• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Is there a way to display move-find items on the map?

Started by Razi, January 05, 2021, 05:59:36 pm

Razi

Is there a way to display location of the move-find rare items on the map? So that rare items are displayed, for example, above the ground. Or change the color of the ground square containing the item.
  • Modding version: PSX

Orkney

Hi,

I can't tell if there is a way to highlight a square holding an item (i mean if you change the location, the highlighted square move too)

But i think there is a way to edit map itself. I can't say how, but there is some custom maps in this forum, if you dig a little you may find a way to do it.

nitwit

You could use FFTPatcher to change the flags so they always trigger traps, giving away their locations. Painful though.

If you want to fool around with display effects, I would set a read breakpoint on a memory address for the move-find item table (maybe use the gameshark tab to locate that address) for a specific battlefield item, then see where it goes. Also search the wiki and see if anything is on there, maybe you can change one of the effects like level down to something else, or make it display a message.

That's not really what you're asking for though, I know.

Razi

There is a map editor Ganesha. It can change the color of a specific square, to highlight a square holding an item.
It looks like the game uses a coordinate system for the move-find items, because the FFTPatcher uses X and Y coordinates to place the move-find items. I don't know, maybe in order to display move-find items, need to simulate as if a character stepped on all the squares on the map. And then the character will raise the item above his head, as he usually does when picking up the item. But, this is just a guess. Or perhaps on the place where the move-find item is located, need to place a chest that remains after the human warrior or monster is defeated.
Does anyone know how to place a chest on the map?

RetroTypes

A chest is just a unit with the "Treasure" status, which you can do with a combination of the ENTD and some ASM hacks that already exist (Xif's Special Snowflakes hack or Glain's new Extended ENTD hack). But as for setting what item(s) you actually *get* out of the chest? I'm not sure if it pulls directly from that unit's previously equipped items or a table of random items, but you may need a custom ASM for manually setting what is in a chest.
  • Discord username: RetroTypes

Razi