• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:27:23 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Chrono Compendium hacking projects go down

Started by FFMaster, May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am

Poco Loco

May 19, 2009, 05:29:25 pm #160 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Poco Loco
look, its as I said before its non-profit, you are not selling it, if you bought it legally, you can legally edit it as you please, as long as you credit the original creator/owner and acknowledge his/her ownership so long as it is promotional and non-profit you can do whatever you want

I know my stuff philsov :p
"I'm Dr. Rockzo The Rock & Roll Clown... I Do Cocaine" LMAO

philsov

May 19, 2009, 05:33:00 pm #161 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteI know my stuff philsov

No, you don't.  

It's illegal to make or own a copy of the game for any purpose.  

When you dump the ROM so you can edit it, you're breaking the law.  When you have an edited rom (or any rom, frankly), you're breaking the law.  

Giving SE credit won't save you from a civil suit.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Poco Loco

May 19, 2009, 05:46:45 pm #162 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Poco Loco
ok man w/e I'm not gonna argue with u online
"I'm Dr. Rockzo The Rock & Roll Clown... I Do Cocaine" LMAO

philsov

May 19, 2009, 05:51:37 pm #163 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
I live in houston and have a kickass couch.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Smitson

May 19, 2009, 07:28:22 pm #164 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Poco Loco got told lol. But wow, fuck SE. Just because they don't WANT those guys to talk about their conversations, whats stopping them? What can they do if the CE team tells us about their convos with SE? The answer is fuck all.

DarthPaul

May 19, 2009, 08:33:52 pm #165 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Poco Loco"ok man w/e I'm not gonna argue with u online

Poco I was saying that that is the way it should be. It is not actually that way, so what you are saying is very off base.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kaijyuu

May 19, 2009, 08:45:22 pm #166 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "beawulfx"No way phil. If I pay for a game I can cut it in half and use the sharpened edge to slice my bastard uncles throat with it. My defense = I paid for it. I can do whatever I want.
You wouldn't be violating any copyright law, though.
  • Modding version: PSX

tithin

May 19, 2009, 08:48:09 pm #167 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteI know my stuff philsov

No, you don't.  

It's illegal to make or own a copy of the game for any purpose.  

When you dump the ROM so you can edit it, you're breaking the law.  When you have an edited rom (or any rom, frankly), you're breaking the law.  

Giving SE credit won't save you from a civil suit.

This, yeah.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

mav

May 19, 2009, 09:18:06 pm #168 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Apparently a kid at another forum (scroll down to Alienat0r's post and open the hidden tag) may have emailed Square to let 'em know about the ROM hack. While no one's 100% certain that the email he posted is legit, the ign and gamespot posts are real and were posted some two minutes before his alleged email, and roughly a month before SE sent the C&D.

LastingDawn

May 19, 2009, 09:46:11 pm #169 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Wow, I cannot believe someone would stoop so low! That is despicable! Even if they aren't allies or even if they are your most bitter enemies, no self respecting human would do such a thing! We have codes of honor! Well I suppose not everyone does... I hope this fellow faces some sort of karmic backlash.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Smitson

May 19, 2009, 09:48:38 pm #170 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
What a fucking prick. I was just about to post it myself. This guy is catching up to George Bush for my world's most hated person.

mav

May 19, 2009, 10:03:18 pm #171 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Well, assuming the email is legit, he's a complete dick and is literally the source of heartache for people. And assuming it's fake, he's still a dick. It was a pointless and tasteless move...not to mention he lied quite a bit in the email: he claimed the CE guys were planning to make a profit off the game, which is undoubtedly what made Square stomp all over the project.

Fuck, I'm too annoyed to really think about this nonsense.

FaustWolf

May 19, 2009, 11:19:18 pm #172 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
QuoteIt's illegal to make or own a copy of the game for any purpose.

When you dump the ROM so you can edit it, you're breaking the law. When you have an edited rom (or any rom, frankly), you're breaking the law.

There's some talk on the subject of "format shifting" at the EFF that may be of interest here:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php

What's been recognized as fair use?

Courts have previously found that a use was fair where the use of the copyrighted work was socially beneficial. In particular, U.S. courts have recognized the following fair uses: criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, research and parodies.

