dragon Spirit Reaction, Maintenance Support, Walk on Water Movement and whatever piece of equipment blocks Don't Act.
Five Steel Giants, backed by five Engineers (Chemist Sprites are probably best), all with Guns (though Spell Guns on all would probably be overkill). Some of them would have Equipment Breaks via Battle Skill Secondary and at least one of them needs Item Secondary (and probably extra durability if only one of them has it).

I was going to name it "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 2" until like four days ago I finally realized that the song already existed on the CD for all these years; it just doesn't have any vocals.

I'll just try to come with some more stuff for other areas given that it seems like everyone is doing something at Zigolis, so this was easy to get out of the way. Besides, it's something to do while ASM'd is on hiatus I suppose.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Dome on July 20, 2011, 02:53:38 pm
I know :-)
But I want to focus on finishing the patch before fixing that xD

P.s: Today I will "Challenge" my last fight (Exam) and then I'll have one whole month free!!!!!1

Dome