• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:53 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

Eternal

I'm loving those portraits. The hands look great, IMO.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Cheetah

The male is looking great now. I actually like the hands as well. The female's face is still a bit odd, maybe a brand new mouth?
Current Projects:

CONMAN

I love these "dudes"!  How long has this concept been in the works?  I'm sure I've seen proto-mindmasters way back in these forums.  I didn't think this could get pulled of so well! (I already tried this in game and it looked solid- I might try it with innate float next time)
  • Modding version: PSX

RavenOfRazgriz

The female looks a bit too masculine, personally, unless that's what you were going for.  I can't pinpoint what it is, I think its a combination of her face shape and the way closer to the viewer rests on her head.  I'm not really sure, though.

Good news - hair itself looks great.  For once I'm not going to go all GRAWR THESE DON'T LOOK FFT GRAWR because it came out pretty damn well.

GeneralStrife

I think its the jaw...when I look at it, cut 3/4s of the head off and just peek at the bottom, it looks like a mans jawline.

mav

The female also has a somewhat sterner impression than the male--the eyebrows and the mouth are less calm and more fierce. This may also be leading to the illusion that she's masculine. I find the portrait fine, personally.

Kokojo

I can't tell how much those are awesome, Lijj.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Lijj

Another dream came true. Thank you FFH.
I changed up the female a bit (her jaw mostly) and went ahead and paletted these:

Kagebunji

Great job, Lijj. I wonder if you will submit those?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Mando

He said he will kage :) speaking of which... had a chance to look over the blue mage male and gambler for quality purposes yet :O?

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Lijj

September 25, 2011, 12:01:00 am #611 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:03:18 am by Lijj
I hope to in the next few days, during this lull, revamp some of my old portraits... Here are the first set:

jimmyjw88

September 25, 2011, 12:30:57 am #612 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:38:13 am by jimmyjw88
Lijj, you're not using any FFT's reference? Because their face, eyes, look.....odd. The hair for the male is too bright. You need more shadows, like at his back hair, around his ear, etc. For the female, her back hair around her ear should have more shadows and getting brighter as it goes up, instead of adding dark lines around the lines.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

I did use a couple refs but wanted to make them unique.. I did try to conform to FFT style but wanted him to look mean and her to look bitchy.

jimmyjw88

September 25, 2011, 07:05:27 am #614 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:13:14 am by jimmyjw88
Well, I understand that you're trying to be unique but try to mimic FFT style then turn it into your own.

Example of fix:
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

That looks nice Jimmy.
I am just out in the woods and don't have an ISO on me so getting original portraits for reference is hard. I like that you kept the expression I was going for there though. I will adjust the eyes of the girl as well a bit  tonight.

Lijj

Ok as suggested; a revamped Rogue.  I also fixed the male Knights and the female based on Jimmy's critiques. I may of well have just used Jimmy's but I like to do things myself so there are a few things different in mine, but it's pretty close to the same.

jimmyjw88

September 27, 2011, 09:10:45 pm #617 Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:28:05 am by jimmyjw88
Lijj, I will update some fix that I've made later when I get back.

EDIT ~ Update (28/9/11)
Alright, here.

Noted that I changed the blues and whites as the colours that you chosen seems dull. They need some contrast in them.

Lijj

Jimmy, my only concern with the brighter blues is the way they transition into the shading browns less smoothly. The whites do look better though.
I'm not liking the female myself but don't know if I have time to work on her at least for a few days. So if you feel up to messing with her portrait I'd be glad. I will be working for about 11 hours today and yesterday I worked about 12, this may persist for quite some time. The next time I work an 8hr day I will try to work on that female unless you get to her sooner.
Thanks for helping me refine FFT style (I suck at it or copying in general).

RavenOfRazgriz

You've improved some on the hair, Lijj.  It's not perfect yet but you're getting much better at it, if that Male Rogue you basically did from scratch is any indication.  I'm not a big fan of the non-neutral expressions on units meant to be "Generic", since you're forcing personality onto the faceless, but I can't say your execution of it looks bad.

The Male Rogue I think is mostly suffering because you don't have the shading style down yet and I personally think he might just have a touch too little hair of all things, but that's it.  Maybe level the shoulder a bit on the viewer's left so that it goes out of the frame, having it round off seems a bit unnatural, but that's the only real critique I feel I can make there.

The Knights (at least/especially the Female) I think just need far more sweeping redos of their hairs.  They're still suffering from a lot of the problems they had initially, even though I can see on the Male Knight especially that you've tried your best to address them.  Based on your Male Rogue portrait, even if the shading is an issue still, you should be able to get it looking much better than it does now at the very least in terms of shape and stuff because you've become much better at that.  The Female Knight is just really weak in general, so you may be better off just redoing her from scratch when you have time.  The Male's coming along and definitely improved, so I think you can fix him up if you work on the hair shaping a tad more (not much), and get the shading down as you get better at it.

The Sahagin in your avatar also looks pretty damn amazing now that you fixed up the colors to be the gritty FFT-style ones over the bright ones you had before.  Very well done.