• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:32:32 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A little bit of philosophy talk~

Started by Nova, January 02, 2009, 11:32:29 pm

Nova

January 02, 2009, 11:32:29 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nova
RawEssence = me            

<RawEssence>   Anyone have have an answer to why things live
   <Miroshi>   my aim is Eternal Lies01
   <Darth_Paul>   I think mine is expminus10
   <Darth_Paul>   Gotta log on to check lol.
   <Darth_Paul>   @ Raw things live to die.
   <RawEssence>   Anyone in for some philosophy talk
   <RawEssence>   Darth_Paul: then go die
   <RawEssence>   like, now
   <Darth_Paul>   Wow you sound like asmo.
   <RawEssence>   If that's what you think why things live
   <RawEssence>   Then we should all kill ourselves, at this moment
   <RawEssence>   Would you like to re-answer? :P
   <RawEssence>   Yeah, my whole opinion on this is
   <RawEssence>   You live life to enjoy and explore life itself
   <RawEssence>   to experience feelings
   <Darth_Paul>   Thats the way it work nothing more to it.
   <RawEssence>   But when you take a step back and look at it all
   <RawEssence>   there is no purpose to it
   <RawEssence>   none
   <Darth_Paul>   Your starting to depress me cause what you say may be true but it depends on how you tackle life.
   <RawEssence>   Depends if you want to look at it in the real way
   <RawEssence>   :P
   <RawEssence>   Yeah, it is depressing
   <RawEssence>   Knowing the truth, or at least being able to see it
   <Darth_Paul>   Think of it the way I do I'm here to play mah bass, rock some video games, and when my body gives out I die.
   <RawEssence>   oh, I do :P
   <RawEssence>   Maybe someone dreaming of sex will make them wake up and go get some LOL
   <RawEssence>   there, enjoyment found
   <RawEssence>   So this convo over
   <RawEssence>   XD
   <RawEssence>   SO FINAL CONCLUSION
   <RawEssence>   Purpose to living: listen,feel,enjoy
   <Darth_Paul>   Indeed.
   <RawEssence>   should i post this onto forumz
   <RawEssence>   make peeps depressed LOL
   <RawEssence>   oh, and a 2nd final conclusion
   <RawEssence>   SEX = 99% OF LIFES ENJOYMENT
   <RawEssence>   GET OUT AND GOGOGO
   <RawEssence>   FAWMPFAWMPFWAMP
   <RawEssence>   there, that will make people smilie :D
            <Darth_Paul>   Nice sex is one of the best things about living.

philsov

January 03, 2009, 01:07:54 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
As nice as existential angst is, the purpose of life (in the biological sense) is to survive, and possibly procreate or improve the quality of life of both the self and those around it.  If having fun is what helps you stay alive, then, sure, "listen, feel, enjoying" is the purpose, but the underlyer is survival.  If there was no listening, feeling, or enjoying, would you still want to live?

There's plenty of wastes of skins out there, mind, but when you get down to it even if a lot of people don't want to live, they certainly don't want to die.  

http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10.html

Pretty much any query will do to prove my point.  

~27000 suicides in 2005 in the US.  Compared to the roughly... <1.5 million deaths in the US?  Pretty small by relation.  

There will always be outliers :p  

And I say survive and then possibly procreate because there's usually a direct ratio between food supply and fecundity rates in pretty much all species (WHOAMG at sub-sahara Africa in general), and then there's the whole maslow's hierarchy bit.

Oh, and he's an xkcd on the matter.

Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Zalge

January 03, 2009, 01:31:17 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Embrace your dreams.

