• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:24:39 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Considerations and ideas for future development

Started by Choto, February 11, 2012, 02:36:31 pm

Choto

February 11, 2012, 02:36:31 pm Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:13:34 pm by Choto
Ok, I will now try to channel my thoughts into more useful documentation. I'll try to list the features that I think would make editing easier or more versatile in each tab of the control panel.

Classes:

Name + ID
Stats (Multipliers/growths, or any other mechanics)
Class Requirements
     - other job level requirement (lvl 5 squire --> knight)
     - event requirement - for a story mode, an option to set "if X event occurred, unlock job"
     - gender/race requirement
Sprite + palettes - would be nice to have this info here if it fits
Menu Items aka. skillset
     - multiple assignable slots
     - any other menu commands available for class
Party Bonus
     - this could be pointed to a list of stats, innate abilities, elementals, or anything else that could be desired. Chaining like you mentioned seems like it would work perfectly here, and in all the other places where bonuses/attributes can be applied.

Class disabled at/by - this option could be used if you want to have a "red mage --> red wizard at job level X" although i'm not sure how it would best be implemented.

Class based forbids - This could point to a list (or chained) of things that are forbidden while unit is this class. EX: if unit is knight, forbid skillset black magic.

FFTPatcher options - this is just in reference to the options given in patcher:
-starting/always/immune to status
-Elemental affinities
-equipable items

Skillsets

Name + ID

Skillset ability referencing - Aside from Skillset --> abilities, an option to reference another skillset would be useful in creating a "Red Magic" type skillset:

Skillset = Red magic, Skill 1 = (Reference skill 1 of "black magic" skillset), Skill 2 = (Reference skill 1 of white magic)

Skillset stat bonuses - This would point (or chain) to a list of bonuses for assigning this skillset as a secondary skillset. If desired this would allow more customization.. may be unnecessary.

Labels - not sure how to go about this, but this would be things like mp cost, charge time, item quantity (for item abilities), or whatever else is labeled in the skillset.

Global flag - Makes a skillset innate for all units, for important things like Attack, Defend, etc.

Direct Command Flag
-bypasses opening a skillset so that the skill is displayed along with skillsets. This would be your "Attack" command. If flagged, the skillset could be limited to one ability that would serve as the function for the command. Ex: defend, Runic (FFVI), etc.

Abilities

Name + ID
Range
AoE
Verticle considerations - FFT handles this two ways, one in relation to the casting unit (verticle fixed), and one in relation to the target area (verticle tolerance?). So maybe having "Verticle tolerance" the
CT
Resource Cost
Cooldown
Critical hit Chance

Usability requirements - A full set of options that check unit data as well as target data.

Ability element/elemental damage

Base Accuracy
Accuracy modifiers

Damage/Healing formula
Status changes - on target AND on caster

Damage/Ability Effect Modifiers - increase damage, stat increase/decrease, whatever you want, etc.

Additional effect proc - can be linked to another ability, status effect, stat change, etc.

Learned by:
-JP
-on hit
-on sight (# of times to be seen?)
-crystal inheritance
-event

Sprite Animation - it would be convenient to store this with the ability, or skillset in your system I guess

# of hits - this should have a "replay animation" flag, so that you have a choice between "striking once and effect goes X times" or "striking X times each time triggering effect"

It would also be nice to control the time delay both between weapon strikes, and between effect applications. If you could do a rapid multi-hit ability and have the effect trigger rapidly, it could not only make smaller damaging-rapid fire abilities fun and useful, but fill in the visual effects with more applications. Think machine guns, autocrossbows, rapid fireballs from a wizard, repeating fist, etc.

Environment effects

Unit spawning/despawning - Would be nice for boss fights to have abilities that spawn minions, or to give a class niche summoning things.

Item quantity changes
-usable items that break
-thrown items
-chemist items
-anything else you want to do

Custom effects: This may be an ongoing thing as more things come up to add to make new exciting ability effects. By effects i mean what the ability actually does in this case. Here are some that come to mind:

-ability gives control of the unit to the caster
-option to have the ability affect allies differently than enemies
-ability that steals status buffs from opponent
-ability that spreads buff from caster to target
-ability that spreads debuff from target to other target
-ability that sets caster as targets primary target (taunt-ability)
-ability that casts the ability that the target is currently charging
-Runic type ability - when hit, stores ability as useable

some of these examples are easily doable by stat manipulation, but others are kind of unique that i'm not sure can be put in in a generic way. If they can be implemented though, it'll make the ability something special and exciting.

ability affected by weather/terrain tile/ in water

That's all I got for now

lirmont

February 14, 2012, 11:19:12 pm #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:10:01 pm by lirmont