• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Specific color palettes

Started by Xifanie, February 18, 2010, 10:29:22 am

Xifanie

Red Armor with Black cape looks way better. It will be obviously red anyway.
Other than that you did a better job. Yellow looks fine to me, White could use some work and I'd prefer a darker cape for brown.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Asmo X

Mav: I liked the first batch more. Go with variety. What's this about the primary colour?

mav

The primary color refers to what signifies what team/palette that unit is a part of. I was going by the assumption that the armor would be the primary color, so I could give the cape a secondary color. In any case I've attempted a different solution: some units have the same armor and cape colors and others have variety. I've given the red unit back his black cape, given the white unit a pinkish red cape, made the yellow unit more golden (though now he could use a new cape color), made the brown unit more bronze and gave him a new cape.
[attachment=0:3vec6xft]lancerspreview.png[/attachment:3vec6xft]
Good, bad, ugly, confusing? Lemme know.

Asmo X

they're pretty cool. I think you should replace the 2nd one down with the 2nd one down from the first batch you made. Blue armour/yellow cape. Replace the one second from the bottom of this group with the the very last one from the first batch. I think that would be make this the ideal sheet

Cheetah

I'm liking your last attempt the best. I don't agree with Asmo's proposed changes. The clarity of the team color is more important than looking good, plus the blue and yellow from the last sheet are some of the best looking. I'm okay with the red with black cape though because it was just too much red before and it does look way cool. The only one I question is the white, I think you could go with your second attempt and even make the cape whiter and make it look good. If it makes it look too light you could make the armor a bit darker maybe?
Current Projects:

Asmo X

I dont understand this whole team colour thing. Like, if I have a sprite with green armour and a yellow cape and another one with blue armour and an orange cape....they....look different....and shit. What am I missing here? They're obviously distinct from one another.

Cheetah

Quote from: "Asmo X"I dont understand this whole team colour thing. Like, if I have a sprite with green armour and a yellow cape and another one with blue armour and an orange cape....they....look different....and shit. What am I missing here? They're obviously distinct from one another.

Read the first post. The point is to be able to identify the whole team, not just differentiating specific units.
Current Projects:

MiKeMiTchi

I'm very pleased you guys are still working on this. I will help sometime soon~
I like the last one, too mav. I like the black one. :)

IMO change the color cape of the white one. Maybe something like the black one's color scheme,
but just white.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

jimmyjw88

I like the red armor and black cape. It looks fantastic. Great job, mav. Great job.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

Heh, red and black combined always look awesome, so it is not a surprise to me this looks great. So far, so good, Mav.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Asmo X

Red and black is a total snoozefest. Ask someone to design a character and 9 times out of 10 the colour scheme will be red and black. It's pretty much a staple of places like DeviantArt.

mav

I agree, Asmo, but I figured red and black would be a crowd pleaser. I'm open to suggestions though. As for the white Lancer, I'm still working on him. The issue isn't actually the armor so much as the cape--I think these capes weren't designed to be lighter shades, but that may just be a cop-out excuse.
[attachment=0:1ttmtscc]whitelancer.png[/attachment:1ttmtscc]
How does this look?

Lijj

That looks good I like the white cape. Maybe the reddish boots could be a cool grat or bluish unless they're sharing skin color
  • Modding version: PSX

mav

They are sharing the skin color, but some of the original palettes went ahead and broke that rule anyways.

Cheetah

I agree that the boots look a bit too dark, but otherwsie this does fine for the white palette.
Current Projects:

MiKeMiTchi

That looks good already for the white one, mav. :)
Maybe you could just lessen the boot's saturation values a bit.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

FFMaster

Just looked through the whole thread. All of these look great to me.

Question - is it possible for monsters to have different palettes depending on which side they are on? When we include monsters, it would get very confusing in a battle if both monsters looked exactly the same.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Cheetah

You might be able to use different shades of their default palettes, because normally their palette indicates what type of actual monster they are so you wouldn't want to mess with that too much. It might not be worth the effort at this point though, until monsters become more popular. Or just make it a batch job of slightly adjusting saturation/contrast and such for all of them equally(though that would likely not work well either).
Current Projects:

mav

Alright, my plan is to lighten the boots for the Lancer and try to insert everything we've seen so far within the next few weeks. I'm at work 52 hours a week though, so this may take a while. Regardless, I'll try to move this thing forward as much as I can.

Thanks for the support, guys. And thanks for moving this topic to this sub-forum.

As for monsters, multiple palettes was discussed, but we'd have to figure out how to differentiate between the tiers of Monsters. Creating their palettes wouldn't be tough though.

Barren

all the new color palettes look amazing. if i were to pick my team's palettes, i'd pick brown
You dare cross blades with me?