• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:52:19 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Job Change Joker Command

Started by DonalbaneBeoulve, November 01, 2011, 11:20:11 pm

DonalbaneBeoulve

I came across Czardragon's job change code for Tactics on the PSX. I was wondering if the joker command: D019A204-???? if the last four digits were meant to be left blank (all zeroes) or if there are some missing digits.

Eternal

Forgive my ignorance here, but I haven't heard of joker commands. Mind explaining what they are? They almost sound like Gameshark codes.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

DonalbaneBeoulve

November 02, 2011, 12:04:07 am #2 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:04:34 am by DonalbaneBeoulve
I'm not entirely sure either but it's for use with a gameshark via the Playstation, not espex or emulator.

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=1&gid=4&sid=2101

It's at the very top, just curious if the last four digits are intentionally left "????" or if there are certain digits that need to be placed in there.

formerdeathcorps

This is quite useful.  What you found is a WORLD.BIN unit RAM location, which means we can then place a read on it and find the "job wheel routine".  In particular, 0x1C83F0-44E is the most useful section.

As for your question, 19A204/8/C actually determine the speed of scrolling on the menu.  It has nothing to do with jobs.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

DonalbaneBeoulve

November 02, 2011, 12:43:47 am #4 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:41:25 am by DonalbaneBeoulve
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm sorry but I'm just very confused/thrown off by what you said....

RavenOfRazgriz

formerdeathcorps' is talking about the files contained on the game disk.  Those don't change whether you're emulating or not, things like WORLD.BIN are WORLD.BIN, etc. whether it's a physical disk or a digital copy.  Basically, the talk is always the same, as long as it's a PSX copy of Final Fantasy Tactics, whether it's a physical disk, a .ISO, a .BIN, a .IMG, etc.

He's saying the Gameshark codes you found modify the scroll-speed on the menu.  The ???? part is where the actual speed setting goes, and shouldn't modify Jobs at all.

DonalbaneBeoulve

Thanks for the clarification, so basically I can just ignore the joker command when entering the job wheel code?

formerdeathcorps

November 02, 2011, 01:48:31 am #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:49:11 am by formerdeathcorps
That's right.  However, this code only works during the job change menu.  The moment you enter battle, your Gameshark edits will be overridden.  Furthermore, if you change one of your units to, say, Holy Angel class, the restrictions in FFT's code prevent you from changing back.  Those restrictions cannot be fixed simply by messing with the job wheel; you need to change WORLD.BIN's source code, which can be done by ASM hacking.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

DonalbaneBeoulve

I kind of figured it wouldn't be permanent anyway. Outside of battle the jobs should still be accessible, but basically if you turn off the gameshark you'll be stuck in whatever job you changed to.