• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Confirm learn on hit message doesn't appear (solved)

Started by Haplo, July 12, 2020, 08:10:30 pm

Haplo

First of all, hello, and nice to meet you all.

So I started making a mod many years ago and got the bulk of the work done in a few days, only to find out later that fine tuning details and playtesting to see if that fine tuning had produced the desired results took a lot of effort and more time than I had available (I also procrastinated it whenever I did have time available but that makes me look bad so I put it between parentheses), so I never finished it. Anyway now I have a lot of free time so I'm trying to complete my little project and I need some help.

I never ran into any problems that I couldn't solve by myself, until now. What happens is that I modified Ultima (the Ramza version) in ways I'll describe in a little bit and I removed it from the Use Hand moveset; instead it's used by an Undead Knight in the coillery underground first floor. It's still supposed to be learned on hit by Ramza. Unfortunately, when Ramza is hit by it, the message asking wether you want to learn the skill or not isn't shown. Instead the cursor shifts very rapidly between Ramza and back to the Undead Knight and Ramza learns the skill automatically (the learn chance % is still set at 100). While this doesn't technically hurt anything, it looks unpolished as hell and it annoys me.
Like I said I'll give some details about how the skill is modified, since I don't know what's relevant and what isn't:

(edit: please check out the bottom first)

-I said it's gone from the Use Hand moveset, however what I actually did was rename Use Hand and make it the Undead Knight's job command, and gave some other job command to the Assassins. I did this to try to solve the problem, thinking that if I kept the spell in its original moveset the problem would go away. So it's still in Use Hand, but Use Hand has been moved to another job.
-Also, in the ENTD, I'm actually setting the Undead Knight's job command to '36 Use Hand' instead of 'default' because otherwise the guy won't use the move.
-the range is 3 instead of 4
-CT is 4 instead of 5
-costs 24mp instead of 10
-multiplier is 25 instead of 23
-under tags: has weapon strike, ignore silence and require sword, no longer has hit caster
-under AI behavior: has ignore silence
-the animation is different (01 00 00 in version .492 of the patcher), the unit looks like they're charging a spell while it's charging, then swing their sword as they cast it
-everything else is the same

and which ASM hacks I'm using, again becasuse who knows

-death sentence ignores cancel dead
-all monsters can use monster skill moves
-undeads ignore phoenix down
-remove slowdown from math skill
-elemental fix v3
-remove permanent br/fa alteration
-no monster breeding
-jp scroll glitch fix
-status effect bonus damage hack

I've tried patching a fresh iso to see if that would solve it by the way, and it didn't. Also I'm just realizing as I type this but I've never learned any other spells on hit on this mod so I actually don't know if this happens to all learn on hit spells or just this one. My bad.

So, thanks in advance for putting up with the long read and for any help you can give me  :D  :D

Edit: So I did some testing and apparently what happens is that the confirmation messages for wether you want to learn the skill or not aren't showing regardless of which learn on hit skill is being used and regardless of who's using them or getting hit by them (the unit being hit always has the right
job of course). This forces me to take a good look at the patch and try to determine which information is relevant in order to reformulate my question.
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

Easier if you just post all the relevant before and after images of the patcher and such.

You could have made a mistake without realizing it that we would notice

Haplo

let's see

I'm not sure what the before images would be, like I said I don't really know if there was any point in my mod when this problem didn't occur. Before I changed these particular elements to this, they were untampered with, just like in vanilla FFT.

3lric

You see see whats its like before your mod, by just opening fftp and making a new patch, and not loading yours...

And did you confirm that other, learn on hit, moves are still working as intended?

Haplo

Quote from: Elric on July 12, 2020, 10:29:46 pmAnd did you confirm that other, learn on hit, moves are still working as intended?

I just tested it with Ice 4, both being cast by the same undead knight, and by one of my own units... and the exact same thing happens. Seems like all the learn on hit confirmation messages are gone, and the game automatically makes the unit learn the skill.

3lric

Quote from: Haplo on July 13, 2020, 12:26:09 amI just tested it with Ice 4, both being cast by the same undead knight, and by one of my own units... and the exact same thing happens. Seems like all the learn on hit confirmation messages are gone, and the game automatically makes the unit learn the skill.

Sounds like you made a derp in tactext. May wanna look thru there comparing to a vanilla one and make sure you didnt remove the dialogue

Haplo

OH MY GOD

IT HAPPENS BECAUSE THE NAVIGATION MESSAGES WERE OFF

Why??? The navigation messages are the most annoying thing in the world, yet if you turn them off a gameplay element looks like it's broken??

I'm so glad I didn't sleep for this

ANYWAY

All fml jokes aside, I could't have discovered this without your assistance Elric, it was only after discarding all other options, as per your suggestions, that I was able to fathom this eldritch possibility, thank you very much for your help.

hahaha what a self own wtf

3lric

Quote from: Haplo on July 13, 2020, 05:58:27 amOH MY GOD

IT HAPPENS BECAUSE THE NAVIGATION MESSAGES WERE OFF

Why??? The navigation messages are the most annoying thing in the world, yet if you turn them off a gameplay element looks like it's broken??

I'm so glad I didn't sleep for this

ANYWAY

All fml jokes aside, I could't have discovered this without your assistance Elric, it was only after discarding all other options, as per your suggestions, that I was able to fathom this eldritch possibility, thank you very much for your help.

hahaha what a self own wtf

It happens. Glad you got it worked out, lol