• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:59:45 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How To Fix Portraits in GraphicsGale

Started by Zetaro, February 10, 2011, 10:36:25 pm

Zetaro

alright i have tried the tutorial, but right after i crop the picture nothing happens its still the same. i have tried to switch out the palette and it just makes it worse. can someone shed some light on why its not working for me?
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!

Celdia

Can you clarify a bit? We might be able to help you better then.

Are you trying to replace the portrait to insert a custom sprite or are you trying to edit a pre-existing portrait until something new? Your use of the word 'fix' in the thread topic is rather vague.

Which tutorial? What step are you on in the tutorial?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Cheetah

Well Graphics Gale is the correct program. Getting portraits to work correctly is all about placing stuff in the palettes correctly. If you have your color mode correct then the palette for the sprite should show up as a whole bunch of rows of 16 colors. The sprite gets 16(including black) colors and the portrait get's 16 colors. The first 8 rows are for the 8 differen't sprite palettes, and the follow 8 rows are for the portrait. I usually start with a sprite and then paste in the portrait from another window and then copy and paste the palette in.
Current Projects:

Zetaro

thats what i did but the portrait does not change at all for some reason. it is 16 i kmow it is, but every time i put the palettes either nothing happens or the portaits colors dont match. The tutorial in documetations. step 5 is where im stuck.

Cheetah

Which tutorial are you referring too?

It wont look correct in GraphicsGale, but it will look correct in ShiShi.
Current Projects:

Zetaro

like i said its in documentation, the name of the topic is the name of the tutuorial.

Cheetah

There's a tutorial in the documents for the program? Sorry I'm confused.

A screen shot of what is happening and what your palette looks like would be helpful. Or just post the two files you are trying to combine.
Current Projects:

Zetaro

Cheetah

So I think what you are saying is that with your completed sprite the portrait is still using the same colors as the sprite and not it's own palette.

Honestly I don't know what the point of Mav's tutorial is, because it doesn't matter. As long as you have your palette correct it will work fine in ShiShi and in game.

Plus I don't think you are doing anything wrong in step 5, I think it will look exactly the same.
Current Projects:

Zetaro

February 14, 2011, 11:50:53 am #9 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:51:38 am by Zetaro
well i supose your right...its just i did it before i just cant remember how...i guess i have to redownload GIMP and see if i used it to do it. (GIMP was the only way that i was able to change formation screen character and world face anyway.)

Celdia

I think Mav's tutorial is out of date or something. It doesn't seem to have any bearing on anything at all and Shishi already pulls the right palette for the portraits and applies them on screen when viewing the battle sprites. If the plan is to get a picture with a portrait that looks like it does in-game, just import the sprite in Shishi and take a screenshot. It won't be a proper sprite sheet but then if you change the portrait to look normal on there that wouldn't be a sprite sheet anyways.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Zetaro

yeah your right, but what if i wanted to edit the portrait. Shouldn't i make it normal?

Cheetah

Always edit the portrait separately anyways. It's sideways and crap anyways.
Current Projects:

Zetaro