Archael

January 03, 2009, 01:38:07 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
agree with pretty much everything philsov said

Cheetah

January 03, 2009, 02:53:18 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I work in a children's psych ward, and I see depressed suicidal teenagers everyday. I blame hormones for teenage angst. I believe pretty much everyone goes through it, I know I sure did, and it gets much better when you get past those years. The thing that got me through it was I was just really curious how it would all turn out, and I still am. And if you want some statistics to think about, think about how many sperm your dad shot out, and think about how only a few days a month that would have made any difference, and think about how all your life experiences have made you who you are today and if any little thing had been different you would be a totally different person and not you. Not sure if any of that made much since, but that is just my perspective from being able to see what I what I was like when I was a teenager and how much has changed from that and that time and determination can solve pretty much any problem.
Current Projects:

Dormin Jake

January 03, 2009, 08:39:21 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
My love for xkcd flows from the deepest recesses of my heart.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 06:52:44 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I blame hormones for teenage angst.

It's not hormones that cause suicide;it's the way society treats people who arn't good enough to be a part of that society! maybe it's because they are eccentric,but thats no reason to outcast those eccentrics!and because of the way they are rejected,they feel like they arne't good enough to live!

okay;said a little more than I was planning;but I'm 15 and I know what it's like to be one of those outcast,and it isn't the hormones that would cause
suicide

anyway;we live because we were made to live for some purpose beyond human understanding
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

DarthPaul

January 04, 2009, 10:27:41 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
But SBB your explanation falls back on hormones because in the teenage years it's hormones that cause people to be different than other, noting this is not always the case as I was different by choice, and if you look at it society is to blame for much of what teenagers go through. At the same time though teenagers cause their own problems with their constant angst.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 10:44:34 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
no,
teenagers cause other teenagers' angsts
populer people don't commit suicide as much,it would seem
but teen suicides are caused by hormones,to some extent
it is the first group of teens that push the second group to suicide
and the instability of their mental state that cause them kill themselves
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

DarthPaul

January 04, 2009, 10:58:46 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Think of it my way my angst caused me to lash out at my teachers on occasions which landed me in detention more often than not.

^One example of a teens angst causing his problems.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 11:03:28 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
^One example of a teens angst causing his problems.
never said it was my problem

DarthPaul

January 04, 2009, 11:05:59 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Not to sound like an ass but your problems don't matter as much as you think they do.

Just take my approach and look at the bong as half full.

Samuraiblackbelt

January 05, 2009, 03:21:48 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
never said my problems matter(they don't even matter to me)
but that is amazing advice

DarthPaul

January 05, 2009, 03:31:45 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Why thank you my problems don't matter to me either with this mentality.

philsov

January 05, 2009, 04:11:09 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "Samuriblackbelt"no,

Only in some cases.  That's a gross overgeneralization.  In some cases they're mentally ill in the truest sense of the word, and are just too scared to ask for help.  Or this.  Or that.  There's a plethora of reasons.  But not every teenage suicade can be traced to "Cool Johnny laughed at me in the locker room."

Archael

January 05, 2009, 05:13:06 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael

wtf!!!

Koizumi

January 05, 2009, 05:40:58 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Koizumi

That's definately only in some cases.

Samuraiblackbelt

January 05, 2009, 06:14:15 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
okay
that was a little over generalized
and it was just me ranting about someone I knew
sorry

philsov

January 05, 2009, 08:15:18 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote<Darth_Paul> Nice sex is one of the best things about living.

You need to experience the different sex variants, Darth.

AngrySurprisedFace

January 05, 2009, 09:54:06 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AngrySurprisedFace
Apparently we live because God wants us to look after the other lifeforms he created.
He essentially gave us rule over the earth and everything else on it.

"and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so (Genesis 1:28-30)."

So to answer your question, we are here to look after everything else. We are supposed to be, I guess, caretakers of the Earth.

Of course I'm a little bit of a skeptic on this entire idea of God and his creating us, but w/e.

Personally, I believe that we live to be another piece in the puzzle of the universe, and the universes beyond that. Eternity so to speak. We live to exist. I think that the idea of "why things live" is something human beings cannot comprehend fully - and I doubt will ever be able to comprehend fully.