• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:55 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Archer Skillset

Started by FPSeph, October 30, 2018, 04:38:23 pm

FPSeph

Hi guys

I have a question about archers, as we all know they're an almost useless job in the game so with that in mind I wanted to create new skills for it, like:

-Poison Shot - Damages the enemy with a chance of inflicting poison
-Berserker Shot - Damages the enemy with a chance of inflicting confuse
-Paralysis Shot - Damages the enemy with a chance of inflicting stop
-Flaming Shot - Causes fire damage
-Head Shot - Causes double damage to the enemy with a chance of inflicting KO, but takes longer to charge.

And so go on.

The question is, is there any way to edit the Aim skills to inflict status effects or is it impossible?
  • Modding version: WotL

Nyzer

It could be done with ASM, and I'd be surprised if some didn't already exist that could do this, as I know some have been made for that exact purpose with normal abilities.

That said, everything except having the CT work properly could be done just by burning some regular skill slots, if you so wished.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Raijinili

Nyzer, OP is probably modding PSP, since they said "Aim" instead of "Charge".

IIRC, there's a certain ability you can edit to add status infliction to all Aim+X, but... it adds status infliction to all Aim+X. However, that contradicts my understanding that Aim+X uses the weapon's status infliction properties.

I don't know if you can add element to a skill using the Aim formula. It might ignore the skill element and use the weapon element.

Quote from: Nyzer on October 31, 2018, 07:22:20 pmThat said, everything except having the CT work properly could be done just by burning some regular skill slots, if you so wished.

What do you mean by "having the CT work properly"?

There are a few unique properties of the Aim+X skillset type. I ought't've written it down somewhere, but I didn't. From memory:
- Charge time is not affected by Swiftness.
- Cannot move after Aim+X.
- BMG says moving while Aiming cancels it.

I assumed a fake would use the channeling pose (two hands up), rather than the Aiming pose (horse stance?). However, Cloud's Limit uses the Aiming pose, so it's something else controlling that. Maybe the Weapon Strike or Ignore Silence flag?

Nyzer

QuoteWhat do you mean by "having the CT work properly"?

I made a personal patch for the PSP that edited the Archer skillset; IIRC I had to change it around a little. Though maybe it was just that I swapped it for the Calculator...? Honestly it's been long enough that I don't exactly remember that.

However, a regular Weapon Range skill with CT has some trouble if you use this skill and then move. I can't remember if the skillset itself still blocks it or warns the player like it normally does with Aim if you change it to a normal skillset type, but, gun to the head, I don't think it does, after my experimentation with the above.

Pedro Henrike

I want to change the name of the skills of some classes that I replaced, how do I?
the error appears: DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has NOT been modified.
  • Modding version: PSX

Heisho

Quote from: Pedro Henrike on November 28, 2018, 03:39:29 pm
I want to change the name of the skills of some classes that I replaced, how do I?
the error appears: DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has NOT been modified.

The reason is that sometimes (almost always) you will find this error while patching text for the PSP version. Reasons are unknown but what helps is that you must patch EVERYTHING on one shot. Also you can't use Xifanie Text editor since at the moment is not fully compatible with WotL.
Also, in my personal experience, I did deleted some text in the OPEN.LZW file on the Text Editor, specifically on the names of Units (beats me why). However this method is not 100% effective and I don't why it happen.

In short, is very difficult to patch text for PSP, but is doable, just make sure that you never close the editor and you can make as much changes as you want, even after patching text. The positive part of it is that patching is way more fast than the PSX version and you can see the the changes very quickly.

Good luck.
  • Modding version: PSX
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

BleuVII

Sorry for the late reply on this. I've been off of this site for 2 years. I'm only replying because I did exactly this on FFT: Emergence.

Archers have the following abilities:
Rush (increases speed by 1. Since speed is used to determine the shot accuracy, it also increases accuracy)
Poison Shot*
Blind Shot*
Silence Shot*
Slow Shot*
Sleep Shot*
Confuse Shot*
Berserk Shot*
* All shots use the formula [3F - Hit_(SP+X)% NE], with X ranging from 50%-65%

I was going to include "Fire Shot", but instead settled on turning the "Silver Bow" into the "Fire Bow", and sticking with only status effects for the Archers.

To accomplish this, I cheated. I actually did a series of sprite swaps:
Archers -> Knights (who get the Aim/Charge skillset)
Knights -> Monks (who must be mastered for the Dark Knight)
Monks -> Archers

The Aim/Charge ability cannot be edited, and needs to remain in the game. Since I re-arranged the job tree so that Knights grew into Lancers, I thought it thematically appropriate for Charge to be the necessary training for Jump. The "Rend" abilities were replaced with what you see here, and the abilities in the "Martial Arts" and "Battle Skill" skillsets were swapped.

If that all seems like a confusing headache, let me assure you it was! It's the reason that I had bow-wielding Monks and Knights in v1.0 of my hack. But it was worth it.
  • Modding version: WotL