• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 04:26:35 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

WLDTEX.TM2 file format

Started by Phoenix, August 20, 2008, 11:04:15 am

Phoenix

August 20, 2008, 11:04:15 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Phoenix
Hi all, do you remember me? (i think you don't :P )
I'm Phoenix from SadNES cITy.
Some of you knows we are working on Final Fantasy Tactics translating it into italian. We discovered a lot of things about text files format, graphics (mapping info etc.), the compression used by the game.
We also succeded in importing the new PSP translation (after translating it into Italian, of course!) into the PSX version.
Recently, I studied the WLDTEX.TM2 file, i found it's an archive wich contains the whole world map and other minor graphics (Location names, spites etc).

I wrote this doc explaining how this file works. I hope you're interested in it.

This is and example on how my tool can manage this file.

http://www.sadnescity.it/backup/phoenix/wldtex.jpg

LastingDawn

August 20, 2008, 11:23:02 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Very interesting... we've been wondering about this for quite a time! Though how did you have room to put all of the WoTL script into FFT?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

August 20, 2008, 11:41:08 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Pwnage! this is sure to be extremely valuable! =)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Phoenix

August 21, 2008, 06:09:19 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Phoenix
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Very interesting... we've been wondering about this for quite a time! Though how did you have room to put all of the WoTL script into FFT?

We used two types of text compression:
The native game Compression and DTE (Dual Tile Encoding) coded in MIPS assembly. Some file can be compressed with both encoding (even if they weren't  originally compressed), but there are other files that can't be compressed with the first one  (the ones which are not totally loaded into RAM, but only partially).
Furthermore, it's possibile to use the PSX compression on PSP, and even DTE (we used graphical DTE for menus on PSP, though).

CidIII

August 21, 2008, 08:24:09 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
You ARE GOD!
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

LastingDawn

August 22, 2008, 11:44:54 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh yes, Phoenix, you said you ported all the text from WoTL THEN changed it to Italian? If so, do you happen to have the original just ported files with the fitting WoTL text?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Phoenix

August 22, 2008, 03:53:06 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Phoenix
Nope, we (or, better, my teammates  )  first translated the PSP script, then pasted it into the PSX version (a double copy&paste would have been useless, don't you agree?). Anyway, we might release the tools we programmed in the future (not right now, though, they still need some finishing touches, before being published online). Anyway, all you need to import the PSP script are DTEs, a working compressor, LZW de/archiviator and a text/dumper. You can even import some graphics from the PSP version without problems (such as the battle objective and so on).
By the way, if you add DTEs via assembly, you can even restore the "special" dialogues that you characters have in the formation screen, the ones which were deleted from the original PSX version. It's impossible to import them without DTEs because there's not much space, though.