In addition, in 1984 the Supreme Court held that time-shifting (for example, private, non-commercial home taping of television programs with a VCR to permit later viewing) is fair use. (Sony Corporation of America v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417 (1984, S.C.)

Although the legal basis is not completely settled, many lawyers believe that the following (and many other uses) are also fair uses:

Space-shifting or format-shifting - that is, taking content you own in one format and putting it into another format, for personal, non-commercial use. For instance, "ripping" an audio CD (that is, making an MP3-format version of an audio CD that you already own) is considered fair use by many lawyers, based on the 1984 Betamax decision and the 1999 Rio MP3 player decision (RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia, 180 F. 3d 1072, 1079, 9th Circ. 1999.)
Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.

As for alienat0r, any theory that I could come up with just seems so...out there. Did he set a trap by posting those false flag messages at IGN and Gamespot and then linking to them in an email that went straight to higher-ups at Square who make C&D decisions? Did he set up an elaborate hoax meant to garner 15 minutes of fame?

Whatever the case, it would seem that the messages posted at IGN and Gamespot were certainly meant to spread misinformation.

Vanya

May 19, 2009, 11:25:25 pm #173 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I don't have words to express my disgust.
I can borrow some, though.
If the email is real then this person is a genuine...
"Waste of flesh!"
>Shuma-Goroth
>MvsC.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

tithin

May 19, 2009, 11:36:51 pm #174 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Wait, are we sure it was alienat0r that sent that link?

Vanya

May 19, 2009, 11:39:09 pm #175 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
No way to tell, right?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

May 19, 2009, 11:49:02 pm #176 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Philsov, Faust go take a look at my post a few pages back, on page 7 i think.

After talking with Scott(my moms boss), it appears that it only takes an arguement like this to have a judge wave it. Its to controversial, it is vague, flawed, undecided, unrightful in many respects(the obvious ones most people talk about). VERY few reasons did he say that this would be worth presiding over for a judge. In fact, the biggest reason "They created it. They just dont want someone messing with it, doesnt matter what you do with it."

Words from a criminal defense attorney. Seriously, if your anywhere else but michigan, ohio, new jersy, new york, or maine; you can fight them on this and really do some reputation damage to them as a counter. They have NEVER actually gone to court over a C&D. I bet they really wouldnt know how to handle an actual case hearing.

tithin

May 19, 2009, 11:51:03 pm #177 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Philsov, Faust go take a look at my post a few pages back, on page 7 i think.

After talking with Scott(my moms boss), it appears that it only takes an arguement like this to have a judge wave it. Its to controversial, it is vague, flawed, undecided, unrightful in many respects(the obvious ones most people talk about). VERY few reasons did he say that this would be worth presiding over for a judge. In fact, the biggest reason "They created it. They just dont want someone messing with it, doesnt matter what you do with it."

Words from a criminal defense attorney. Seriously, if your anywhere else but michigan, ohio, new jersy, new york, or maine; you can fight them on this and really do some reputation damage to them as a counter. They have NEVER actually gone to court over a C&D. I bet they really wouldnt know how to handle an actual case hearing.

Just putting this out there

13:50   tithin          ò sentinalblade
 13:50   tithin          ò you're right, square wouldnt know how to fight an actual case hearing
 13:50   tithin          ò but their godamn lawyers would

SentinalBlade

May 19, 2009, 11:58:56 pm #178 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Just so you guys know, this was my response :P

<SentinalBladeBlade> tith
<SentinalBladeBlade> you have no idea how many lawyers wouldnt
<SentinalBladeBlade> look at TBP as a reference
<SentinalBladeBlade> all the emails they have, NONE of the lawyers knew shit about what they were talking about
<SentinalBladeBlade> Scott mentioned several other big lawyers here in florida. all of them have no idea how to really deal with a case like this
<DarthPaul> Lawyers are the kings of BS.
<DarthPaul> They don't need to know what they are talking about.
<SentinalBladeBlade> on page 7, i explained why he knows things. he actually hacks FF 1 + 2 for the hell of it. he needs to know he can keep his ass clean
<SentinalBladeBlade> right, but if you know what your talking about, and they dont and make up shit, call em on it

Smitson

May 19, 2009, 11:59:18 pm #179 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
their just bullies..stand up to them and eventually they'll back down...