• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:21:46 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Maps

Started by Xifanie, September 29, 2007, 10:23:24 am

Xifanie

March 27, 2008, 07:12:57 am #120 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I wasn't able to output so whole thing in a file so it took 5mins for my cmd window to reach the end after printing all the instructions and text.

I'd still have to include text so my decompiler can match yours. Now it's just doing crap by taking every block of 0x2000 then decompiling it and stopping at 0xDB.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

gomtuu

March 27, 2008, 04:50:33 pm #121 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zodiac"I wasn't able to output so whole thing in a file so it took 5mins for my cmd window to reach the end after printing all the instructions and text.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that not everyone is familiar with the command line. :) You can pipe the output to a file by adding "> decoded.txt" (or whatever filename you want) after the command. So, if you ran it like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Zodiac\Desktop\temp>python dectestevt.py D:\EVENT\TEST.EVT
Do this instead:

C:\Documents and Settings\Zodiac\Desktop\temp>python dectestevt.py D:\EVENT\TEST.EVT > decoded.txt
That'll create a file instead of outputting everything to the console.

gomtuu

March 28, 2008, 05:56:01 pm #122 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
This probably isn't a big surprise, but I've been working on incorporating the trap data and character placement grid data into map2gl. Here's a preview. Magenta squares are traps/items. Green squares are starting locations, and of course the triangles point the way the character initially faces. I still have to test it more, but it's working fairly well.

karsten

March 29, 2008, 09:53:51 am #123 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
great, really! your work is astonishing

Zozma

March 31, 2008, 06:45:00 pm #124 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hmm this map thing looks great but have no idea what im doing when it comes to python...

you know what i love about this site? everyone sees it and everyone can contribute something different... i myself can do sprites... this map thing i dont get at all tho id love to... i just cant get it.. but perhaps if i make certain event battles someone could make some edits for me limiting the amount of characters you can put in? heh.....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

gomtuu

April 01, 2008, 11:34:30 am #125 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Zozma, I've sent you a PM since you didn't seem to notice when I offered to help before. :)

And if there's anybody else who wants to use map2gl but can't, I'd be happy to help you through it. I regret that it's not as easy as downloading a program and double-clicking it, but I don't want that to stop anybody from being able to use it. There's really not all that much to it, just a few programs you have to install. I can even basically do it for you with Copilot if you want.

Edit: By the way, map2gl is not an editor. It just views the maps.

-Don

gomtuu

April 01, 2008, 11:59:49 am #126 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Here's the latest version. Changes:

20080401 - 0.17
  • Added preliminary support for placement grids.
  • Added support for traps and Move-Find Item data.
  • Gave friendlier names to GNS items in info window.
  • Reorganized code a lot.
  • Added controls to camera window.
  • Improved texture transparency. No more flames in black boxes.

Zozma

April 01, 2008, 09:21:10 pm #127 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
thank you gomtuu, weather im able to figure it out or not from your assistance, i really appreciate this. :D

Cheetah

April 02, 2008, 04:58:20 pm #128 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Wow Gomtuu you have made amazing progress on this. I'm glad that everyone is collaborating so well on this project.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

April 02, 2008, 08:09:22 pm #129 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Welcome back, Cheetah. Yes, there have been some interesting developments while you were gone. :)

gomtuu

April 03, 2008, 10:29:07 pm #130 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Good news, everyone! (Or Windows users, at least.)

I've finally succeeded in creating a map2gl exe file! :!: This means you don't have to install any weird garbage on your computer to get map2gl working; just download, unzip, and double-click on map2gl.exe!

The zip file is ridiculously huge at 10MB, so I don't think I can post it to this forum directly, but here's a link. Try it out!

As for the non-Windows users or those interested in the source code, don't worry, I'll still be releasing the source whenever I release a new version.

-Don

Cheetah

April 04, 2008, 02:23:29 am #131 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
That is great news Gomtuu. I think I am one of the few mac users around here so I think this will help out a lot of people. Plus I have means of getting this stuff running and will need my own windows machine to run most of the programs used around here anyways.
Current Projects:

Zozma

April 04, 2008, 04:26:17 am #132 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
what a great thing :D.... figuring out what to set up just to run it turned out to be a nightmare for me lol...

Xifanie

April 04, 2008, 07:48:50 am #133 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Will you release a regular python version too?

10mb takes me about 45 minutes to download...
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

gomtuu

April 04, 2008, 08:32:31 am #134 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Yeah, I'll keep releasing Python versions. The only changes from 0.17 to 0.18 are some fixes for the README file and the fact that 0.18 is able to be built into an EXE, so I didn't think a Python release of this version would serve any purpose.

Xifanie

April 04, 2008, 11:08:31 am #135 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Since when can we do all this stuff with the camera? so sweet! :O

Seriously there are only 2 things left that I want to see from this program:

- No more graphic glitches
- Enemy starting positions

With those two more things I'll be able to create all the necessary screenshots for the site. =)

karsten

April 04, 2008, 11:16:31 am #136 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
you forgot a most important thing!

A MAP EDITOR! :D

gomtuu

April 04, 2008, 12:52:39 pm #137 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zodiac"- Enemy starting positions
- No more graphic glitches

Enemy starting positions wouldn't be too difficult for story battles since we know where the scenario data is and I can use it to cross-reference map numbers with ENTD entries. But I haven't found anything like that for random battles (though I'm working on it). Of course, it'd be really nice if I could also read the sprite data and put enemy sprites on the map, but I know next to nothing about sprites at this point. I thought about using the item sprites to show the items you get from traps as well, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet either.

What graphical glitches are you talking about? Can you describe when they happen and/or post screenshots? I do know of a few minor glitches: one has to do with lighting on moving polygons (like the gears in the windmill shed) and another makes things look funny if you set the zoom level and FOV angle to extreme values.

Quote from: "karsten"you forgot a most important thing!

A MAP EDITOR! :) I thought about announcing something like that on April 1st, but I decided against it.

-Don

melonhead

April 04, 2008, 03:40:54 pm #138 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "gomtuu"The zip file is ridiculously huge at 10MB, so I don't think I can post it to this forum directly, but here's a link. Try it out!
When you uploaded this file, did you accidentally muck up the permissions on your /fft/ directory? I get 403 forbidden when I try to access it. You had some great info there.
Quote from: "gomtuu"Of course, it'd be really nice if I could also read the sprite data and put enemy sprites on the map, but I know next to nothing about sprites at this point. I thought about using the item sprites to show the items you get from traps as well, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet either.
This sounds awesome. Thanks to some guys involved in the Q-Gears project, I've had some success in assembling sprite frames from the random tiles.
(From THIS to THIS)
More: http://istaken.org/rtload/kanzen/

Cheetah

April 04, 2008, 06:12:42 pm #139 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh Melonhead that is awesome. Being able to do a quick preview of sprites in the different frames will definitely speed up the process of making custom sprites. Much better then inserting the new spr file into the ISO, loading up the game, and then waiting for ever to preform each of the motions you want to see in motion but having it happen all way too fast.

Gomtuu I like your idea of having the enemy sprites showing up on the map preview. Very nice little touches.
Current Projects: