• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:01:26 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Talking With Yasumi Matsuno (And his ideas for a FFT2!)

Started by Eternal248, June 28, 2011, 05:50:25 pm

Eternal

June 28, 2011, 05:50:25 pm Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:31:12 pm by Eternal248
Yasumi Matsuno being the guy who made the Ivalice series of games. I Tweeted him here: http://twitter.com/#!/YasumiMatsuno and he responds to most of his Tweets- including my own. I asked him what he'd change about FFT, and he said he'd be interested in a FFT2 about the Fifty Year War. If you can, show your appreciation for both he and the Ivalice series!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

LastingDawn

I'm still trying to convince him that he's already said that VS and FFXII are in the same world. He's already tried to write off Alazlam, Ultima, and a few other things in VS as fanservice, but that doesn't make much sense.

Though that is interesting that the sequel to FFT was supposed to be about the Fifty Years War... Which, since it's Matsuno likely means that he has everything already written up.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Havermayer

June 28, 2011, 10:40:10 pm #2 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:41:49 pm by Havermayer
Ask him what he thinks about this site and the AI tourny.

Also, did the manga/anime Berserk serve as an influence for FFT?  There's some overlap in themes, and elements. 

MysticKnightFF5

I'm not sure informing him of what we're doing to his game is such a wonderful idea.

Havermayer

Quote from: MysticKnightFF5 on June 28, 2011, 10:55:31 pm
I'm not sure informing him of what we're doing to his game is such a wonderful idea.

Presumably he'd be flattered.  If you're afraid of the Square legal department, well, we're posting vids to youtube.  We're not super popular, but we're not that hard to find. 

MysticKnightFF5

That's true, we're not, but it seems like that'd be equivalent to saying, "We're shameless about screwing with your game and putting power rangers in it"

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: MysticKnightFF5 on June 28, 2011, 11:17:35 pm
That's true, we're not, but it seems like that'd be equivalent to saying, "We're shameless about screwing with your game and putting power rangers in it"

Well, I am shameless about screwing with his game and putting Power Rangers in it.

MysticKnightFF5

formerdeathcorps

June 29, 2011, 04:29:05 am #8 Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:30:26 am by formerdeathcorps

I'm ambivalent here.

Matsuno seems like the kind of grand ambitious writer of epics who probably would understand fans attempting to write similar such works or making crossover hacks (it's essentially fanservice for a different fanbase).  I don't think he's exactly on the friendliest terms with the guys who only look at development schedules and money since they've shot down or forced him to curtail some of his more ambitious ideas in the past (and ultimately, it's going to be executives like that who'll order the legal team to send us a C&D).
AT the same time, I can't pretend that Matsuno will like everything any hacker will make; that's asking too much from any human being (and given his contacts with Square, that might pose some risks).
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

MysticKnightFF5

He's obligated due to his job post to report us if we make it glaringly obvious we're here.
It's like telling your boss you do drugs. They can ignore the obvious warning signs all they want, but they HAVE to report you if you tell them anything.

Cheetah

This is sweet, I'm not a Twitter guy though. Someone mind asking if the 50 Years War game was going to star Balbanes and Cid? That game idea is the reason why I originally came to FFH.
Current Projects:

RedWorld

OwO This is news! If this ever comes out, I would be so excited! ^w^

Too bad I have a Twitter, yet no one cares to follow me or that. OTL (One of the reasons why I don't use Twitter anymore)

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Eternal

As it stands, Matsuno just announced today he's working for Level-5 now, who's done Dark Cloud, the Professor Layton series, and Dragon Quest VIII/IX. He wants to experiment doing games "kids would enjoy" as well as new franchises. Which means we may not see another Ivalice game for a very long time, if at all.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

MysticKnightFF5

GREAT, level 5 f*cking sucks. [/ragequit]
I'm in favor of him not making a second FFT now.

Havermayer

I asked him:

"@YasumiMatsuno 1. Did Berserk anime/manga serve as an influence to FFT? 2. Have you ever thought about writing a manga?"

RandMuadDib

the first dark cloud was decent. I own but didnt play the second one. Whoops i almost blamed them for Naughty Bear, which was actually 505.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

pokeytax

Square Enix has a terrible, litigious legal department. Final Fantasy Tactics is their property so it really doesn't matter how cool Matsuno is, attracting their notice is an awful idea.
  • Modding version: PSX

Eternal

And there's no reason to, really. He probably would never visit us to begin with.

Kagebunji

Seriously ask him about the 50 Year War. I need to know wheter he will or won't do it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Havermayer

Quote from: Kagebunji on June 29, 2011, 05:14:15 pm
Seriously ask him about the 50 Year War. I need to know wheter he will or won't do it.

This is probably not an issue of whether he will or will not, but whether a studio will fund it.