• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 10:44:24 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How come Skeleton / Ghouls sprites don't turn Purple when..?

Started by Archael, October 11, 2010, 11:58:13 pm

Archael

They are under the Undead status?

Zalera is like this too. They are Undead, but they don't get affected by Undead status' purple re-color.

What part of the game tells it that "this sprite shall not be colored purple when in Undead status"?

Vanya

I would think that it's something in the sprite file itself, but it could also be hard-coded.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

• Modding version: PSX

Archael

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Isn't it connected to job number?

you think?

Kill_Bones

It's like that in all FFs I've played. In FF8 theres that body double undead guy, he has his own colors. But if zombie is put on you, you change colors. I think the idea is the same here. Revnants are always undead, so theres no need to be purple, you immediately know its undead. But on a human, you would have no way of knowing without the color change. Square probably hardcoded it into the game as vanya said. besides, how anoying would it be if all undeads were purple?

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Archael

This isnt because i want to make a job purple when undead, on the contrary

I want to make more jobs undead without the purple

@Vanya:

What do you mean by "hardcoded"?

There is something about skeleton, ghoul, angel of death jobs (or sprites, or job slot) that makes them impervious to undead status color change

Im asking if anyone knows which one of the above it is

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I don't know, but why don't you try removing a skeletons inherent undead, and then inflict undead on it in battle, and see what happens?

Vanya

Generally speaking the term hardcoded refers to when a game has specific code for a very specific case as opposed to having a bit/byte of data in a resources to control the effect.
So the undead status itself is just a bit that tells the algorithm that it is active where as the special case of non-tinted undead jobs have special code somewhere that most likely checks the job/sprite number and cancels the visual effect if it matches one of those being checked for.
I think the most efficient way of doing this would be to include this code within the Undead status itself. So I'd check there first.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

Your welcome. ^_^
Make sure and let us know if you find anything.
¯\(°_0)/¯

BeoulveBlack

Vanya

Thanks for confirming that.
Is it the same with the normal undead?
If it is the case, then it shouldn't be too difficult to track down the data that controls this feature.
¯\(°_0)/¯

BeoulveBlack

I think it something about both the ghost and the skeleton's sprite, perhaps something in their palettes...

I really wanna know seeing as how I want to make a vampire character

Vanya

I don't have time to do this myself, but here's what I would do.

We know already what parts of the sprites contain the header, the graphics and the palettes. Removing these ranges and concentrating on what is left over we could compare those to the same areas in a non-undead sprite and make a comparison in a hex editor. That should tell us what bytes are different. This should narrow things down considerably. Then just start changing values and testing should reveal the relevant data.
¯\(°_0)/¯