• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:35 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Event editing

Started by pokeytax, September 03, 2011, 02:43:53 pm

pokeytax

I am looking for event editing resources to help me write an event editor. I've never touched an event before so I have to learn everything first.

I already have:
- Kokojo's tutorial
- Xifanie's compiler/decompiler (obviously!)
- Event instructions (http://ffhacktics.com/instructions.php)

I need:
Raven's list of events??
  • Modding version: PSX

Pride

Here are the Events Philsov extracted (without dummy text in the vanilla order but they have a few flaws) and Raven's events that have no flaws but are not in the natural order.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

GeneralStrife

I suppose you could ask the people with lots of experience event editing like zozma, koko, LD but LD is never around anymore.

RavenOfRazgriz

September 04, 2011, 01:42:29 am #3 Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:05:48 am by RavenOfRazgriz
I gave you a piece of incorrect info on IRC.  Each Event is only offset by x2000. You'll notice that in places, events seem to be "missing."  These are Setup Events, which are completely blank but required to allow the game to load the map, hence why they don't appear in either Event set.  (Though, my Event Set should contain a Setup Event Template.)

Sorry about that, 'Tax.

EDIT:  Pokeytax is working on a Spreadsheet Event Editor and I'm working on a GUI-based one in VisualBasic, if you have any features you want either of us to incorporate, I imagine this is the best time for them to be said.  Yes, it's dumb and inefficient to work on two, but we're both selfish people making the programs that we'd find most convenient so shut up and accept the fact you'll hopefully get two working programs to make your lives easier to choose from.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 04, 2011, 01:42:29 am
I gave you a piece of incorrect info on IRC.  Each Event is only offset by x2000. You'll notice that in places, events seem to be "missing."  These are Setup Events, which are completely blank but required to allow the game to load the map, hence why they don't appear in either Event set.  (Though, my Event Set should contain a Setup Event Template.)

Sorry about that, 'Tax.

EDIT:  Pokeytax is working on a Spreadsheet Event Editor and I'm working on a GUI-based one in VisualBasic, if you have any features you want either of us to incorporate, I imagine this is the best time for them to be said.  Yes, it's dumb and inefficient to work on two, but we're both selfish people making the programs that we'd find most convenient so shut up and accept the fact you'll hopefully get two working programs to make your lives easier to choose from.

I wish both of you the best of luck, I'm not good with hacking. I'm more hands on artistic and punchy peopley like. Not sure how I could help

Cheetah

Is there a way to make the essentially blank setup events editable as well? The problem that I am having in creating a new game flow is that Attack.out battle setups and event numbers appear to be tied together. So with the current event compiler/decompiler I can't edit those setup events even though I no longer am setting up at that event. Thoughts?
Current Projects:

Pride

I've turned those blank events into actual events before without much difficultly. I'm not too sure what you are asking. You want to use the blank events away from the attack.out slot that you would normally assign to it?
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RavenOfRazgriz

September 04, 2011, 01:20:39 pm #7 Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:21:35 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
Quote from: Cheetah on September 04, 2011, 01:06:12 pmSo with the current event compiler/decompiler I can't edit those setup events even though I no longer am setting up at that event. Thoughts?

Yes, you can.  Just set your offset to the Setup Event you want to overwrite, make sure your ATTACK.OUT info matches the new flow you wish to follow, and apply everything.

I've had no issue doing that when condensing down Chapter 1 by about like 10 or 15 Events, or when making new events as tests.

Also, if I'm not done my Event Editor by midnight on Monday, I'll shit a brick, because all I have left to do is load in all the default files.  Weee, VisualBasic, you make things so fast.

Kokojo

Can help via IRC or msn, if you want.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.